Bike for my lady

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buggravy, May 20, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So after yesterday's ride my wife can't stop talking about wanting to get out again. It really lit her up, so I'm very much obligated (and happy) to get her off on the right foot with a proper bike. I'm pretty aware of what's out there, and know enough to dig up good options, but what I'm mainly struggling with is whether to go 29 or 27.5 at her size. She's roughly 5'1" with short legs, and looking at numbers she's either an XS or S. More like XS, but it looks like an S will work in some frames. At her size there seems to be virtually no demos available locally for her to try. She liked the feel of the Switchblade she was on yesterday, but even in S it was too big (with seat post slammed I still had to depress the dropper to get a proper seat height). A secondhand placeholder type bike would probably be the best route if I can find something suitable. Another GREAT option for her, and the direction I'm sort of leaning, is to take one for the team and pick up a small Ripley frame, and then chop my DV9 for parts. It would be one hell of a starter bike, and all parts should migrate over pretty perfectly with an air shaft to bump the fork travel. Curious what y'all would do in my shoes.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR

Why anyone wants to wrestle the big wheels who is under 5'10" is a mystery to me. Can't put your butt behind your saddle without getting your ass-crack polished, and tough to manage all of that mass going up something at a slow rate of speed. I know it's the current trend, but watch videos of small women riding 29ers and tell me it doesn't look completely awkward. The good riders can make it work, but not as well as they could ride something that fits.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Just call me the mystery man

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nah, I'll just call you brainwashed by the industry. ;)

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Perhaps.

mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    She is a new rider....you get to mold her any way you wish.

which wheel size? She’ll adjust to either size....she doesn’t know any better.

5’1” w/short legs...yeah XS or S depending on the manufacturer. Fortunately those sizes are generally easy to find, and often on blowout.

may also need to look into a dropper like One Up that allows you to adjust the dropper height.

7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Hmmm, I didn't realize that an adjustable dropper existed. That helps. I'm also running a 125mm dropper on the DV9, so if I go the Ripley frame/part swap route I feel like she'd be fine.

She did handle the 27.5+ just fine, so I imagine the small jump to 29 wouldn't be an issue, but would it be ideal? And does ideal even matter/exist at this point?

8. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I'll be excoriated for this, but you might look around for a 26er; could locate a dynamite used bike; doubt she'll know the difference or care until she gets caught up in the hype.

9. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Ripley, now your talking...:thumbsup: It's light, rolls and pedals terrific and can handle anything the average person can ride. Not sure about the new v4's but all prior versions and all Ibis bikes for that matter seem to run a bit small on the sizing so she'd fit on a small. Are you thinking new or nice condition used? Honestly though I think she will be fine on either wheel size, have fun shopping...

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    she falls under “beginner/novice”. So she doesn’t know enough to know what is ideal. Like I said above, without a point of reference, she will adjust to whatever you put her on.

we know the differences, because we have the experience. I know women who are on the very short side that have no issues with 29ers. Suz is 5’3.5” on a good day...and rocks her 29er. She ran 27.5+ for a year....like nothing he downs, didn’t like it climbing. H2OChick is 5’1’ish with short legs and rides both. 29er for XC rides, 27.5 for more sketchy rides.

as she gains more experience, perhaps she’ll tell you what she prefers.

11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    If a complete bike I'd be trying to get a nice used or closeout bike. If I do a frame and move parts over I'd probably go new. There is a small used V4 Ripley frame on Pinkbike, but I don't know that the pics jive with the description of the condition, so I'm leery.

12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My wife is 5'2", rides an XS 29er no problem.

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    My wife is 5’11” and rides a large 29er no problem, so don’t get a large.

14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    My wife is 5'-7" and rides a 26" Schwinn Beach Crusier.

just tryin' to keep w/ the other posts:)

Danimal, bvader, buggravy and 8 others like this.
  15. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    He's skipping the arduous process of reaching and blowing past a bicycle's limits and getting right to the point!

I approve!

18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It's 140/150. The Switchblade she was on yesterday was 135/150, and she appreciated "the smoothness" as she put it. I'm not at all concerned that she'd be over biked with this one.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I have a beginner riding friend that bought this bike....the shop convinced her she needed it. It’s too much bike for her when t comes to climbing.

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I’ve seen that firsthand... :gag:

But I say get whatever bike gets her out there with you...

21. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I agree"

Get her a Hightower :whistling: lifetime warranty:thumbsup:

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sweet! New bike for the lass! Good hubby.

The 5-3 weez started on 26 and quickly went to 275 and then 29. She likes 29er best. But the bike size changed dramatically. I always make her ride my bikes with the seat down. That’s how she ended up with the Pistola. She liked my Smash even too large.

I guess I’m saying a mitigated investment in an early-career bike could be a good MO. As in, a cheaper small frame bike now and a longer term bike after you get your bearings. Sounds like you’re thinking that way anyway.

23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's the internet, and I have an opinion! I would recommend 27.5 over 29. A 29er could have the bars so high, it would be like riding a Dutch city bike. 27.5 should get them down. Also weird geometry starts cropping up in XS sizes along with toe overlap issues.
    My friend loves her 27.5 5010 FWIW. Maybe a bit overpriced, but here's the girlie version of the 5010: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2785450/

24. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I can hear J’s brain spinning...”get her a hard tail, SS, she’ll never know the difference”

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

:laugh: :unsure: :cautious: :facepalm:

Nah, SS's are not for beginners. I'm good with beginners riding short travel bikes

UPSed, Cyclotourist, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  26. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Like your wife, I was an avid trail runner when I started mtn biking. My first bike was a POS Gary Fisher hard trail, brand new it cost $300 and it was heavy as shite! But, I didn’t know the difference and rode the garbage out of it..and loved every minute! Next bike was a full suspension, alum, Specialized XC, it was divine in comparison. Next was a Specialized Safire, also FS, alum frame...I thought I was something else on that little bike :laugh::cool:haha, NOT!
    Anyways, all that to say...don’t overthink it IMO. If after riding for a while she decides MTN biking really is her thing, then by all means...pull out all the stops!

UPSed, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, everyone, for the input. Much wisdom, as I expected. As usual, the path lights itself, and right now that seems to be leading towards a Ripley, at least as a next step. Thanks to @UPSed I got a line on a demo in size S, where I was previously told there was not one. So being able to go out for another, slightly more challenging ride, on the would be bike is a no-brainer. If she likes it, then as previously mentioned I could buy the frame and raid my DV9 for parts, thus getting her into a killer bike without a huge (relatively speaking) cash outlay. A little short term sacrifice is probably a good exercise for me anyway. If the love for mtb fades after that then I repo the parts, the DV9 rides again, I sell the Ripley frame for 60-70% of what I paid for it, and I'm not stuck trying to unload a not-in-demand bike in an obscure size. If she loves the bike and the process then she's set for the foreseeable future, and I get to search for another hard tail after the coronadust settles. I do believe a GG Revved hard tail release is very imminent. The wheels are turning

28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So the Ripley was definitely a no-go. I have to admit I'm a bit relieved. I think @herzalot and @Cyclotourist hit the nail on the head with there being too many compromises with geometry for 29s in a size S, particularly for a short-legged rider. Even on a size S with a 125 mm dropper I only had about an inch of seat post showing, and the bars were a couple inches higher than her seat. Front wheel was wandering a ton climbing, presumably because she was too upright. She said she felt like the bike was very unmaneuverable as well. We came home and took actual measurements, and she's 5'2", but only has a 27" inseam, which really does put her in between a S and XS in most frames. We have pretty much exhausted what we can demo in her size, so we have ordered something I feel good about. 2020 Trek Fuel EX8 in XS/27.5. It seems like a very reasonable choice, with a solid drivetrain. I worry a bit about it being too small (I still could change it within the next 24 hours), but she has now been on 2 Small bikes that were too big. Fingers crossed this one does the trick

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thank you on behalf of your wife for a rational approach to wheel size. I know we can have testimonials from small good riders who love their 29ers, but have they ridden an equivalent 27.5? 29ers feel big to me. They are a circus bike to a 5'2" human.

Best wishes that the one you ordered fits right. I am sure she will love it.

30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good call! GX Eagle drivetrain, Rhythm fork... will go anywhere she wants to go!
    I REALLY like the way Trek specs 27.5 for the smaller sizes... they get it!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?