Bike Rack suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricekrispyota, Dec 15, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    Good evening,

I’m trying to figure out which bike rack is best for my needs and will fit on a Kia Optima without causing too much headache or snapping off.

Used to have a truck to put bikes in the bed, but no longer.

Usually, I ride by myself so only one bike. Sometimes (rarely) I take one buddy with me and on the VERY RARE occasion, I’ve had 5 bikes in the bed.

I’ve looked at the Kuat NV 2.0 (2 bikes) but for a few bucks more I can get the Northshore 4 bike rack. Just not sure I need that much rack room because my buddies won’t all fit in the Kia.

Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

2. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    One Up USA hitch rack.....simply awesome, light, quick loading/unloading, quick putting on and removing the rack too!!!

3. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I own the Thule T2 xtr, I bought it cause it came w/ built in locks. It's on the heavy side if you are gonna be taking it on and off. If I was in the market today I would go w scans choice, One Up USA compact and light weight and it looks nice! It would go great on your Optima.

4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yakima Dr. Tray is what I use, and have been happy with. Also quite light if that’s important. Like 32lbs if memory serves.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    +1 on the 1UpUSA!
    Tray rack in a receiver hitch is a great way to go.
    You can get a single rack and if down the road you want to add on, you can!

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have the Thule T2... It's heavy! But it really comes in handy when I need to haul 4 bikes. But it's heavy! :p Rule it out for your car and get the 1UP. They are (arguably) the best looking and they won't break your back.

I would rule out trying to haul 4 bikes on the back of the Kia... Mr. Google says the max tongue weight for the Optima is only 200 pounds. Bad things happen when you exceed (or come close to) the max tongue weight.

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, OTHRider and 10 others like this.
  7. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    I absolutely love my 1up rack but the guy who made it it about to sell what looks like a better one. Check it out https://www.quikrack.com

8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Hasn’t he had a bunch of back order issues and launch delays? Thought I read about that not too long ago where it was really making people question the new one.

9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I like the looks of them, my wife on the other hand said they look like those wheelchair/Rascal scooter carriers on cars.

When my T2 needs replacing I’ll most likely go 1UP. The T2 looks like new after 5 years though, several being at the beach.

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yeah, Quikrack cant be doing well if the bike in their rack on the banner pic on their website is a walmart special...
    Im still using a nine year old Thule t2 hitch rack i bought used from a friend. hitch rack is the way to go for sure.

11. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Had a Thule T2 for years and loved it. No complaints. Moved to a One Up because I wanted to run a single bike rack as 99% of the time I’m solo. Single meant I can also close my rear hatch without having to angle the bike rack down. Easy in and out (know what I’m sayin). It’s a super nice rack. Looks top notch, works well and it’s made in the USA. All features I appreciate.

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    IMO, for cars, like your Optima, there is only one rack style choice, a ROOF RACK. This is assuming that there will not be clearance issues going in and out of a garage or an underground facility.

Voodoo Tom, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I run a Thule T2 on my Tahoe. IF I was buying new....http://recon-racks.com/
    Probably not a good idea to put on a Kia though.

They are big, bulky, and heavy. But, they have great features and are made in the states by a small co.

14. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I have a 1up rack and it's definitely my favorite out of the few different ones I've had or used. I also really like that it's easy to take off and store. It is also nice to be able to buy a single bike and add more later.

I personally dislike roof racks. They pretty much destroy gas mileage, which isn't a huge deal around town, but can really make a difference on trips. I'm also just not a huge fan of mechanics and lifting the bikes up and down like that.

I wouldn't overspend on a rack just for a super rare occasion other people go.

15. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    One up USA all the way. I've had mine for a few years. I have the single and two add-ons if I need to bring more bikes. The single stays on the 4Runner full time and it still looks and works as good as new.

16. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    +1 on the 1up usa rack. You can buy the single rack for now then buy add ons later. Let your friends haul their own bikes for a while :).

I usually have the 1up in single mode then add racks as needed. I have two extra trays for the wife and guests.

Dont be afraid to add a hitch to any car. If you’re just taking bikes you wont have a problem.

17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Not really....if you take the time to read the MTBR thread on this rack, you'll see what a shitshow he's running over there. I signed up for the fun of it when he announced this rack and I'd be in the first group to get racks IF they ever made it to market. It was supposed to be here last year, then Spring 2018, then December 2018, now May 2019. Play it safe and go with 1UP. They aren't cheap but they are pretty much bullet-proof and by far the simplest rack to use when carrying multiple bikes.

18. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    +1 on adding a hitch. It's super easy usually and not very expensive. Most cars now have a way to just bolt a hitch on. I do also like that the 1up comes with an adapter.

As far as 1up goes, I have a really old one. The original style lock bars were getting chewed up. I contacted them and they sold me all the upgraded pieces for like $40, so it's essentially the newer rack. Great customer service. I've had it for probably 12 years now...

Voodoo Tom, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  19. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    There's a sordid history between 1up and quikrack. As much as I'd like to support innovators and small(er?) businesses, ultimately it's about the product and service. Even if quikrack was shipping, I would be leery on its existence 5 years from now, and the availability of replacement parts or add-ons. Having had both the original and current 1up racks, the current racks look more polished with the rounded edges, but seems to wobble a tinge more than the older version. I suspect the plastic/delrin washers are thicker causing the wobble, or it's my new 27.5+ tires :).

That said, the Kuat and 1up were on my short list. The main selling point of the 1up is the expanding ball that secures the rack to the hitch. It is super easy to put on and off, and you can precisely control how much you insert the rack (i.e. - not locked to the pin). For some, this is a detraction since they like the security of a pin, but for me I like that I can move the hitch precisely where my trunk doesn't hit the handlebars with my bike loaded. Seems like a minor thing, but accessing the trunk with the bike on and not having to tilt the rack on swing it out is worth it to me.

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My buddy has this on his truck... great rack option!

21. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Roof rack - only if you don’t park in your garage or parking structure. Posting for a friend that forgot:(

22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I added a hitch to my Ford Fiesta, put a rack on the receiver.

23. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I got one of those "Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-Bike Hitch Rack".
    I found it in my brother garage...... he used it once (before realizing he hates riding)

Way too expensive IMO, but it is nice.

24. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I like everything about the 1up rack except the receiver interface. Because they don't use a pin to fix the rack in place within the receiver it can move on rough roads. I've seen this happen a few times now on my friend's 1up. On one occasion the rack had backed itself almost halfway out of the receiver. So I'm not a fan of the expanding wedge system that 1-up uses. Something to consider if you drive on forest roads a lot. I've had no complaints with my Thule T2 and don't have any concerns about it moving. I'd consider 1up when its time to replace my T2 if they changed to a pin to hold it in place. The racks are nice otherwise. But if they don't I'll gladly get another T2.

25. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I had the T2 before my current 1UP. I'm not *totally* sold on the expanding wedge system either and mine even loosened up a bit on the drive to Sedona on nothing but paved roads the first time I used it. It comes with a safety strap and I used a cable lock as well when I first bought it. It hasn't loosened up since on any type of road service and I've stopped using the cable lock altogether.

My T2 lasted me what seemed like forever for sure but it wasn't half the rack the 1UP is when it comes to stability and not even in the same stratosphere when it comes to ease of loading of different types, sizes, etc....there is NEVER an issue with 1UP.

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Long-time T2 user. About 8-10 years. Same rack. Stored outside. At the beach.

40+ lb DH bikes, beach cruisers. Kids bikes. Never a problem. Couldn't be any simpler to load. Tips out of the way to access hatch (but admittedly a bit of a chore). I put it on the car when transporting two or three bikes (one on roof) and take it off when done. I do not leave it on the car. Others above say it's heavy. I have no comparison. It's been super easy to use and own. Stable on all roads, even with 80 lbs + of bikes on it. Took it to Whistler and back (via Northstar).

My friend bought a 1 up. Seems like an equally nice piece of equipment, but looks like an erector set.

27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    1UpUSA is Supah Light though and it is affordable as a single bike rack. I bought the single and then bought an add on when I had saved more mullah up!
    p5pb14573116.jpg

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have the Thule T1 single bike rack. It’s pretty light for a single bike rack. Extremely simple to use. They are around $300.00 new. E0EAE85E-F646-4577-B22F-EDB150A63D43.jpeg

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

The big issue I have with the Kuat racks is the inability to space out the trays. My T2 I can stagger the trays left and right so bars and seats don’t make contact.

I also feel like the plastic tire hook on the front is kinda cheap.

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You mean when you mortgaged the Ranch and sold a kidney and lung.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?