Big Bear Singletrack Epic...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    October 25th finally came . . . and unfortunately went... :(
    Today was BBJohn's Big Bear ride. BBJohn is a partial local having owned a cabin up there now for about the last 7 years. Before that, he used to borrow that same cabin from the friends he purchased it from.

This all came about from a somewhat odd meeting while in Big Bear several months ago: http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1268

That is, meeting Big Bear John (BBJohn) in . . . well, Big Bear, two Big Bear rides ago... To recap we were up there with Dennis White to pre-ride a US Cup course when we stumbled across BBJohn out looking for us from a Trailhead post here on imtbtrails that he was lurking. That day was full of Fire Roads (plegh!) which I personally am okay with other than the fact that Big Bear is full of excellent singletrack Drops-O-Fun! :cool:

So BBJohn promised that he would put together a singletrack extravaganza for us... Days turned into weeks, weeks into a couple of months. Injuries came and went for several of us and the day, Yes, the day came; and that day was October 25, 2014! ...Today.

As I have stated before, Big Bear is a 3 hour drive for me. I was meeting Hill^billy at the East Park and Ride off Avenue S and the 14 Freeway at 7:00am because meet time was 9:00am with ride time at 9:30. That meant I was out of bed at 5:00am to be on the road by 5:45am. :roll: ...

Hill^billy was out, then back in again fearful that he had rear brake problems he could not overcome. Yet he did, so our meet time stuck. Rossage had already pulled out stating he had to stick around home for the day, and varaxis said he was in!

I pulled into the Park-n-Ride at 6:55 and low and behold, Hill^billy pulled in 2 minutes after me. Ladies and gentlemen, TWICE! Hill^billy has been on time. :clap:

big_bear_bbjohn_hb.jpg

The Meet Point to head to Big Bear.
    IMG-20141025-02476.jpg

Everything has to end in 'i'... Yeti, Mini...
    IMG-20141025-02477.jpg

Red skies at night, red skies at night, oh, oh.... oh, ohohohohohoh...
    IMG-20141025-02478.jpg

hill^billy and his" Super bowl" of Cereal. Yup! It's a trademark.
    IMG-20141025-02480.jpg

Oh yeah, the ride.

BBJohn aka Big Bear John, aka a great dude that I don't get to ride nearly enough with...
    IMG-20141025-02481.jpg

Temps were suppose to be on the cool side, and they were. It was pretty breezy as well. But we threw on just enough to keep us warm throughout the day.
    I could have sworn we left in plenty of time, yet Hill^billy and I showed up in the parking lot at 9:10am. We were 10 minutes late! We sat around talking our usual smack waiting for Dan aka varaxis to show. We tried calling him but no answer. So we were stuck (and forced) to sit around and watch girls change out of their driving clothes into their riding clothes in the Snow Summit parking lot . . . thanks a lot Dan! :roll:

Finally gave up on Dan and took off. Turns out he overslept...? o_O

So the 3 of us headed out Town Trail to the West to 2N51Y a tasty climb that took us to Skyline, about a 1,000 foot climb in less than 4 miles. Dropped down Skyline for a bit to get to Powerline. Climbed back up to do Trick or Treat, and then climbed up Plantation and then down Dry Hump . . . :shock:

Climbed back to the top on Wet Dream, rolled along Skyline for quite a while over to Pineknot, then to Grandview. Skyline from 7 Oaks over to Snow Point, dropping back down Powerline, Snow Forrest Trail, and hammered back to Snow Summit on Town Trail. We ended up doing approx. 26.5 miles with around 4,000 feet+ of climbing.

I should take a picture of hill^billy taking a picture. Well... it "sounded" good.
    IMG-20141025-02482.jpg

BBJohn and hill^billy. Two great guys to ride with. These guys love mountain biking.
    IMG-20141025-02484.jpg

Up the grade to starting heading back...
    IMG-20141025-02485.jpg

Fall weather brings the beautiful fall color...
    IMG-20141025-02487.jpg
    IMG-20141025-02489.jpg

Back at the vehicles at Snow Summit. Another awesome ride with some favorite buds. Time to grub!
    IMG-20141025-02490.jpg

After loading up we went over to Sonora Cantina which was a lot better than last time! Certainly, the Modelo was in excellent condition! :thumbup:

No serious crashes, I hit a rock looking back at the boys to see if I was making the right turn, and BBJohn tried to do a superman over the bars.
    All in all an awesome day. Hit the parking lot and said our goodbye and headed home...

...oh, did I mention the Swedish Barmaids in their Awesome-Hosin's for Octoberfest?

...how-evahhh, That ain't where the story ends. Heading East out of town getting ready to make a left across the lake to drop down into Lucerne Valley, traffic was really backed up. Doug kept saying that he thought heading West out of Big Bear was much faster. Finally I just turned around and headed towards Arrowhead. Yikes! What a mistake! We followed the highway 18 for evahhh.... :roll: by the time we got past Running Springs I realized we were adding about 45 minutes to the drive home. The good news is we got to listen to some of the best classic Rock-N-Roll . . . . really really loud! :D

Got home at 8:00pm . . . long day . . . . worth it!!

Thank John for hosting a great day!

Mikie
    Bike On!

2. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Now that, my friends, is how you do a ride report. Great report and great ride! Thanks for sharing. :clap:

Interesting bar end setup Mikie. Never seen that before. Whatever works!

Mikie likes this.
  3. BBJohn

BBJohn Active Member

Name:
    John
    Mikie, Hill^billy a big thank you guys for coming up. Awesome day!! The traffic was from the last night of Oktoberfest. Ironically the FD was dispatched for too many folks in the building a bit later. You saw the get-ups at the restaurant, no wonder it was packed. :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    BIG THANKS to BBJohn, he is a cool cat, and is a real lucky dude to be able widdle away his time in Big Bear, sitting on the couch, watching TV, and staring at his computer, just relaxin? YAH RIGHT! He hurt me, but I still like him :lol: .
    Even though it was a big mistake, I was laughing all the way home after realizing, just how big a mistake it was to take the scenic drive back on the 18. I tried to tell Mikie, we could make the best of my MISTAKE, and stop off in Silverwood and ride somemore, but he would have none of that! Good thing my mistake happened after a good therapeutic BB ride, otherwise he would of left me for dead, somewhere along the hwy? The mood was dramatic before and after the ride, due to work place angst, amazing for sure what a good ride can do! Saved my life yesterday! :lol: :lol: :lol: Mikie took out his angst out on the trail and crushed anything and everything in his way!

Mikie likes this.
  5. BBJohn

BBJohn Active Member

Name:
    John
    You think traffic in town was bad, just be glad it wasn't a Sunday Hill^billy. Otherwise there are a lot of places along the Rim to toss a body!! :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  6. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Well-Known Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
    Thanks for the invite.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Are you sure you want to post this?
    It was posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 pm in Trailhead by BBJohn and has been on the Event Calendar for over a month. If you wanted to go you should have said something. You, like everyone else, are always invited, and then have an excuse as to why you can't make it.

I apologize for having to state this my friend, but you got to take the initiative to show up, and, become a bit more reliable.

Most sincerely your friend,
    Mikie

8. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Well-Known Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
    Chit! Missed it altogether! :?

Mikie likes this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Got a pic of Mikie and John, when they stopped and where waiting for me, like they did ALL day! Thanks for waiting guys! Time for me to ride more :cool: .

image.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  10. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    wish I could have made it. hope I can get up there before any snow hits.

Mikie likes this.
  11. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Mikey I thought you help Doug rotate his phone !?!?

Mikie likes this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Just goes to show that 2 wrongs can't GET it right! :laugh::Roflmao:confused:

13. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    As always nice RR and good pics mikie, thanks for sharing, mmm I'm thinking on call in sick, to my job, one of these sundays and ride with you guys....

Mikie likes this.