Cannell re-route - more singletrack. Comments needed by Apr 20

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by evdog, Apr 15, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    You heard it... USFS wants to move Cannell trail out of some parts of the meadows and off the dirt road south of Big Meadow. Plan is to have motorized multi-use trail above the road.

Here is the project document. Comments due April 20th. Details including maps in the link below.

http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/pdf/CannelBypassFS-Letter.pdf

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    For those of you have ridden this trail, is this proposal a good thing?

Faust29, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    More singletrack is always a good thing.

Faust29, Mikie, rossage and 1 other person like this.
  4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I am guessing the Stewards of the Sierra will be involved in the trail building. They do a great job on reroutes.

Faust29, Mikie, rossage and 1 other person like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    If they build it, it will get ridden.

I am not a fire road hater. I love those dirt roads. Like freeways for the forest. Except, oftentimes, they are closed to vehicles, with little to no traffic. I use them as connectors between trails and destinations.
    Climbing fire roads gives a rider the chance to talk to breathless friends until they, or you, can no longer speak. A chance to regroup. A time to refuel.

Making more single track is always a good thing. The road isn't going to go away and will always be an option in case of mechanical or injury or book.

Faust29, mtnbikej, littlewave and 6 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Of course I immediately went to my gun locker but then as @LLPoolJ said, the SOS is a great group, know what they are doing and it could be MORE singletrack which I am always up for. If it keeps the chunk, still connects to the Plunge... Mikie Likey!

7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I think so, overall. I prefer singletrack to fire road, and the road we ride after Big Meadow was one I never enjoyed. Like Rossage says, if you like riding that road you'll still be free to do so.

The one bummer is the new route will bypass Cannell Meadow. That is a very nice piece of singletrack. In my comments I'm going to ask they preserve a bit of that trail in the meadow, because it is totally unique riding. But if they can keep the trail close enough that you get good views into the meadow, then I'd be ok with it. The south end gets into some stream crossings which is part of what they want to avoid.

The other concern is this will make the trail moto-legal all the way from Kernville to Sherman Pass. Not sure how much moto traffic this would add, as motos probably wouldn't want to descend back down this route and only other way down is Sherman Pass Rd which is street legal only. Trail sees a ton of MTB traffic on weekends, and motos will mostly be going uphill, so there is some potential for conflict there. At least you can hear them, but I'm not sure how much fun it will be for them trying to go uphill against an army of Cannell shuttlers.

Cannell Meadow
    DSC03000_zps2gsfwtqq.jpg

DSC03002_zpsi59zxjmz.jpg

kioti, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That stretch through the Meadow is just so unique, so good it can't last...

9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Well, I got a reply from the Forest Service today and it is good news! I commented that this section of trail through the meadow is very unique and helped make the route one of the best in Socal. (I practiced some amazing restraint and managed to refrain from using the term overrated in my comments ;) )

Assuming I am reading this right, the existing trail in the meadow will remain for non-motorized use and the Cannell bypass will be new moto trail construction. So those who want to bypass the road will be able to do so on the motorized trail, and then pick up the non-motorized segments where desired. This should also open up some loop opportunities for us as we could ride out on the meadow trail and back on the moto trail or vice versa.

The response:

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    The Forest Service guys in this area do a great job. I had no doubt!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?