Black Star - Motorway Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Runs with Scissors, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    @Faust29 threw out the route, and I bit. Met up with him and @mtnbikej at the tree farm at 6:30 this am. Temp was 67 degrees according to my car. We geared up and took off down Black Star road.

Even that early there were a few groups of hikers out. We had a decent social pace going up Black Star, and as usual my social pace is a bit slower than their social pace. :whistling: But again as always, they didn't just run off. I appreciate them waiting on my slow hiney. :):thumbsup: We got to the golf ball in a decent time (1:25 for me); no PRs were endangered on this ride. Top half of B* and all of MD were in full sun, but the marine layer below made for a cool shot.
    20170701_123458.jpg

Going across Main Divide was a bit toasty. According to my Garmin it was in the 90s from Pleasant's Peak to the bottom of Motorway. MD was MD...still a good ride. Except...I slashed a sidewall on my non-EXO Ikon (Yes, J & Steve, I'll pick up an EXO tire tomorrow :bang:), which also killed the tube. My spare tube seemed to be repugnant to interior air. Thankfully there was another spare tube provided, and we continued on. Until @Faust29 managed to break his chain. Today was jinxed, I think.o_O
    20170701_100317.jpg

Good views out there as always. Looking back at Hagador & Sierra peaks from Pleasant's.
    20170701_091823.jpg

Motorway is overgrown, but is still a lot of fun to ride. As always, good company on a good ride and a great time.

*EDIT* I forgot stats...

28 miles
    4,619 feet of gain
    4:00:15 moving time
    One dead tire
    One dead chain
    Loads of smiles and laughs

Cyclotourist, -ROCKY-, Grego and 10 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Was a little different starting AFTER the sun was already up. We rolled on time. Looked up to see the low clouds and fog. Temps were nice and chilled. However, this wouldn't last all day.

Didn't feel all that great at the start. Glad we were out for a social ride. Shortly past Hidden Ranch we cleared the fog and were in the sunshine. We weren't fast....we weren't slow....just consistent. Made Beeks with little trouble.

We were above the soup......
    IMG_2844.JPG

Up to the Doplar Ball...was still taking it easy. Legs were not warmed up yet. Quick break up there. Along with some pics and playing around.

Above the clouds everywhere you could see.....
    IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG

We continued on past the Doplar Ball. This time the climb was starting to feel better. We reached the base of the climb up to Hagador. The road is in pretty good shape. I figured I'd make it to the turn and give in.....nah, made the turn and just kept pedaling. Cleaned it....but it was work. We rolled up Main Divide before making the turn to go up and bag Hagador Peak. We rolled around up there, but still haven't found the Elevation Marker. On the way back down, Mark got a puncture. Heard it hissing as we waited for Steve. No problem, we'll put a a tube in it. Pull the tire, then the tube that was in it.....no rim tape. Threw me for a loop. Quickly found a cut in the sidewall(friends don't let friends run non EXO Maxxis tires :thumbsdown:). First tube was bad, so Steve threw his out there. Got it mounted up with a makeshift tire boot, and headed off. The bugs were.....buggy up on Main Divide today.

The plan for the day was to pick up some extra credits along the way. On this route, Pleasant's Peak is an extra credit. Quick spin up to the top, and a loop around the landing pad. On the way up I was looking at the singletrack that dropped back down to the gate. Looked in good shape, looked rideable, looked like today was a good day to give'r a go. Steve says "looks like the loose baby heads end right here". So Mark went back the way we came up. Steve and I dropped in. Well the loose baby heads didn't end right here. The trail was also steeper than it looked. The trail was about 12" wide, brakes really didn't do any good....you were pretty much just on for the ride. Made it to the bottom....it was a blast.

Onward and upward on Main Divide. More climbs, more descents....typical Main Divide. It was getting warm by this time. Not horrible, but not cozy. The breeze would blow from time to time and it was nice. Just before we got to Eagle Rd. we took the extra credit up to the catch basin. This is where we would have another mechanical. A SS'er....not me.....broke his chain on the way up. No problem again, it's a quick fix and we weren't down very long.

The last two climbs up to Motorway are getting pretty loose. It was hot...it was dry....it was loose, but we made it to Motorway. :thumbsup: We have been doing Motorway at night alot lately, so it was a little different doing it in the daylight. Much safer in the sunshine....less likely to fall in the hidden ruts. We had the trail to ourselves. Not a fast pace down, but we pretty much just kept moving. It's always a fun ride down.

At the bottom, there was initial discussion of heading up Maple Springs....but the only guy with a tube left was heading down. :whistling: Had a small head wind going down Silverado Canyon, but it helped keep the temps down.

Fun ride today. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, -ROCKY-, Grego and 9 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Yep... I hadn't done the longer route to Motorway in some time, so I wanted to check it off the list again. Two takers for the route! We were pretty mellow going up Black Star, and quickly rose above the marine layer and into the sun. The climb to the golf ball was as fun as ever... Someone had fun playing at the top.

The temp stayed comfortable, though, and we made the climb to the Skinsuit trailhead without too much trouble. For those who have climbed Black Star, but not ventured farther, the real climbing begins after Beek's Place. The climb to Hagador was as fun as ever... :sick::sick: I thought I had a shot at clearing it for the first time, but a couple rear tire slips made the heart rate shoot up past the recommended limit for the gaskets. Jason motored by. He also cleaned the loose little climb up to the main part of the peak. :cautious:

Coming down from the peak we had our first mechanical of the day. Someone brought a tube to a tubeless ride and a non-EXO tire! Glad it wasn't me for once... :p

IMG_0459.jpg

The extra credit out to Pleasants Peak is a pretty mellow ride in comparison to Hagador, but it adds 1.5 miles and 400 feet or so. It also has three single racks coming off of it. Smashface that drops all the way back to Silverado, and then two which drop from the peak back to Main Divide. One of them looked pretty inviting today, but steep as heck from the bottom. At the top, we had a better view and could see the entire drop back to Main Divide. "Hmmmmm... It only looks really loose at the top, and then it looks like it mellows out." Wrong... It was probably 300 yards long, and loose scree in a narrow trench all the way to the bottom. I don't think my rear tire made two complete revolutions the entire way. It was a slide... Strava says that it's been ridden 8 times total. Woo-Hoo... I'm tied for 6th! all time. :D

Main Divide was Main Divide the rest of the way. Jason and I explored the beginning of one of the single tracks at the oak tree climb, and might give it a try the next time. Not sure where it comes out, but it looks rideable. :thumbsup: We were cruising along until I tried to climb the extra credit just before Eagle. Snap. Another Quick Link bites the dust... I did learn a better way to get the new link to snap into place, though. I consider that a win. :thumbsup:

He looks friendly...
    IMG_0469.jpg

Motorway was the same as the last 28 times... With a little more overgrowth than some of the runs. Mark took it pretty easy with a tubed rear tire, but we made it down without any more mechanicals... All in all, it was a good day on the mountain. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, -ROCKY-, Grego and 10 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Doppler...

(I've been holding that in for years. I feel so much better now!)

Nice ride reports boys! Great photos and three different perspectives. That's how it's done. :thumbsup: None of those useless, puny little no-picture reports you get in that "other" thread! :mad:

-ROCKY-, Faust29, bvader and 3 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Picture Slot Machine... @Runs with Scissors. @mtnbikej had a lot of mechanicals to fix that day! :whistling:

I notice we didn't take any pictures on the Motorway... That's why @Mikie thinks it's a fire road. :D

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    That was a great day. Need to do it again soon, but without the mechanicals. :thumbsup:

Faust29 likes this.