Bomb Squad Roller Coaster Ride!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    And a roller coaster ride it was. A Bomb Squad of Ross, Jason, Luis, Jose, Burt and my self met at my place at 7 to depart and meet up with Jason at the Plantation trail head. 8:30 and all accounted for. A little maneuvering and we get to the parking spot across from the trail head. Up we go from Plantation to skyline, across to Pirates, up Pirates, down Fall line, back to Skyline and all the way out to the end to loop down secret trail to the car. Sounds simple right? One hell of a roller coaster ride! More ups and downs than I can remember. The cool thing was it was all single track that kept your focus all the way. Kudos to Hans and his crew for creating a tough trail with beautiful scenery, turns, drops, jumps, stunts and tech to keep your mind off the pain, mostly. With every punchy climb you could count on a down hill on the other side. Thanks to Ross, we actually deviated from our original T-2 route but that was a good thing. Ross knew our preference pretty well and by not dropping to town and staying up on the ridge kept us from a longer climb coming back up in addition to adding fall line, Oh Yeah! Now the payback. Ross had other plans on the way back. The climbing back on the far west end instead of descending Plantation was the toughest of the day, Shoulda known, Ross just loves to put a hurt on you! In his defense though the down hill of Secret trail in the end was great! No mechanicals, flats, one Rossage tire fart and an over the bar of which none of us got to see! These guys were in their element, very strong. I spent most of the time enjoying the scenery and trying to keep up. I had done a small section of this with Lodgepole about 15 years ago so I was not in hurry to get back up there. Then I started hearing and seeing the posts of how good it was and made it a point to get to it. Ross had it on his list too so the rest was easy. Great ride guys, with Jose, Luis and Ross bantering back and forth all day it had to be good. Burt you are rocking that new enduro as was Jason on his new stump jumper fattie! (My new 9.8 was here when I got home.) I will definitely be back. Oh ya and of course a stop at Rocky's Road house to refuel!
    TTB

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0265.jpg

herzalot, Faust29, jaime and 16 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    You guys totally suck! :cry:
    So glad you guys had an awesome day!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Ditto!!

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    +1!

Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    +3

Ha ha! Bite me!!!!

What a great day on the BB Skyline trail. TTB lined up the logistics, T2 provided a topo map route that we kind of followed, and we all rocked Skyline from end to end, with fun stuff added. Weather conditions were summer-like, I wore a t-shirt and UV sleeves, never used my vest. Just to make sure it wasn't perfect, I had to go otb over a momentum-stealing rock at slow speed, and then while showing off my (lack of) jumping skills, an off-camber landing burped my rear tire-but with minimal loss of sealant and easy to fix.
    Seems like Rocky's was worth the 20 minute drive down to Running Springs, and the "junkyard dog" sandwiches filled our empty gas tanks. And I mean gas!!!! Pffft!!!
    Always a great time with TTB, Luis, Jose/Carlos/Ronaldo, Burt, and Jason.

scan, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    As the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat, so there's more than one way to ride Skyline in BB.
    I've always done skyline from east to west, but Tom's idea to start near Plantation trail based on T2's ride route, meant an out and back on 90% of skyline. Like Ross mentioned above, we kinda followed the original plan but the deviations we made were a blast. Next time I hope we take Fall Line trail all the way to the bottom or do one of the other options on the west end. That just means more climbing and more mileage...:eek:

Didn't take many pictures because we were busy riding, but here are the ones I managed to sneak in:

IMG_3718.JPG

The crew taking a break at Grand View

IMG_3719.jpg

Just in case I forget where I left my bike and gear.

IMG_3721.JPG

Picture of Rocky's Roadhouse and Jose the junkyard dog

IMG_3722.JPG

Thanks @Tom the Bomb for the invite and setting this up. :thumbsup:

scan, Cougar, UPSed and 8 others like this.
  7. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Big Bear was lookin fine, can't wait to go back. Thanks for shuttling and setting this up Tom! Good ride and thanks for the pics guys.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  8. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  9. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Very cool looking loop guys! I need to get some saddle time in so I can start joining some of these rides again!

Tom the Bomb likes this.