Bike for Bender- Hell Ride!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Faust29, Aug 26, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 10-28-17
  1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I did a quick Google search and yeah, I agree Mt. Constance looks a little sketchy. I could see how the penalty for going right would be a big one!

Or... do I have the wrong Mt. Constance?

mt-constance.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I agree with this, and would add that it's a different type of riding... On Trabuco, and even parts of San Juan, there are a lot more areas to just go fast in a straight line. On SART, it seems like you're changing direction every 1/2 second. Lots of twisting and turning, embedded rocks instead of loose scree, and more roots per mile than we have in the Santa Anas- which just means you have to be mindful of the penalty from start to finish.

Ride it @BonsaiNut ... You'll enjoy.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Are you talking about the same SART I rode with youse guys a few weeks ago???
    I saw some exposure, but it didn't really bother me except one or two short spots, so it can't be that bad. o_O

@BonsaiNut I agree with @Faust29. Go. Ride it. It's a hoot!:thumbsup::thumbsup::geek:

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You left before the good stuff! No bailouts allowed next time. :D

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    These segments weren't part of that ride. They are further to the west/down-valley.

6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Traditional sart not so bad..it gets sketchy downill from post office loop..

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, MattB and 4 others like this.
  7. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I'll be there finally. Wanted to do this ride for a while, but always seemed to get squashed with family or other obligations. Finally have it set on the calendar and should be there with some buddies.

8. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm confused...the only part I didn't do was from Glass Road to Seven Oaks. And from there it was just a turnaround from what all y'all were saying.

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yes, but that was 6 more miles up, and 6 more miles down....and some of the more fun/challenging parts of the trail are within that 6 miles.

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think that 6 miles coming back was the most fun of the whole day... Rocks, roots, exposure, and fast! That was a riot chasing the guys through there.

12. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    If you thinking to do this on the same day. It's time to pull the trigger on it. Count me in

Tom the Bomb and MTBHotRod like this.
  13. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Some of the exposure is only mildly alarming if you were going fast:

14719253_979138995530503_4356996725517320192_n.jpg

but...

14474369_1134281863316299_5560737004724944896_n.jpg

The picture doesn't even begin to do it justice.

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hey! That looks like the spot I went Superman last year and landed in a bush over the side. The exposure is there for sure, but the bushes can hold a lot of weight. :whistling:

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good stuff up there!!!

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH

Jumping Jim Pratt fell off a cliff on SART somewhere along the north face of Constance Peak. I was right behind him, and we made brief eye contact after his second tumble roll on the rocks on his way down. No words were spoken during his fall, and I could tell he was concentrating hard on spreading his limbs hoping to snag any vegetation or ledges within reach. He fell about 50 feet, but the slope was only 75-80 degrees, so it was more of a tumble slide than a free-fall. It was quite a scene after the ride at the in-n-out while he was eating his burger looking like he had just emerged from a car accident.

Tom the Bomb, Luis, MattB and 6 others like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Take the time to go up to the fire look out at Morton. It's typically manned by a volunteer and they are usually gracious about sharing their views with you!
    The singletrack past Morton to Greenspot/Redlands is pretty amazing. It's easier for me than the Mt. Constance sections, and some FANTASTIC views if you can take a second to stop and take them in.

Tom the Bomb, Luis, MattB and 4 others like this.
  18. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Interested!

Tom the Bomb, MTBHotRod and UPSed like this.
  19. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Another photo from last year:

upload_2017-9-15_13-35-24.png

Tom the Bomb, MattB, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  20. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Always good to see the posts here on IMTB.

Regarding the "Is it really that hard" question. The answer for most of us would be, "probably not." But since it's a shuttle with a lot of downhill, a lot of people expect it to be easy. It's a long ride with a fair amount of climbing. It's not what a lot of people expect who have never done it. In the past, we've had people bring newbie friends thinking it'll be an easy ride for them. They've even left their friends behind, making it a somewhat miserable and long day for them.

Many are right though, the Hellish part of the ride typically comes from the weather. No matter what the forecast is, expect it to be cold when you start.

Anyone planning on taking the shuttle, we have 5 spots left on the 7:30am shuttle. Plenty of room left on the 8:00am shuttle as of now.

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thread bump!

What are you guys thinking? I'd love to do it again... Preferably with a group from here. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Grego and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hecks yeah!

Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  23. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I'm still in. Haven't planned any logistics yet.
    I'm still entertaining the idea of riding down from Big Bear :coffee:

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'm down....wow, SART 3 times in 3 months

25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm in.

Probably out and back. Up 38 to LL, PO Loop, Seven Oaks and around to meet. Unless I find a shuttle to bring me back to my car at the start of LL and I can start from there. But I'm not looking hard.

26. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I was in, but now family schedules are conspiring against me. It's looking doubtful.

I've always wondered about riding down from Big Bear ... hmm ... are there any fun routes from Big Bear to where the Hell Ride starts? Not that I'll be able to join this year anyway.

27. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Wildhorse is good and kicks you out at the 38 a few miles above Southfork. You could even get on the upper SART above Southfork, but most of the time that's probably not worth it.

Other good option is the Seven Oaks trail, but it comes out at Glass Rd. so you'd miss the first 6-7 miles of the Hell Ride route.

28. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks! I just pulled those up on Trailforks to see where they are. They look pretty fun. I could see starting near the lake and climbing Pine Knot to Seven Oaks Trail, then SART all the way down to Redlands ... someday:rolleyes:.

The idea of riding down to Redlands from the top of Sugarloaf Mountain at 9'952ft sounds pretty cool too, but the climb to the peak sounds pretty brutal to start the ride.

29. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    I've never actually climbed up to Sugarloaf, but have heard it's more of a HAB than a ride.

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    One awesome way to do this, and I've only done it once, but there is a bus that picks up at the Walmart in Highland. It costs $10 to take it all the way to Big Bear and they have a bike rack on the front of the bus. It wasn't made for a 29er, but it still fit. I spent the morning riding the lifts at Summit, then had a late lunch and rode back to Redlands down Seven Oaks and then the SART (I started the morning off by riding to Highland so I'd have no car to pickup).

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?