Breaking News thread!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Apr 10, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sram warns that you will void the warranty of the first gen 12 speed RD if used on the next gen, even though it does work.

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtbMike like this.
  2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Hmmm

From what I read, the new derailleur works with both the 50 and and 52. But. The old one is not recommended to use with, or guaranteed to work on the 52.
    Maybe that's why no warranty?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    This is exactly what was said in the Worldwide Cyclery video they put out today.

Danmtchl, Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That’s what I was referring to. They tried the old RD on the new cassette and it shifts into the 52 tooth OK, just not as smooth as the new RD.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Shimano.... for the win! :thumbsup:

6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Not even. I have Shimano on the gravel bike. I actually had an entire set of XTR 12 speed ready to go on the new Ripley. I rode @pperrelle’s bike with the new XTR and that convinced me how much smoother a properly tuned SRAM Eagle drivetrain is.

Danmtchl, Mikie, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This may be a party foul, asking questions before doing my own research, but am I understanding correctly that, at least in terms of gearing, this new cassette is really just a bigger granny gear? I feel like the 50T is at the limit of usefulness as is. I mean, I use it more than I like to admit, but I feel like I'd tip over with an even bigger cog. I guess I could see its usefulness if someone is wanting to increase the size of their chain ring, but at 32t, which I believe is the most common, I don't think I even have the ability to go to a larger ring on my bikes.

Edit: just read the release. X01 looks pretty snazzy. Maybe a case of contempt prior to investigation with the extra 2 teeth, but that doesn't necessarily strike me as an upgrade.

Danmtchl, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  8. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Pepsi or Coke? LOL

Danmtchl, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's a no brainer. Pepsi pop is always better.

10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I’ve been drinking Pepsi since I was a kid. I will NOT drink Coke but love Mexi-Coke. I’ve won $$$ from people who didn’t believe I could tell the difference between Coke & Pepsi.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    SRAM comes out with a 10-50 cassette. Shimano stops dragging their feet and releases a 10-51 cassette. SRAM gives it a year then releases a 10-52 cassette. Your move Shimano.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    SRAM simply changed their cassette from a huge 8t jump to a massive 10t jump. Big deal. At least Shimano understands that there are some really cool numbers between 42 and 52 that make climbing more pleasant without coming to a near standstill. :thumbsup:

Marketing bullshit. And you have to buy a new derailleur (or modify your existing one) to get to the gear you will never use. My guess is they will soon eliminate the 10-50t cassettes so that you SRAMinators will have to "upgrade" your derailleurs.

13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    They probably get complaints from folks who miss their triple chainrings. I have to think that even with a clunky jump to 52 teeth or more, it’s less clunky than a triple.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm guessing that they got no complaints at all - but had to one up Shimano's 51t gear, which of course, was intended to one-up SRAM's 50t. The front derailleur has been dead a long time now (thanks to SRAM), so I don't think there are many out there still complaining about the range provided by a 3x or 2x drivetrain. Dedicated mt. bikers have an intense fear of missing out, and are willing to open our wallets to stay at the forefront of any innovations we are told we need.

heyitsdave, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Maybe this would woo a newbie, but most folks with 2000 rides behind them know what they want.

I can picture this being mounted by the OEMs on lower end bikes for new riders worried about hills, then 3 months later when they come in to the shop complaining about a bad shift or snapped chain, they can be sold on a 50t. If it keeps them away from an ebike, I’m all for it.

Redman, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sram is outdoing Shimano by offering a lower granny (52 vs 51). That’s all this really is. But with a 52 tooth granny you might be able to slow grind up The Wall from a dead stop at the bottom. Otherwise, if you wanna turn your current 50 tooth into a 52 tooth in terms of lowering the granny gearing, simply change your chain ring to one size smaller.

17. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Except this is gx and up only. For now.
    Even mid range bikes are commonly specced with nx now. Most entry level are sx.

Fwiw I'm pretty happy with the 50..., But surprisingly haven't had to use it very much.... The 42 has seen a lot of action ..... And the 36 is probably my most used....

I guess as a bail out it's not bad... Since it's not frquently used.
    I'm sure if I did more rides over 2 hours my legs would appreciate it
    But I'll stick to 50 as long

18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    With my 30t chainring/42 cog I’m frequently spinning out on road sections, so I’m looking forward to a 34/50 on the next machine.

19. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’ve read that Europe held on to triples long after we let go. >500% range is expected by some.

I say let them hype one extra tooth, it will keep them occupied so they don’t feel the need for another mandatory upgrade like Boost or xD.

20. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Guess I'm not dedicated enough. Still running 42-32-22 on a nine-speed 11-34 and will be as long as components are available.

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Unless one is tired of chain slap or drop, no reason not to IMO.

Making their ridiculous jump does not constitute outdoing of anything. Unless they're vying for the biggest cog jump, it's a sheer fail.

herzalot, Danmtchl, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I would have no problem putting a triple on my Kona. 44/32/22 up front with an 11/36 in back. Beat that, one-by people!!!!:rolleyes:

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    WRONG!
    The new 12 speed XT shifts like Buddah. To include under power in both directions. The 2020 Shimano drive trains are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

(Seriously, is sliced bread really all that great? o_O I mean c’mon now, I would have no problem slicing my own bread. I tend to like the slices a little thicker than the factory setting anyways. Home made bread is way better than store bought bread and we have to hand slice it. So what’s the big dealio?)

Danimal, herzalot, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Here is, I believe the strategy of Shimano.
    Let all the bird dogs kick the bushes to come up with their new concepts and when the market indicates it’s going to settle on something for a while they toss their engineering department at it and come up with a solid update.

All the other companies have to innovate and build proprietary products to capture a share of the market.

Shimano makes solid products with a solid safety factor built in and if you don’t go XTR, still very affordable.

Danmtchl, fos'l, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    With a 30/42, I imagine you would spin out on roads. I run a 32/20 and spin out all the time. :whistling:

:p

herzalot, Danmtchl, fos'l and 7 others like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My Kona will never see a triple. Life's too short to have complicated gearing. :p

Danmtchl, fos'l, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice of you to show up and toss out that spinner, Mark... :p:thumbsup:

Beat it...like your chain will do to that drive-side stay on bouncy stuff??? (Not hard to find with a hardtail. :D)

Cheers. :)

Faust29, Danmtchl, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Shifts like Buddha? I didn't know he rode a bike. :eek:

In all seriousness, I prefer the overall Shimano feel, but either works...

Unknown.jpeg

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  29. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I see no need to rush out and buy the new stuff. I even have what is now new old stock (NOS) on standby for the next bike. That being said, tons of people lambasted the 11-50 from SRAM when it came out with people calling the largest cog a “dinner plate”. Fast forward a few years and it might be on more bikes in some form than any other drivetrain.
    Fast forward another year or so and Shimano finally sees the light and gets on board....but with an even bigger 51 tooth but nobody bashes them for going even bigger, most just salivate and go all in on the new 12 speed stuff. This is almost like politics, if one company goes bigger it’s ignored or thought of as the second coming but when the other company does it, it’s excess or stupid or just marketing. Remind me to drag open this thread when Shimano goes to 53 or 54.
    What I’d really like to see is a very usable range of 1x8 or 1x9.

Faust29, Danmtchl, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I said Buddah, not Buddha. :rolleyes:

And yes, he rides, the dude is a good Tailwind customer. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?