Bike Part Availability & Prices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Nov 24, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

And somehow you manage to get a political statement in? :Roflmao

Danmtchl, Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Ok Doomsday hillbilly...when somehow you manage not to get a political statement in.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    As previously mentioned, I like to plan ahead and buy things even when I don't need them if I see a decent deal.

Backcountry appears to be blowing out their FIFTY tooth SRAM Eagle derailleurs. The GX are gone but I picked up an X01 for 20% off or $180. Since I ordered via Active Junky, I'll also get a 12% kickback so about $160 ( before tax of course).

5. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Possibly not a popular idea, but Bikes Direct has 1 X 12 SX Eagle & Shimano hydraulic disc hardtails for $899. Seems like there may be enough parts to make it worthwhile even though the frame and fork would need to be disposed on ebay.

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    It's time for a new helmet...was looking at photos the other day and realized my current lid is over 5 years old. :eek:

Tried on a couple at an Lbs and really liked the Giro Montero ( checked it out because of the reviews on it here). Fit good, had my size, check manufactured date.. Oct 2018???o_O Bummer.....I wanted to buy at an LBS.

So ended up ordering from Giro directly as it's a safe bet theirs are current production. Of course with supply issues they had only one color in my size. But that's OK, black is always in style. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Obsidian, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Interesting view:

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Man this sounds familiar. I’ve spent too much of my career sitting on suppliers’ shop floors. I’ve flown across the country and back in a day, for a half hour meeting, where the whole point was to beg them to not quit on a difficult development project.

It is very hard to keep parts on schedule right now. Without the ability to sit in the owner’s office, listen to their fishing stories, and chat up the shop, I’ve got zero insight into where my parts are, beyond their word. And it’s not bad faith or ill will, it’s just that there is always another reason for a schedule slip—the packaging shortage sounds familiar. The shipping delays. The raw materials. Unauthorized substitutions. If I’m not in the shop poking around and getting an earful from the folks actually doing the work, I end up getting blindsided when delivery dates get blown by.

I was trying to look at the Gantt charts on the back wall to see what their critical path looked like...

The part about people being sold bikes that they can’t legally ride was interesting. He didn’t really unpack that topic as well as I think he should have.

9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  10. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I heard Rekon's were getting scarce. LBS ordered me up a pair. Don't really need them now, but soon.

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Everything is scarce and it’s going to be that way for awhile.

Mikie, Faust29, Grego and 3 others like this.
  12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    We’ve created these sprawling supply chains and subdivided product categories that were efficient but brittle. The toilet paper/paper towel manufacturers have responded by drastically curtailing the number of SKUs they sell. I suspect most industries will have to follow suit.

translation: Shimano better not be wasting time running GRX down the line. Run Ultegra in Japan, SLX in Malaysia, and nothing else until we’re swimming in midrange groupsets. (Or 105 in Malaysia and XT in Japan. But you get my drift...)

Mikie, senderos_949, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Be prepared to wait, for example we cannot get an 11 speed rear derailleur from any of our distributors and timelines are weeks out. A Trek Fuel.... June or July and it seems to change all the time.

As for Shimano, it’s hit and miss on the parts. We just got a sh*t load if Di2 stuff but nothing else we could actually use. Hope Shimano and SRAM are thinking like you

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  14. ejhorn

ejhorn Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Evan
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c
    Got a pair of Shimano 4 piston XT brakes (M8120) in May and replacement pads are pretty hard to come by and $$$$$. Recently ordered pads from Galfer.com. I got a set of the pro and normal versions for $31 and $17 respectively. Yet to try them out but reviews online seem to be pretty good and supposedly they manufacture some of the OEM pads for other companies (Hope I think?). They also make rotors that seem to be well reviewed.

I know others have had luck with Truckerco, but just wanted to throw out another option. Customer service was pretty good, they called me up the day I ordered when they found out one of the pads wasn't in stock to let me know it would be a 2 day delay. Warehouse is in Oxnard so had the pads in less than a week from ordering.

Mikie, Oaken, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for that… I like options. :thumbsup:

Long time, no see… Catalina Gran Fondo 2015 or 2016? Time sure does fly by… :eek:

16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Just a heads up for those running 2 piston Shimano brakes. I was perusing Pinkbike classifieds and ran across (2) separate sellers with NEW brake pads for sale at great prices. One guy has one set for $20 and the other has 4 sets for $75. That’s Pre-Covid pricing!!

Mikie, herzalot, senderos_949 and 3 others like this.
  17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Found out on Thursday that The Shop @ Pedalers Fork in Calabasas has just become a Transition dealer, and is supposed to have a starter run of bikes in June. I just mention it as I know there were some folks looking for Spurs, so that might be the quickest way to get one. I'll be back by there midweek and am happy to inquire what they're getting if anyone is interested. PF is a real pleasure to deal with, FWIW.

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Checked availability of the brake pads I use almost daily for a couple months. Everywhere out of stock....kind of disappointing.. and then today Backcountry had them! In stock! Oh yeah! Felt almost like I won the lotto.

So I ordered 2 sets and they shipped within a couple hours. I'm good for a while now. :thumbsup:

Simple pleasures:)

Obsidian, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  19. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Looking for Shimano 3X8 shifters for my friend's daughter's bike hasn't been fruitful. Located a set of Microshift thumbies for $85, but I'll pass.

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Try finding some SRAM compatible Grip Shifters.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hmmm. I just may have....

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    So your looking for MRX 3x8? Let me see what we have.

23. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I looked and we don’t have any.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-MRX-Comp-Grip-Shifter

$12 for the rear, $10 for the front.

Mikie, senderos_949, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  25. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  26. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    i have 3x 9 xt laying around free to good home

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Looks like JRA has a good selection of tires right now.

FB_IMG_1615486308973.jpg

28. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Any white Porcupine Onzas? Gumwalls were so yesterday...

Danmtchl likes this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I hope you took your vernier calipers with you! Did you happen to look at the prices for the Kendas? Poor things...they're engulfed by Maxxis.

Danmtchl, Faust29, dssgaffler and 2 others like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm just sharing a pic from the shop. I have no interest in any of them. I run Goodyears. :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?