Blatant begging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by uzziboy, Nov 1, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    Ok, I’m not a big poster here. But I’m here to ask a favor from all of you. I have a coworker who is like a sister to me. I’ve known her for 20 years and love her to death. She has a son who is 12 and is really getting into mountain biking. She has no clue what to do. And even more so, does not have a lot of money.

So I’m here asking if any of you have any spare parts laying around collecting dust? I’m going to frankenbike something together for him as a surprise.

I know most of you like myself upgrade all the time ( i do have some parts also ). But i really want to make a kids’ Christmas memorable and give a best friend some breathing room not spending a fortune on one of her children.

I will take anything but looking for something that can last awhile. Starting with literally nothing and going from frame down. If you can help out it would be greatly appreciated

My name is aaron. Phone number is 949 842 1771. Email is uzziboy1@gmail.com

Mikie, siata94, bvader and 8 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oh we got this right IMTBers?

How big is the lad? Can he handle a full-size bike? I am guessing a 26 or 27.5 would be the target. There has been a flood of used parts for sale here in the past week, so I'm thinking there could be a lot more lurking in our garages. I don't have much but I have seatposts, a saddle, a crankset, grips, some 27.5 tires, maybe a few other things...

Mikie, siata94, uzziboy and 6 others like this.
  3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If you go 26er I should be able to help. Don't have a frame but could help with a fork, wheels, brakes, bars etc. Would it help if we chuck up what we have and see if we can cobble together a ride for this kid?

Mikie, uzziboy, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have some parts, but you have to get the frame first so we know what you need. Get the frame and we can go from there.

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, uzziboy and 3 others like this.
  5. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I have some stuff. I think I have 31.8 riser bars, pedals, specialized size seat post and a few other random bits.

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, uzziboy and 2 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Who's got a frame? I think we need to know the young man's size first. @uzziboy

Fueledbyex8, uzziboy, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You don't post often, but you do post... :thumbsup: You're not a stranger, like the guy who keeps popping up wanting us to get in touch with 20 generations of our ancestors. :facepalm:

Hopefully we can find enough in our garages to get the kid riding. Kids belong on bikes...

Mikie, uzziboy, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ooh... Seeing @Sasquatch9billion 's post above reminds me that I have a set of Crank Brothers flat pedals. I've had them for a few years. They aren't new, but they don't have many miles on them and they're in good shape. Free to anyone under the age of 16. :p

Mikie, uzziboy, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  9. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I have bars, a stem, grips, and some other odds and ends all in good shape. Also some tools if you want to teach him to maintain things.

Mikie, uzziboy, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yeah let us know... What your needs are...

Mikie, uzziboy, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  11. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Ok. First thank you all soooo much for replying and offers!!!!!
    I will try to contact each and every one of you.

Second, he is 12 so a smaller frame. I have an old frame but it’s too big. So sm/md is a good place to start

Thanks again
    Aaron

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll throw in a set of Specialized race grips if it helps... Still in the package.

Oaken, uzziboy, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  13. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Just had a poke round in the garage and here is what I can offer up.
    • Marzocchi M2 Race Bomber fork, 26er does rim or disc brake, 7" steerer (1 1/8 straight) has a remote lockout on top, 100mm travel
    • Pair XT v-brakes and levers
    • Avid BB7 caliper and rotor, need to dbl check size, think its a 180mm
    • 26" SRAM 9.0 rear hub with shimano freehub (takes a disc) Pretty sure its a mavic rim
    • Frt and rr STX hubs on Mavic 26" rims (rim brake wheels)
    • XT 9 speed rear mech
    • Deore shifters, frt and rr, 3x9 setup
    • Various front derailleurs
    • Various seat posts
    If any of that lot helps you then just let me know. Once you source a frame give us the spec, for example depending on frame I have a square taper bottom bracket thats never been used I can throw in.

Oaken, Mikie, uzziboy and 4 others like this.
  14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have a almost new pair of Truvstiv Descendant Dub cranks, but you will probably need a bottom bracket, since mine were pressfit. I might have other parts also, just need to check. I know I have some Box carbon bars.

uzziboy, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yup need to focus on the frame... Unfortunately I paid forward my wife's small hardtail to a similar young man earlier this year.

16. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Keep me in the loop on what you need. No frame to contribute unfortunately.

uzziboy, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  17. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    He’s fairly short for his age. So small 26 or 27.5 ( prefer 27.5 ) Possibly a med if we get no bites. Wheels will be the next big item but i might have a set of 27, but I’ll see what pops up.
    Thanks again guys

18. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:

That would be awesome. Just have to see what kind of frame possibly comes my way

19. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    So I’m going to raise the ante. I’m going to offer a trade to someone with a frame that can accommodate my friends son. I do want a full suspension for him.

i have a 2012 Large intense aluminum 27.5 ( black chrome). I will tell you it’s been through a lot. It’s in fair condition and the rear triangle is tweaked a bit but fully functional and rideable. I have a CCDB air shock on it that was purchased in 2014. I have always babied my bikes so my frame is still in better shape than others fair condition frames. Ask any questions you like I’ll be 100% honest with my answer

Faust29, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  20. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Bump. Still looking for a frame. Again you guys are amazing for stepping up and offering parts. I’m in the middle of a 12 day in a row stint at work and won’t be off until next Saturday. So i will try to contact each of you if i see a part i could possibly use.

But this all contingent on finding a frame he can use. I’ll keep updating

Thanks
    Aaron

21. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    I'm not sure if these will help, but I'd be happy to donate these:

1) Tired old Fox knee pads. They're good, but the elastic is mostly shot.
    2) Old, but serviceable Fox elbow pads.
    3) Newer IXS elbow pads.
    4) Bars - 2 alloy, 1 carbon with stem. All approx. 780 mm +/-.
    5) OOOOLLLDD Elixer brakes. No idea how well they work, but they're complete.

IMG_3934.jpg IMG_3935.jpg IMG_3936.jpg IMG_3937.jpg IMG_3938.jpg

22. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    So I’m probably going to have to go through a different avenue to get a frame. Sooooo i will be off work this coming week after thanksgiving so I’ll have 3 days to come a get some of those parts. I will contact you guys during the week to set something up.
    And again thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Soooooooooooo.......

It’s been awhile. Let first say THANK YOU to all the ppl who offered to donate items for my little endeavor.

to update all of you. I have ended up just selling my entire bike to my friend for her son. It’s a bit large for him but I’m hoping he’ll grow into it. He’s now been riding as much as he can with his friends. So that’s awesome.

anyways again I’m so impressed with the outpouring of offers to help out someone who is not able to afford something nice for their children. With that being said if we ever ride together i will buy each and every one of you a beer after the ride. Mike maybe you could set something up? Lately I’ve been riding solo and would love to ride with a few people.

See you soon hopefully

aaron

9BE9E5A3-58AC-4CFB-B08A-0BFF3B310C19.jpeg

Oaken, redwoods, Lost Kiwi and 14 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?