Bike Part Availability & Prices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Nov 24, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    In my paranoia about having spares I realized I have a 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, and KMC SL (gold) chain. I have new chain rings coming too. I will swap out the chainrings and cassette and rotate all the chains. I'll be able to make an interesting comparison.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  2. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I chatted with an online bike shop asking about availability for the Evil Offering... the agent said sometime in 2022 is when they expect frames :coffee:o_O

mike, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Anyone got hints or tips for tracking down a new Kona Honzo ST frame in large? I've reached out to a few dealers and don't even get a response. Kona website says they are prioritizing getting stock back out to their dealers but no-one seems to have anything available except for old model years they can't move.
    take my money.png

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Another Shimano plant closed down due to a covid breakout. Just ordered some more SRAM chains and TruckerCo brake pads. Prices are already going up.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yikes

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Ordered three Shimano 12 speed chains for the XC bike. Brake pads might be an issue, but hopefully I won't need any for a while. Guess I'll keep my eye out for some.

Mikie, Danmtchl, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    My buddy in OC claims he's looked far & wide and couldn't find an XTR chain or Shimano pads for the newest XTR 4 piston brakes.

I buy stuff all the time and sometimes don't realize what I had. A local shop out here just got in (5) XX1 chains in black. First ones they've had in 3-4 months they said. I bought one, got home and realized I had (2) others in my parts box already. When aforementioned buddy said he couldn't find 4 piston pads, I looked in my box for him and I had 4 sets and a couple sets for 2 piston brakes. I also have 8-10 new tires bought off German sites.

Faust29, ~JB~, Stkx66 and 6 others like this.
  8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I couldn't find XTR chains either, but 8000's were in stock and I can handle a few grams, especially this year. I still have the XTR chain that came on the bike which is cut for a larger chainring, so I can put those back on next season if I am fit enough.

Jenson had M9000 pads, so I bought a couple pair. I've never been in the financial position in the past to have spare parts, so I'm still trying to adjust to the idea of having spare parts available.

Faust29, Obsidian, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  9. J Mart

J Mart Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Jason
    Current Bike:
    Canyon Spectral CF7
    Opinions wanted:
    Looking to either replace or upgrade my cassette:
    Currently running complete GX drivetrain (chain is XX1). Is the 80 ish gram savings and potential longevity worth the extra $150 for the X01? I am by no means a weight weenie.
    Fire away

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    If you don't swap the chain out soon enough, you'll burn through an X01 cassette just as fast as a GX cassette.....I've seen it come through the garage.

I'm all for spending the money where it matters when it comes to performance.....I just can't stomach $375 for a consumable item.

I say get another GX.

11. J Mart

J Mart Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Jason
    Current Bike:
    Canyon Spectral CF7
    According to strava, I am about 500 mi into my XX1 chain. I actually checked it today and the park tool still doesn't even drop in the linkage. Evidentially you are supposed to be able to get a ton of mileage out of these chains. I check periodically to prevent this kind of thing of happening. Turns out my "favorite" cogs are just getting worn.

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Another option. Best shifting I have ever experienced. Shifts up and down under power…
    AB7F4DDB-F6CF-47EB-8A96-6C3762E787AB.png

13. J Mart

J Mart Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Jason
    Current Bike:
    Canyon Spectral CF7
    Thanks but I don't think they are compatible with an XD driver :cry:

14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    D1DE3CB5-40E7-4FE7-A2D6-A018E3C0947C.jpeg 98938347-3BDC-4917-8B4D-1ED4EF8A4C2A.jpeg
    We have 4 piston XTR Pads (NO4C) and someone mentioned about not having 12 speed chains we have those also.

Obsidian, RIGID, ~JB~ and 14 others like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awesome! Thanks Dan!

mike, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    PM your shop info and I’ll pass the info along. Thanks.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Agent Orange, RIGID, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I would dump my Shimano stuff in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive to do so. But since I need new wheels/hubs just to swap to the Sram cassette, it's just an expensive proposition.

I had bad luck the one time I used an XX1 chain. I broke it about 5 times in a few months before I gave up and threw it away.

I would have to look at the numbers again, but I am getting substantially longer life out if the X01 cassette vs the GX. I was breaking teeth off the GX long before it was worn out, but the X01 looks pretty good with a few thousand miles.

19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The Shimano's RD clutch system sucks. Sram's design is far superior. That's the main reason I stick with Sram.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The weight savings of the X01 is insignificant. The alloy low gear rings will only wear faster than the steel cogs of the GX. I see your chain has 500 miles on it. I'd change it now. At 700 miles, IME with Sram Eagle, it's too late.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The Shimano RD Clutch system is not only serviceable… it’s replaceable. I found the SRAM clutch to be inferior. Interesting viewpoints from just two fellers.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It’s a shame you experienced it that way. I have experienced the opposite. I fully changed out my Hightower to fully Shimano XT grade parts and never been happier. Their 2020 stuff is amazing. I think far better priced as well.

Faust29, mike, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ha! I was thinking of your experience when he mentioned the clutch. So easy to service when needed.

I do like the SRAM feature that holds the derailleur cage out of the way when taking the wheel of though.

Faust29, ~JB~, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Agreed! This is totally a solid bonus feature.

Faust29, ~JB~, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Just gonna say it now, the derailleur on my SS never goes out it needs servicing. :whistling:

Faust29, Sidewalk, Rumpled and 5 others like this.
  26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    You have 3 speeds, I have 12! :Roflmao

Faust29, mtnbikej, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    15. You also have Sit, Stand and Walk.

Faust29, Sidewalk, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Not that it is bad, I just find it WAY over hyped. I don't find the downshifting to be any better, just a slight improvement. But the upshifts are really vague. When I am sprinting it feels like the cassette is going to explode out from under me when I shift while pedaling hard, which is something I find myself doing often. The double upshift is a gimmick. It can be handy, but the button on the Sram is so much lower effort that I just tap it with the edge of my thumb and it snaps into gear. And I am left wondering how long this cassette is going to last when four of the cogs are aluminum vs the one on the Sram. Pricing difference on XTR vs XX1/X01 is negligible:

Shimano/Sram
    Derailleur: 273/300
    Cassette: 410/385
    Shifter: 130/150 (bonus with a gripshift option)

The cassette being the only wear item, my current X01 has nearly 4000 miles on it and still looks ok. I just ordered a new one to put on the new wheelset I am build as I am going with a new chainring and set of chains, but I am keeping it on my backup wheel. For years you would hear people say "Shimano is slower to respond, but at least it is better quality" except now everyone is complaining about wondering bite point (which hasn't affected me) and failing XTR shifters.

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I know... right. I became an expert on cleaning and replacing it! Usually after it failed completely on a ride. :Roflmao

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It's very possible you are harder on your equipment than I am. But I have been pretty rough and demanding on my stuff. None of the stuff you shared I have experienced.
    I do know that when I purchased a SRAM RD Pulley, one cost me over $60 bucks (now it appears you can get both for $60 bucks on Jenson). So after that I just went and bought a whole XT Derailleur for $10 bucks more. Been on there for well over a year defect free!

Certainly this is not a my stuff is better than your stuff conversation. I firmly believe that we both just want good equipment and are relatively willing to pay the price and cry once. I always find it amazing how different the performance vs. cost perspective varies. :thumbsup: I was all Eagle on my Hightower Drive Train when I got it. Now it is all Shimano XT and I could not be happier. ;)

Sidewalk, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?