Bike appearance vs quality ride....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Jan 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    When I was looking at various brands and compiling my short list, Giant was pretty much eliminated from the start. Those colors are just obnoxious. I couldn't get close enough to check them out without sunglasses. The press fit bottom brackets were also an issue. Same with the Canyon Spectral and the YTs- even though I'm a sucker for German engineering.

The Chameleon was love at first sight, even before I rode one. The lines were in the right place, the geometry was what I wanted. I learned to embrace the army green and purple. And now I'm learning to like the burnt orange on the replacement frame... That is a bike that will be with me for some time.

The Hightower (in most of the colors...) was always a good looking bike to my eye, but it wasn't at the top of the list. My two warranty experiences with Santa Cruz and the deal I found pushed me over the edge when BackCountry was blowing out last year's models. But like some of the guy's above, I see it as a tool. If something happened to the bike, I'd get over it... I told Jason I'd be more upset if something happened to the wheels he built. :thumbsup:

And if I were swayed by looks, I wouldn't have kept this color for over 3o years. I really wanted the next model up, but my lawn mowing money only went so far. :p

56867247928__314AF2E8-48C1-47A0-86E0-2AA6B0F207EA.jpg

Evoracer, herzalot, Danimal and 12 others like this.
  3. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    It must look good. With so many sweet bikes out there, I can't imagine why someone would buy something that didn't stimulate them.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Perhaps a Bonsai tree logo for the head tube badge? :D

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    mud-flap-bonsai.jpg

BeckTrex, Luis, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My bike’s design and execution stimulate me. Also, the way it rides. It’s ugly, so what?

7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Oh good, then its settled. :thumbsup:

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Your bike was at the top of the "looks" list. Still is! These plastic bikes are great tools, but they all look the same.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It’s fun to get people’s take on it. I think many are mildly repelled by the TT bend. Something about dog humping. Hehe.

To me it’s like climbing gear; rope, hardware, shoes. You buy the best gear for the job at the cheapest price, and you don’t care about color or aesthetics because they’re all ugly and you don’t notice them in the activity. But it has to have the exact rubber, fit and specs you want, because you know exactly what works for you and your missions. Ugly tools that become beautiful in the field. Hey, I lived through the 8os, I can stomach any color combo.

10. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I used to be all about the look of the bike. Somewhere along the line I got a bit broken though, I've nearly convinced the missus I need one of these in my life.
    Whyte PRST.JPG
    .......and there is no way that is a good looking bike. Supposed to ride like nothing else though!

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay. I'm totally in love! :inlove:

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    When I picked out my new bike. I remember somebody telling me. "There are plenty of "expensive" bikes out there yet people gravitate to the Hightower based on performance."

That resonated with me so I looked towards Santa Cruz. Was not thrilled with the choice of two colors, neither of which I would have chose off the showroom floor. I don't ride the bike I ride because so many others do, and certainly not due to color options or style. I can care less what others ride. I ride my Hightower because it is the funnest dahm bike I have ever ridden! There aint a ride day go by that @Voodoo Tom and I are not giggling like school girls when we finish the day and are heading home. Not a ride goes by that we are not talking about how fun and how well our bikes perform. The word in our household is ironically exactly the same as @mountaingirl sara ...
    Function Over Fashion!

Yet I think my bike is sexy and pretty as time rolls on.
    And in regard to @mike 's bike? Function AND Fashion. Throw a military star on that beeotch and I would fantasize about owning a GG. May even be my next bike down the road!

13. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    A lot of my riding friends have a brand loyalty that trumps looks and function. Personally, I'll get what ever is affordable, has decent specs, and a decent reputation. It's tough to judge off a demo since the parts and the cockpit hasn't been set up the way I'd run it.

All new bikes feel good to me... I don't have a refined palate. :Roflmao

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My old lady would love an ugly bike or bike part if it saves ten bucks. She's worse than me, by far. Or, per herz, she's way cooler than me. :D(Note: she actually is.)

Luis, herzalot, Danimal and 8 others like this.
  15. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I can't think of very many bikes or colors these days that are so ugly or obnoxious I wouldn't ride them. Some definitely look better than others but as long as the bike does what I want it to do, I don't care that much. Never been one to go overboard coordinating colors either. I usually only swap out parts based on functionality. If the bike I want only comes in colors I'm not fond of I'd just have to deal with it.

The bigger hang up for me are design and the company. I try to avoid things like press fit BB and other features I don't like and can't easily change. If the build kits include too many components I don't like and can't swap out that might throw me off too. As for company, I will try hard to not support any company that makes e-bikes. That might get harder over time. I also prefer to support smaller or local companies over big ones like Trek/Giant. And I'll never buy a specialized based just on their business practices, I don't care how good the bikes are.

Faust29, herzalot, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  16. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    DBF0A74A-FD60-48FB-ABCF-2361800091F1.jpeg

17. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Fair enough

18. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Function over looks. I went with Santa Cruz because they gave me a new frame for free. I went with my most recent Titanium Lynskey because I wanted American made. However an American made aluminum bike would have done the same job for bike packing. My Lynskey doesn't look all that pretty to me but I'm sure it will work well in the field.

Danimal, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's absolutely beautiful... And about 6 models over the Traveler I bought. :thumbsup:

Mine was pretty much original... Until it did a year in Oregon as my kid's college commuter. Kids... Just how do you bend drop bars into pretzel?!? :mad:
    IMG_2079.jpg

He did his first real bike rides on it... As did I a long time ago...

Big Ring Century... When it still had 7000 feet of climbing.
    IMG_9358.jpg

Redman, Mikie, herzalot and 13 others like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    That frame color looks like a Bianchi green rip-off so I like it :)

I agree with the lines of the Chameleon. The purple over green is classic SC putrid design in my book. I've had several Santa Cruz' and I will check out the newly designed Bronson when the time comes but they better get some more "classic" colors or that would be a no go.

When Evil first came out, I couldn't understand how anything could design something to look like that but several years later, I find them acceptable nowadays.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Would have had a faster finish time if the legs were shaved!! What kind of a roadie doesn't shave their legs?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  22. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

You just hit the nail on the head Mike “”you don’t notice them in the activity”. Once I’m out on the trail (or road lately :oops:) I’m not thinking about how my bike looks or even how I look..it’s all about diggin in,sweating hard and having fun! Forget about looking cool, hot, rad or whatever....you’ll have way more fun!!!

Mikie, herzalot, hill^billy and 7 others like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lol, awe Mikie :rolleyes:

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That’s an awesome pic!

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  25. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    DSCN1797.JPG My old Schwinn

26. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Looks like we need to organize a vintage road ride soon. Haha

Luis, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    At some point, the “storm trooper” and “where’s your duct tape?” comments hurt my feelings, and I don’t wanna play anymore. Ima take my bike and go home!

doublewide, Mikie, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Give me names Chicken Nugget, who’s talkin’ trash?? :mad:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 5 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I dint talk any this time but I'll take one for the bad boyz here. What's my punishment gonna be? :eek::D

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :whistling:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?