Can I ride up Santiago Peak?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Lost Kiwi, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:47 PM.

1. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Right for some perverse reason I think I want to ride up Santiago Peak tomorrow. Last time I was here was just after the Holy Jim fire and when I inquired at a local bike shop they told me no chance until January. However now talking to some of the guys in the office they think it should be fine.... In saying that I'm pretty positive none of them even know what a bike looks like so I'm taking their advice with just a little skepticism.

So my questions are, can I ride up there at the moment? Is it worth riding up there? Which is the best way to go about it if I'm staying on Portola parkway?

If the answers no then other suggestions on good spots to ride would be appreciated. Only places I've ridden so far are Whiting Ranch and across to the Luge. Need to do something new.

Cheers all!

2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Danmtchl, Oaken, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yeah, Harding or Maple Springs are really your only options. Maple Springs being the shorter and easier of the 2.

Yes, you can ride to Santiago Peak. It is closed to vehicles, but open via foot or bike. You CANNOT continue past Santiago Peak.

Is it worth it? I do quite enjoy it. It is the highest point in the OC. On a clear day you can see forever.....but probably not tomorrow.

4. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Maple Springs is probably better for the first time.
    The weather can be different up top than at the base, and it’s worth bringing layers/food/etc.
    It’s a nice view.

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    With the Santa Ana winds blowing, you'll be able to see forever.

Danmtchl and bvader like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I'd go the Maple Springs route... You can park on the road about 1/2 mile before the forest gate on Silverado Canyon Road. Or... You can continue through the forest gate and park at the bottom of Motorway Trail about 1/4 mile into the forest. There's a little dirt parking lot on the left.

Three miles on the pavement gains approximately 1000 feet. It sucks... 4+ more miles on the dirt will get you to Four Corners. You'll be able to see Modjeska Peak to your right. Head for the towers by turning right on Main Divide (not Harding which drops into the canyon to the right). The forest gate to Modjeska Peak is closed and locked. There are signs saying it's closed. The forest service says that foot and bike traffic is ok up to Santiago Peak.

From Four corners to Santiago Peak is about 4 miles and 1400 more feet of climbing. I think the total for the route is about 4500 feet of gain.

I always look at the peak weather before heading up there... This page has Sierra (north end of the range), Pleasants (farther south), and Santiago Peak. http://www.airsites2000.com/weatherstations.htm

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Post up your planned "wheels up" time and location. You may have company. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Champion, thanks everyone for the advice! My current thinking is to take @Faust29's advice. Park before the gate and cruise on up. I'll probably aim to head off around 10 / 10:30ish. If you see a white jeep something or other on Colorado plates abandoned on the roadside then I'm already sweating out beer 5 or 6 on the climb.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    "Wheels up" sounds like a bad plan! :whistling:

10. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Cyclotourist likes this.
  11. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Posted up the result in Ride Reports, here is a copy :)

Dragged my sorry arse up Santiago Peak. Unfortunately had to start later than planned after UK family emergency. Massive thanks to @Faust29 for the advice, came in handy! Must admit you weren't lying when you said the first few miles on the pavement suck. That and stuff going on back at home playing on my mind had me considering turning back early on more than a few occasions but I persevered. Got a bit confused by the closure sign at Modjeska and headed a bit down Harding and then one other one before realising that I had to ignore the closure sign. Was pretty broken by the time I got to the top, that last beer last night may have been one to many :bang:

Glad I did it though, the view is something else. My potato spec iPhone doesn't do it justice but you get the idea.
    sp-looking-towards-laguna-jpg.46170.jpg

The mighty Proflex appears to be a little worse for the experience unfortunately, gears are not happy and the front shock is topping out with a distinct metallic clunk. I doubt there is any damping actually happening. Bought some Sierra Nevada Double IPA on the way home to soothe the sore bits.

Don't think I'll be doing that route again, I'm not a fan of riding down hills when you have muppets in trucks blasting up. Only one close call but mostly because I was being overly cautious thanks to nearly losing a mate after he smeared himself all over the front of a forestry truck back in the day.
    Bikes had another clean in the hotel shower, chain lubed, gear indexing back where it should be. Ready to do a quick lap round Whiting in the morning before heading into work.

12. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @Lost Kiwi that is kick ass Simon! Glad to see you got up there.

Cyclotourist, Lost Kiwi and Faust29 like this.