Bikepack Catalina!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by BonsaiNut, Jan 11, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Cyclotourist
    beyondthelens
    danmtchl
    riiz
    CarlS
    ridinrox
    =====================
    Daddy Dirtbag

I'd like to know more about the route so I can (if I make the 'cut') choose the best weapon for the job.

Would we have to carry all the water we need from Avalon, or are there any places to get potable water along the way?

What sort of bike would be most appropriate? Would a gravel/hybrid type rig with 700 x 40c tires be OK on the terrain or is this a true MTB ride?

VERY IMPORTANT: We are talking spring time, so what is the bug situation? Will a tarp shelter be OK or will mosquitoes carry me away and and feast on my tender carcass as I sleep?

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I've been a little lazy getting a short list of dates together, etc, so I'll start cracking on it this week.

As far as water goes, we will be hitting water stops on the rides during the day, and when we set up the camping sites, we pay a small fee for them to drop firewood and water at our campsite.

I have never biked there, but my understanding is that it is 100% fire road. Nothing technical, but lots of hills, particularly when you are climbing out of Avalon and Two Harbors. Maybe Mike will add his experience?

I can't really speak to the bugs, because I have never been there in the spring; I have always been there in the late summer or fall. When I have been there, there didn't seem to be many bugs at all inland, but there were mosquitoes at night down by the water. We aren't talking Midwest mosquitoes (where you lose a pint of blood an hour) but more like two or three pesky mosquitoes that fly around your head at night and keep you up. I slept several nights in an open shelter and lived to talk about it, but if you have a tent I would highly recommend bringing it. I'd hate for us to have a really wet spring, and suddenly find ourselves swarmed at night.

Cyclotourist and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Glad to see this ride building momentum!

We took a tarp, no tent, in March/April and had no bugs at all. I think we set up the tarp one night out of three, otherwise, glorious open bivies. Potential wind at Parson's FWIW.

Bike-wise, no need for anything trail oriented. I rode a steel full rigid with 2.2 tires and didn't wish for a thing. (Besides a cold beer at Parson's.) BN nailed it...steep climbs are the only difficulty – besides keeping your eyes away from the views.

Stay psyched!!!!

4. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Somehow I missed this thread. Unless things have changed you WILL need the bike pass. Two years ago, I was stopped at least three times by Rangers and had my bike pass checked.

I can confirm the climbing is for real, but if I can make it all of you surely can. I was at Black Jack last summer - lots of good water. Bummer was the buffalo wanted to graze thru the camp all night. A little uncomfortable, but no issues. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the dew factor. 90% of the time that I have camped there, we woke up to soaking wet tents (plus anything left outside the tent was soaked too). Even at Black Jack the dew was thick. We usually pack thick, black trash bags to store things outside the tents.

My month is already slammed - enjoy the adventure.

Daddy Dirtbag, kioti and mike like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    For those interested, you should have received an email from me yesterday with revised details. Let me know if you did not get anything!

- Greg

Mikie, mike and ridinrox like this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Bikepack Catalina 2.0 - the new improved version! Now with extra-whitening!

Opening this back up to check for interest from other bikers. Almost everyone has dropped out so we could use another two or three :) Here's the revised itinerary:

Updated travel info:

Still on the list:
    BonsaiNut
    Cyclotourist (maybe)
    ridinrox
    riiz (tbd - waiting to hear from him)

Spoke with the Conservancy today, and got the final on costs...

Everyone will have to buy a Conservancy Membership (which you can do online) for $35. Once you get the pass, it pays for itself, because you will get 50% off camping fees and 50% off the cost of Catalina Flyer tickets. HOWEVER that will mean that we will need to take the Catalina Flyer out of Newport Beach, which leaves at 9:00 AM on Friday (instead of taking the Catalina Express out of Dana Point at 12 PM). If this is ok, here is a revised schedule:

Friday:
    Leave Newport Beach at 9 AM
    Arrive Avalon 10:15 AM
    Check in Hotel Atwater, have lunch in Avalon
    Head out on trail 12 PM
    Bike 21 miles / 3300 feet to get to Little Harbor campground
    1st night - water and firewood at site, but need to pack in food

Saturday:
    Snack in camp
    Bike 5 miles / 1400 feet elevation to get to Two Harbors.
    Eat breakfast
    Bike 11 miles / 2200 feet elevation to get to Parson's landing.
    Jump in water / relax / take pictures. Eat lunch here or bike back to Two Harbors for lunch.
    Bike 16 miles / 3600 feet elevation to get back to Little Harbor.
    2nd night - water and firewood at site, need to pack in food

Sunday:
    Breakfast in camp.
    Bike 21 miles / 3300 feet back to Avalon.
    Eat late lunch in Avalon.
    Leave Avalon at 4:30 PM
    Arrive Newport Beach 5:45 PM

Working budget:
    Conservancy Membership: $35
    Parking: up to $18 per day at Newport Beach ($54)(depending where you park)
    Boat Ticket: $35 round trip Newport Beach to Avalon* (50% off the normal $70)
    Camping: $11 per night ($22 total) plus $10/bundle of firewood per night divided by everyone going (assume $40 total so approx $8 per person)
    Food and gear - on your own

So somewhere around $152 plus food per person... Less if you can get dropped off at Newport Beach and don't have to park.

Anyone interested? Final date still to be decided based on interest...

mike, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You guys have fun out there! I'll be there on the 30th, but it won't be anywhere near as relaxing as your itinerary... More pain involved with mine. :gag:

8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    What's happening on the 30th? If there is a large bike event planned, we might want to avoid that weekend...

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It's the Gran Fondo...

10. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I'm leaning more towards that Mid-May date, and with the Gran Fondo on the 30th, it might be tough getting a spot on the boat as well.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    OK! Because of the Gran Fondo date, it makes sense to schedule this for May 13-15.

Who's in?

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good call on that! I'm less than 50% in at this point... just not thinking I'm up for any more than an hour or so riding at that time. What's your cut-off day for planning?

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    What is the actual dates of this adventure. I would like to get it on the Calendar.
    Thank you!
    Mikie

mike likes this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    May 13-15

However it might not BE an adventure. Right now it is just Rox and me, and as understanding as my wife is, she wouldn't want to unleash me on weekend camping trip alone with a female :)

So unless more people crawl out of the woodwork, I'm not sure that this trip is going to happen...

15. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Ran across this "moot post" @mike while searching Catalina threads. Heading there in two weeks to camp and ride for a few days. Thanks for your input on island riding. I'm looking forward to it very much. Fingers crossed for no more rain.

mike and Faust29 like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Awesome...

Search the forum for ride reports on the Gran Fondo. I did it a couple of times... The scenery is mind blowing. That would be my #1 "must do" ride if it were offered again.

Derek13 likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?