bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by blixet, Oct 22, 2016.

1. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Sound from down below like gravel for bearings in the bb so I finally pulled it today. Cheapo Truvative Powerspline that came with my C-dale hardtail 29er. :thumbsdown: Cleaned a lot of dirt and some metal shavings out (some threads on the left cup are boogered up in a weird place-not like it was cross threaded when originally installed), lubed the crap out of it, tried to let some oil soak into the innards by standing it on end and turning the shaft w/a pool of oil around it. Now it just sounds dirty when I turn it by hand, but it is surprisingly quiet when ridden, fortunately. Think I will just order a new bb for now and look at upgrading it in the future. The Shimano octalink will fit in there but I would need new cranks, so for the few bucks it costs I think I'll just swap it out with another cheapo.

Old&InTheWay, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  2. Anacondadontwantnone

Anacondadontwantnone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Anaconda Dont
    mike, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  3. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    The Truvativ finally clunked around too much so today I replaced it with a new one. No more clunkage! But I think the threads on the non-drive side are pretty boogered up about half way in. So a big wrench and smash that bad boy in place. When in doubt. No tap that size so eff it. Ride it till it craps out. Got 5 yrs out of the 1st one at least. Call me Senor Frugal.

Old&InTheWay, mike, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Don't force it. Use a bigger hammer. :Roflmao:thumbsup:

mike likes this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    If you can get a hold of one of these. May help you out a bit. F3745CA9-D3C5-4BFA-8969-AC1197B77E6A.jpeg

mike and rossage like this.
  6. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Well... I have 2 hands, but other than I don't have that tool, yeah, sure, I am happy to use sompun'. My FIL (passed at 95, bless his soul) was a machinist so I have all kinds of taps and dies but the bottom bracket has stumped me. Eff it,the thing ain't sloppy so don't care. 5 more yrs and it's time for a new hardtail 29er or whatever is the rockin' shite at that time.

rossage, Old&InTheWay, mike and 2 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Wow...... :eek: You got 5 years out of a SRAM BB? We can't get 8 months out them....and that is because she has 3 bikes.

8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I thought the Shimano was bad at one year. Then I tried a Race Face. That lasted 6 months.

blixet, rossage, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I have used Wheels Manufacturing for a few years now since my SRAM BB kept going out, without any problems. Would like to try a Praxis one some day.

10. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I just cycle through XT BBs. I keep one in stock in my garage for the inevitable...

11. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    I've been having tool envy since looking at the pic of those taps. If I am going to change the bb more often, I'll need to deal with that spot. It looks to be about half way in.

12. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    I have 2 bikes and I do alternate regularly. I knew it was going funky after a couple of yrs. But it didn't get really bad until the last few months. Maybe a combo of luck and laziness.

mtnbikej likes this.