Bike for Bender Hell Ride 2017

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Just thought I’d get the ball rolling. :p

A4BFFA04-7D7C-4E2B-820B-C585F9ED81A3.jpeg

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Well today was the Bike for Bender Hell Ride.

Late yesterday morning I threw out an invite to do an extended version of the Hell Ride. I had a couple of takers :eek:

So we organized and met up this morning at Hangar 24 to do our own self shuttle.

@Faust29 , @Mikie , @Voodoo Tom were in for sure...didn't find out til late that @Grego and @trailslayer would be in for the whole ride. We loaded up and began the drive up the mountain at 6:45. Gotta say, the sun was in a really bad location.

We passed Angelus Oaks, we passed South Fork. We stopped in at South Fork Campground to see if water was still on....it was turned off. We continued on up Hwy 38 to Big Bear, then to Big Bear Village. Temps in the low 40's/high 30's had some concerned. We did have a bobcat run across the hwy in front of us.

Geared up we started the climb up Knickerbocker. The cool temps were no longer an issue. About 40 mins later we reached the top of Skyline/7 Oaks. Couple of quick pics and we took off down 7 Oaks.

IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3165.jpg

7 Oaks is a wild trail. Loose, sandy, narrow, steep....did I say loose? It is definitely a brake burner....but it is sooooo fun.

At the bottom we headed along the Front Line Rd for a few miles before we met up on 7 Oaks Rd. A family of deer went across the road in front of us. We also saw a snake along the way. We finally reached South Fork about 10:15.....well behind the actual Hell Ride.

We figured that we would catch up to the back of the Hell Ride pack. We started up/down SART. No traffic, the casual pace picked up from time to time. Trail is getting loose and sandy. Across Glass Rd. we still hadn't seen any Hell Riders. Apparently @Grego broke a chain near the bridge over the creek. It was warming up now. Soon we reached Middle Control Rd. I pushed my own pace up MCR hoping the Aid Station was still there at the top of the road. A nice breeze kept the temps comfortable and the bugs at bay. Just as I reached the top, and rolled onto the pavement....the truck towing the trailer full of Aid Station gear drove off. Missed it by that much. We rolled on down to the Post Office/Market. Well the market is closed for good, but the cafe was open and cold drinks. So we were able to resupply for the final 24 miles.

As we got back on SART behind the Post Office, @Mikie got a flat. We got it changed in short time and were once again rolling. This is a very fun leg of SART. Loose, narrow, chunky. As we dropped down towards Thomas Hunting Grounds...the temps really got hot. We would also have our second flat of the day.... @faust had a puncture that wouldn't seal....but tire plugs worked and again we once again rolling.

Some fast and rough descents on the fire road on our way over to Morton Peak. We reached the turn off for Morton Peak and it was just plain hot. No shade, a light breeze. We got spread out pretty good on the way up. @Voodoo Tom was experiencing this portion of SART for the first time. We all made it, but nobody did the extra credit up to the Fire Outlook.

The final section of SART is only the second time on it for me. It seemed a lot more rough than last year. It was also much softer and much narrower. Think everyone had a close call or 2 along the way. It's just such a fun section of trail. Sketchy enough to make you pucker from time to time.

We finally made it to the last little drop down to the road. @trailslayer was having a lack of rear brake as chose to bypass the steep trail through the burn area. @Mikie went with him, the rest of us dropped in. I didn't see it, but it sounds like there was some ruckus going on behind me. :speechless:

A few last miles on the road before arriving back at Hangar 24. The after party was well under way. We parted ways with Mikie and Tom, before we drove back up to retrieve our trucks.

We ended up with 50 miles / 4500'

Really enjoyed the route. Great job on Vincent and Grego knocking out a 50 miler.

Good times for sure.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1251128458

Screenshot (48).png Screenshot (49).png

3. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Nice report. This was the ‘By Invitation Only’ versión of the Hell Ride? :rolleyes::ninja::(

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Nice work on that one. :thumbsup: I can't even think of a smartass quip. :oops:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Not really....you had already committed to the other shuttle by the time I threw this together. :oops:

6. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    We needed a shuttle for Hellride and found @mtnbikej and @Faust29 were throwing out invites. I quickly responded. Then the plan change to extra credit 50 miler starting from Big Bear. Jason said that he could still drop us off at South Fork so I at first declined the 50 only because Vincent so wanted to ride with @Mikie. Then when we found out Mikie was also riding the extra credit so the 50 it would be. Personally I didn't know if we could complete the ride but know all the bailouts as we did not prepare. Cold at Big Bear but I opt to bring no jacket/arm warmers etc. We would warm up quick. That initial start up Knickerbocker is a bitch. Down 7 Oaks Trail was new dirt for us. What a blast! I think we all burned up our brakes a bit. Lots of squealing going on. On Frontline Rd. I started to drop back a little. Saw the same little snake, surprised it didn't get ran over. After Frontline now the Hellride begins. Vincent loves this trail. Typical SART goodness. All of us having a good time riding. A couple regroups here and there. I heard my chain making some noise for a few miles. Then snap. I would have to take out 6 mangled links to loop the chain. Not enough chain now for my climbing gears, oh well. @Voodoo Tom would offer some spare chain link soon after but I could not get the master apart. Well a few miles down the trail my chain would break a second time. Needed to borrow another master link and spares now. Thanks a million Tom. Climbed up Middle Control and refueled at the restaurant. Vince and I still had energy as did the rest. Not bailing yet. Continuing on enjoying the SART singletrack goodness. Still a long way to go. Mikie would get a flat so I chose to continue on slowly to conserve energy. Regrouped at Thomas Hunting Grounds. THG and Leg 3 descent are my favorite parts of SART. Fast flowey followed by sketchy chunky loose fun. @Faust29 would flat at the bottom. Fast times down the fireroad then up to Morton in the blazing sun. Surprisingly I still had energy. Vince would stop in need of some chain lube. Regrouped at the top. Now the final SART singletrack. Narrow as usual but much more loose than I've seen in the past. I would lay the bike down around a switchback. Vince says he got some video of Mikie... On the steep short cut by the tank I would lay the bike down again. Got loose on some babyheads and just couldn't keep it together. This will leave a bruise or two but nothing serious. The road ride to the brewery was quick. What a great ride. So glad we upped our game a little riding with the crew. The Trailslayer totally dug it too and pulled it off effortlessly. Good times.

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Just to be clear, I can be a Diva whenever I want to! :whistling:

@mtnbikej 's report pretty much sums it up. Not sure there is much I can add other then it was a long day in the saddle, 7 hours on the trail to be exact, and to note for some of you "naysayers", that's 7 hours on 100oz. of Camelbak water mixed with, you guessed it, Tailwind Nutrition (and a 20oz. bottle of pure water)...

However!

If we want to start from the beginning to get things rolling properly...

There was "somebody" off in the bathroom... "again", while the rest of the group photo was being taken.

DSCF1689.jpg

Group shot less one dehydrator... (and the guy taking the photo)
    DSCF1690.jpg

The first drop. Down into that valley via 7 Oaks Trail off to the right.
    DSCF1691.jpg

The Trail Slayer. Obviously stoked out of his mind about the first drop.
    DSCF1692.jpg

7 Oaks. Seemed as if there were several more oaks that missed the count on this trail. I was too busy hanging on to J's wheel, having trail slayer on my azz, slamming my nutz on an unexpected drop (naturally caught on vid by Trail Slayer), and burning my brakes into oblivion, to be able to count.

DSCF1693.jpg

The Slayer making jumps out of innocent rocks on the side of the trail...
    DSCF1696.jpg

Some guy working an ongoing tradition when one has a mechanical... ahhhh traditions.

DSCF1698.jpg

Missing several parts on his bike, @Faust29 plugs a plug on his (ridiculously skinny "I brought a pen knife to a gun fight") rear tire.
    DSCF1697.jpg

DSCF1699.jpg

Totally relying on @Grego for any action shots this day. I was too busy having fun, enjoying the company, marveling at the extensive trail network, and... hanging on. This may be the new tradition for Hell Ride!

And, as mentioned above below and all places in between... There are by far no better folks to spend time and ride with then the folks on imtbtrails. I mentioned on the shuttle up... I am living in the best times of my life because of this place... Thank you!

8. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Hey Gents Nice Ride.

And as usual great pics.. this site just has great pics! @mtnbikej @Mikie @Grego Props gentlemen.

@mtnbikej thanks... the pic of @Mikie is priceless and the "Rock Band" pic with your ride in front is awesome... is @trailslayer "actually" that cool?

Someday....

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Stephen...
    Not only is the Trail Slayer "That cool" he is "That Good!"

10. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Oh! Let me correct myself..."The Trail Slayer'

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    On Friday I was planning on a nice easy cruise down the Hell Ride. The Path had my rear plus wheel ready to go with new bearings, and I already had the plus tire on the front. A 36 miler with an aid station means two bottles, no pack, and traveling light!

Then I got the text... Something about "hell" not having enough fire and brimstone. :p The plan started to form, and surprisingly, there were other takers! :eek:

So... Load up the rack extension, put the 29ers back on with the Ardent Races (fatal flaw in the plan), fill a pack and extra Tailwind and leave for Redlands a little after 5:00. Meet up with @mtnbikej, @Grego, @Trailslayer, @Voodoo Tom, and @Mikie at Hangar 24, and hatch out the plan. I'm the tail-end shuttle guy today. I think I got the better end of the deal, because we were blinded with the sun most of the way up the mountain in the morning. :cool:

It was a little chilly in Big Bear, but I manned up and left most of the extra clothing in the truck. Gone are the days that I'd jump through the ice into the freezing water. Long gone. :p

Knickerbocker was a stout climb on cold legs. It never got really steep, but it is a good warmup... With the pavement section included, it was about 5 miles and 1000 feet to the top of Seven Oaks. The second half of the climb gets easier, and levels out a little, which is my favorite kind of climb. Similar to Maple Springs, where the hardest part is in the beginning.

Seven Oaks was wild. Sort of a shorter Manzanita. 2+ miles of steep (over 800ft./mile), loose, a little rocky in spots, some small chutes, and hanging on the edge burning brakes! And by loose, I mean there were a few spots where the front tire disappeared into the powder. It took about 200 yards to realize that the 2.35 Ardent Race on the front was a bad choice. Note to future self who might read this: "Go with the Minion, Dummy!" Or the plus tires... Anything but the XC tires. This is a trail that I'd like to do again, but with a better setup... :thumbsup:

From the bottom of Seven Oaks, it was up and down on the fire roads back to the Hell Ride start at South Fork. Some up, some down, but it was nice to have the camaraderie along the way. This was a good group... There is no water at South Fork. All of the fountains have been capped off for the winter. Maybe California needs to invest in a freeze-proof fountain for us diehards. Like this one:

Yeah... It still didn't work. :p
    freeze proof.jpg

We just rode the upper part of SART a couple months ago, but last time I was on 3.0 Rangers at stupid low pressures. Some may disagree :whistling:, but the plus tires are a lot more fun through there. Line choice is wherever they happen to roll, and they completely eliminate a lot of the smaller rocks and roots. And they also grant enough traction that the rider is more comfortable hanging on the edge, so that he doesn't throw a shoulder into a tree on a tight left hander at speed. :whistling: :oops: The first of our mechanicals happened through this section...

SRAM Chains FTW!
    IMG_1436.jpg

Middle Control Road isn't a bad climb... But it's a climb. I hung on for the first half, and then fell off a little ways. That seems to happen more often with the heavier bike. But, she's fun to ride. Vincent rolled in a little after, and agreed to stay for the others, while we rolled to the restaurant. Unbeknownst to us, Grego was fixing his fixed SRAM chain. Three letters: KMC. :p Thankfully, the restaurant has bottled water for sale, and a yellow Gatorade caught my eye. It just looked good at the time. :thumbsup:

After the others rolled in, we headed out behind the post office, where we promptly had another mechanical.

Fashion Mikie modeling his new tube for the adoring fans...
    IMG_1440.jpg

From Angelus Oaks to the fire road is a blur... Some chunk, some exposure, a lot of loose, and a flat along the way. My rear Ardent Race has had a plug in for a couple weeks. It must have come loose, because I felt the familiar spray of Orange Seal on my leg. It sealed, but the tire was pretty low. I rode it out to the fire road, and plugged it with a bacon strip. @Mikie may have a picture of this process. :whistling: :p

The fire road down to the base of the Morton Peak climb is fast and fun. It's a nice stretch to catch your breath before the ball buster climb up to Morton. :thumbsup: :gag: We half-heartedly encouraged Tom to climb to the lookout, but he declined the offer. I think we were all a little baked at this point. After a short regroup, we headed out for the lower part of SART.

Loose? There were sections that had no hard line, and it looked like the cliff was sliding into the canyon below... There definitely was some tripoding through here, but I kept the wheels on the ground and soon enough we were at the last descent to the water tower. Vincent had no brakes, and opted for the fire road with Mikie. Jason jumped out front and made it down unscathed. The rest of us took three different approaches, but we all made it down- mostly unscathed. :p

From there it was pavement and off-menu (?) single tracks back to the start... Load up, quick change of clothes, and head back to the top for the cars!

Things I learned:

1. Leave the XC tires at home this time of year. It's way too loose.
    2. The WTB Volt is good for shorter rides, but kills me on death marches. My girlie saddle is coming off the Highball. :oops:
    3. Get to Rocky's before 5:00. :thumbsdown:
    4. This is an awesome group of guys and I'd ride with them anytime. Probably already knew that, though... :thumbsup:

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I honestly can't answer that. The only time I see him is at the regroups! :oops:

13. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Good thing you don't have any plans for kids. Probably good to not extend your gene pool, LOL:Roflmao:Roflmao

14. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    @Grego Get that boy an IMTB jersey... he's earned it!

I rode up on 7:30 (40) shuttle w/ @riiz and friend JB. Took about 50 min to get to Southfork. Bikes were there, and already unloaded. We jumped on and started riding. It was chilly for about three minutes until we hit the climb up the first leg of the SART, and then perfect temps! I was mentally off on this portion, and had a less than stellar ride. Grabbed a lot of brake at every turn, mentally freaked out by the exposure on the sandy DG and getting my front end knocked out of the line by rocks. Wasn't in the game at this point. @UPSed passed us here, but I didn't realize it was him.

That didn't last long, and was completely forgotten on the Glass Rd to MCR segment. LOVE that trail... a true gem IMHO! Up MCR, which was nice and shady and bug-free. Margaritas and PBJ at the top! Secret trail segment to jump back on SART rather than climbing the road behind the post office, meant we had the trail to ourselves!

Little rest at the heli-ped, which was funny as riders dropped in to where we were thinking it was the trail. Sorry guys... Ripped through the Thomas Hunting Ground sections and had a great time. Mental issues were over, and no problems with the exposure or trail at all.

Blasting down the fire roads to Morton reminded me a lot of riding in the Santa Monicas. Very similar to Dirt Mulholland. But damn that climb up Morton... Full sun, and just a grind. I don't like it at all. And both @riiz and I agreed the payoff wasn't really worth it. Lower SART was blown out, collapsing in, and just not there. I had no flow, and was really tired. Just made it down.

Then foolishly followed the sneaky signs saying Singletrack----> That was a mistake, as the top section sucked. Too tight turns, too soft, and I was too tired. OTB and effed up my shins pretty bad. Couldn't stand for a few seconds they hurt so bad. OK damn it, back on the bike, rest of that trail was pretty fun. Dirt to the gate, then some roads, then the Paul Bunyan trail which I try to talk people into taking (I think it's a blast), then to beer and pizza!

Very fun time at Hangar... really crowded, but had some great seasonal IPA, delicious pizza, and won two raffles! $20 in gift cards to Cyclery, couple of shirts, some grips... nothing wrong with that! Talked w/ @UPSed and @Luis a bit (he was a pretty good winner at the raffle!). Saw @Grego riding around, but didn't want to leave the raffle to say hi (I am a poor excuse of a friend).

Got home, took the kids to a Halloween carnival (Parenting points earned), collected the big brown box off the porch, and pretty much collapsed. A pretty damn good day!!!

Full pix here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157687685087541

@riiz needs a jersey, too:
    24150668628_1d3b936d67_b.jpg

Views from THG segment of SART:
    24150669468_1644906b53_b.jpg

There was some of this:
    24150659768_a68425113e_b.jpg

Photo-break on Morton Peak:
    37971717822_393b854f7d_b.jpg

Moab-ish rock:
    26226195859_fb8d4dbdef_b.jpg

Dropping in on lower-SART:
    26226202669_be2694a3f2_b.jpg

@riiz ignoring signage
    26226204009_59bd19bf99_b.jpg

It's a party:
    37945983216_5a9fabec09_b.jpg

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Looks like everyone had an awesome ride, and some had intimate interactions with the trail. Good job, all!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd have joined, but I had other plans already. :whistling:

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  17. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    Looks like a very long and fun ride, wish I could have joined but already had a busy day planned. 2 softball games for my 12 year old during the day, then my best friend's son birthday party out in Riverside in the afternoon and then Halloween party at night with my wife and her coworkers. I was burned out and didn't get to ride yesteray but hopefully next year I can make it out.

18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Riverside was half way there!
    Hell Ride is really is a great event. Love the trail, love the festivity, love the margaritas on top of MCR (better than Tailwind!). Even though it's pretty crowded, everyone seems to find their pace and have a good day. Bike 4 Bender really goes out of their way to put on a good show, and produces a great environment.

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Funny.....we did the same ride, trails were wide open, no traffic. Then again, no margaritas either. Skipped out on the festivities.

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    You basically picked a popular day to go on an epic ride!
    Nothing wrong with that... although you should have stayed for raffle and beer!!!

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Raffle was already underway when we finished....and I don’t drink.

Oh yeah, and we had to drive back up to Big Bear to get the other vehicles.

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Oh yeah, I forgot all about that part of it... That was an extra two hours for you!!!

23. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Badass boyz!

SnakeCharmer, Faust29, Grego and 3 others like this.
  24. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Here's a video Vince put together. I told him to make it short but he insisted to make it 20 minutes. He claims that's what the You-tuber's do these days.

25. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    DangerDirtyD, ricke24, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  26. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Awesome video Vince. Editing them down is hard to do so I get it.I like em with sound though .Gotta hear the tires gripping & slipping, brakes howling, heavy breathing and smack talking in mountain bike videos. That chesty mount is pretty dang cool. Haha mile after mile and hour after hour of @Mikie trying to shake "the trail slayer" and he couldn't. Kudos to those who survided the day on skinny xc'ish tires. Still trying to figure out how @mtnbikej goes so damn fast with no rear suspension, no dropper and only one gear though...:confused:

27. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    J once won a Beginner DH race at Big Bear and right after he stepped off the podium he retired from that type of racing.... He is that fast, so fast he chooses not to race!

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Damn straight.....now if only I could win a XC race and an Endurance race I could officially retire from doing those as well. :cry:

29. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    Looks like you guys were going pretty fast, my slow ass would have been left behind, plus all that exposure:unsure::(

30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    @Grego - I've been waiting for that! I'll throw it up on the big screen for the wife later, so she can see what I ruined my ass on! :p

@ricke24 - By the end of the day I was really over the exposure, and just wanted to be done! Lower SART was barely a solid trail. But... I'd do it again. :thumbsup:

Grego, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.