Bike Part Availability & Prices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Nov 24, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Shss.. 5 years for a helmet.. is that considered old? if so I need some new ones..
    if uncrashed still good .. they do stink though...

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Replace after 5 years regardless of use.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Science or marketing?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just got the shoes from Jenson my wife ordered back in November. I actually found them at REI a couple of weeks ago and ordered them but right after I did Jenson emailed my wife and said they would be in soon. Since they were $50 off at Jenson I am returning the ones I bought from REI (unused).

74358449-2788-4BFD-85C6-7BE3D12852D8.jpeg

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    It’s science, the reason is that the foam degrades due to sun, heat, salty sweat and other environmental factors, added to the usual knocks of regular cycling activity. I actually do mine every two years regardless of use.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What if it's in a controlled environment most of the time and not used often? No exposure to elements. Just sitting comfortably in a closet.

Mikie, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    It still degrades, even in the dark, dry, balmy, calm closet. Even in a warehouse prior to being sold, the shelf life is part of the use life in my opinion, granted I assume it degrades at a slower rate. Like play dough that is rarely pulled out of its jar. If I bought one on sale and saw that it was manufactured 2 years prior to purchase, I’d use it for 4 years and then discard. It’s calibrated DDD science to account for variables in a dynamic environment.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I figured if it's not falling apart and hasn't been exposed to sun, it's probably GTG. I have two full face helmets I am concerned about. I haven't used them in two years or so.

I find it fascinating that things need to be used or they decay. Tires, zippers, straps, wetsuits...even ski clothes. If they sit, they rot. Even in a climate-controlled indoor storage unit. Someone should make up a law of physics that explains that.

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    So if you sit and don't move for 2 years, do you degrade or stay fit and move easily? Pretty much the same thing for many items that have a dynamic use. Use it or lose it.

Iron will rust, muscles will atrophy, food will rot. So, eat the food, move your body and who cares about Iron. give me Titanium and carbon. ( or gold coins, I like gold coins, they last, forever :) )

10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Riding along those chica the number of cargo ships not sure about half it was a bit ago so hopefully things start moving a little better

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I recently wanted to purchase a specific tire. So I did at my LBS. And I wanted to purchase a specific rim. So I did - one from Jenson and a second from DT Swiss.

Didn't have to hunt. Didn't have to wait. Didn't have to pay exorbitant prices. Lucky me I guess.

Mikie, Danmtchl, bvader and 4 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Those chicas from Bolsa Chica!

Mikie, Danmtchl, bvader and 2 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

This is poetic!!!o_O

Mikie, Danmtchl, bvader and 2 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Few seem to remember the original name of that stretch of sand: Tin Can Beach.

Mikie, Danmtchl, bvader and 1 other person like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Forget it. No more parts. No more bikes. No more teacher's .... no, different song.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

The Evergreen "Ever Given" has given us a headache of monumental proportions. No more Suez Canal for the near future. The smallest stupid errors make the biggest impact.

With Suez Canal Blocked, Shippers Begin End Run Around a Trade Artery
    The most common option for ships trying to avoid the logjam is to reroute themselves around Africa’s Cape of Good Hope.

"As the world absorbed the reality that the Suez Canal will almost certainly remain blocked for at least several more days, hundreds of ships stuck at both ends of the channel on Friday began contemplating a far more expensive alternative: forsaking the channel and heading the long way around Africa.

A journey from the Suez Canal in Egypt to Rotterdam, in the Netherlands — Europe’s largest port — typically takes about 11 days. Venturing south around Africa’s Cape of Good Hope adds at least 26 more days, according to Refinitiv, the financial data company.

The additional fuel charges for the journey generally run more than $30,000 per day, depending on the vessel, or more than $800,000 total for the longer trip. But the other option is sitting at the entrance of the canal and waiting for the mother of all floating traffic jams to dissipate, while incurring so-called demurrage charges — late fees for cargo — that range from $15,000 to $30,000 per day.

“You are either stuck with the commodity and waiting for things to evolve, or you take the cost and you move your commodity, and you free up your ship,” said Amrit Singh, lead shipping analyst at Refinitiv in London. “People have started making decisions.”

Since Tuesday, the Ever Given, one of the world’s largest container ships, has been stuck in the Suez Canal horizontally, run aground by powerful winds.

The disruption now roiling the global shipping industry provides a reminder of why the Suez Canal was constructed in the first place. Only the Panama Canal looms as large in the transport of goods around the planet.

Already, industries that rely on shipping to deliver parts and finished products are bracing for trouble. The auto industry is especially vulnerable, given its reliance on so-called just-in-time manufacturing. Retailers of clothing and exercise equipment were already contending with delays, given a surge of orders spurred by the pandemic.

A world whose initial experience with the coronavirus featured the hoarding of toilet paper now braces for fresh shortages of that vital commodity. Like many consumer goods, paper products are transported through the Suez Canal in giant shipping containers.

More than 200 ships are now stuck at either end of the Suez Canal, with no clarity on when they will be able to continue their journeys. Some 80 additional ships are scheduled to arrive over the next three days, Mr. Singh said.

For ships that had been on their way to Europe from Asia and are stuck at the southern end of the canal, the route around Africa involves crossing through an area off Somalia that is rife with piracy. Some ships are carrying security teams that enable them to pass through the piracy zone. Those that lack guards must detour around it, adding three more days to their journeys.

Crews may be unfamiliar with the waters around Africa’s southern tip, where the convergence of warm and cool currents produces turbulent and unpredictable conditions. Early Portuguese navigators called this region “the cape of storms.”

These are the sorts of factors that shipping companies are now considering.

“It is like choosing the queue at the post office,” said Alex Booth, head of research at Kpler. “It is never the right decision.”

Already, seven giant carriers of liquefied natural gas appear to have decided to change course away from the canal, according to Kpler.

One of these ships, chartered by Royal Dutch Shell, had picked up a cargo of gas at Sabine Pass in Texas and was heading toward the canal when it made a sharp turn in the Atlantic Ocean toward Africa. Another, operated by Qatargas, a state energy company, and loaded at Ras Laffan, the Qatar energy hub, was headed for Suez but then veered away toward the Cape of Good Hope before reaching the Red Sea.

Container ships are also changing their plans. HMM, a South Korean shipping company, ordered one of its vessels that was headed to Asia from Britain via the canal to go around Africa instead, according to NOH Ji-hwan, a spokesman for the company.

Mr. Booth said a ship that was already waiting at the canal would be unlikely to backtrack all the way around Africa. That would mean a nearly six-week journey to reach Amsterdam compared with just 13 days from the canal.

If the call is made in the early part of a journey, though, it may make sense. For instance, Kpler estimates that a trip around the cape from the Saudi oil terminal Ras Tanura would require 39 days, versus 24 days by way of Suez.

Ultimately, the decision hinges on an assessment of the time required for engineers to extract the Ever Given, allowing traffic to resume. The most optimistic outlook took a hit on Friday, with the failure of the latest effort to get the enormous ship floating.

“People are saying that something will be done by Sunday,” said Mr. Singh of Refinitiv. “But I have my little doubts. The tide and nautical conditions are more favorable toward the middle of next week.”"

Mikie, RIGID, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  16. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Interesting article on the stuck boat and the "bank effect" vs the new large container ships. https://www.ft.com/content/171c92ec-0a44-4dc5-acab-81ee2620d3c1 Might be paywalled, search google for "The bank effect and the big boat blocking the Suez" and you should be able to see it. TL:DR is the new massive cargo container boats can move unpredictably and uncontrollably in shallow water such as the Suez canal.

17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Let Liberia take care of it, they are all flying under that flag of convenience!

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've been around the Cape of Oh Sh!t (I mean, Good Hope)....no bueno, and not something you do unless you absolutely have to.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There's some rad surf down there, bru!

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But in this case it was a big-ass ship, a narrow canal, and a strong wind. Same thing is pushing the limits of the Panama Canal. Ship size is approaching the limits of the canal's ability to handle. In this case, ship too big. Canal too narrow. Wind too strong.

Might be time to trot out the dredge.

21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The boat's owner is blaming high winds and I'm sure that was a factor, but if you read the article it suggests the wind speeds recorded at the time are not unprecedented and the hydrodynamics and increasing ship size are likely more to blame - ie, this could just as easily happen without high winds.

22. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I saw one early report that Ever Given had lost generator and then steerage.
    All that would lead to big problems.
    And if poor maintenance, something a ship owner would not want to come out and just blame it on wind.
    And, has everyone seen the track of the ship before entering the canal?

23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  24. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah!
    Who is to say this is not a tactic to drive up prices?
    I was at ARCO AM PM Tuesday (where I "typically" find the best gas prices) and paid $4.09 per gallon for Diesel o_O. I spent $100 bucks of my hard earned cash to not even be able to fill my tank. It was just a very short time ago I was paying $2.65 per gallon.

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So the heads of the shipping companies decided to collude with the port authorities of the US and the 100s of international corporate CEOs and marketing execs whose products are on the ships to delay the offloading of the ships to drive up the prices? Those sneaky bastards! I would have LOVED to be on that Zoom call. Or was it done by secret code? :confused:

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

That's not too far off.
    Shippjng companies got us by the basket balls and have jacked prices up to about double.
    And interstate freight is also up about the same. Did their costs go up? Hardly. They are taking advantage of the situation to gouge the consumer. That along with a massive added tax ( read Tarrifs) on many imported goods and its no wonder prices have sky rocketed. The seller isn't making more, its the government and freight companies.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Individual corporations or even industries such as petroleum taking advantage of situations (i.e. Suez Canal blockage) to jack up prices is believable and customary. Collusion among multi-national corporations, governments, port authorities and teamsters/longshoremen is quite another. But Americans seems to be hell bent on believing conspiracy theories now - the wilder the better! I'm sure there is speculation that the canal blockage was intentional and linked to some other nefarious world-wide acts.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to get back to pedaling my singlespeed. Wait - are you already done with the route? Man that new Levo really is fast! Want to meet at Comet Pizza after I'm done with my ride? o_O

Danmtchl, Mikie, Derkderkall and 2 others like this.
  30. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    tires and rims i can find. I wanted a Chris king 110x15 front hub. Hunted around for a week calling probably like 10 shops. Finally found one. In England. Lol. Payed a bit more but I’m not waiting a month.

its funny had no problem finding the fox 38s i wanted or the rim. But damn does king only make products 1 time a year?

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?