Beware of SNAKES !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom the Bomb, May 8, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    More Greens. The fat one is gravid.

V__1E76.jpg

MGR 9-10.jpg

2. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    The few times I’ve come across the Green’s -they’ve always been SUPER pissed. Give them lots of room

Danmtchl, Oaken, mike and 3 others like this.
  3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    On my run today in HB I saw a nice skin shed. Right behind Newland House.
    Don't run with my phone, so no pics.

Danmtchl, Oaken, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    I probably saw that one yesterday about half a mile down from ridge park (just up the hill from the fence line exit)

Danmtchl, fos'l and mike like this.
  5. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Yesterday Courtney and I did a quick spin in Chino hills. Coming back from 4 corners I was in front. I swerved around a small rattle snake about 16 inches long which woke it up. It coiled. I yelled at Courtney to watch out. She couldn't see the snake due to the late afternoon sun and the snake being dirt colored. She began to hit the brakes but as she rolled past she lifted her legs and clipped the snake. I remember looking back and seeing the snake in the air just below axle high and that was it. Nothing happened. It didn't bite her. We saw 2 gardener snakes and the one rattler on yesterday's ride. Why is Chino Hills loaded with so many snakes?

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Prime habitat. Have you not noticed the plethora of lizards, small bunnies, mice & rats? It's snake heaven!!

Glad she wasn't bitten.

Danmtchl, Stkx66 and Oaken like this.
  7. Chicane32

Chicane32 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4
    I passed this guy on Vista Trail (Oniell Park) single track last April. He’s pretty healthy.

909C8712-45C7-4A93-BA4A-26B4504E18B0.jpeg

Danmtchl, herzalot, ~JB~ and 5 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That one looks gravid. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and Dirtrider.... like this.
  9. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I used to ride the Anaheim Hills side every other day and would see one on about half the rides this time of year.

herzalot and Oaken like this.
  10. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    That thing is the top of the food chain there (IMO).

Danmtchl and Poofighter like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Some species of snakes can live beyond 50 years. It takes a Reticulated Python or a Green Anaconda decades to reach 20 feet.

Danmtchl, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It's likely surrounded by developments, therefore land locking the wildlife in place. Furthermore, it must be a big enough area to sustain populations without constant human interaction, otherwise the population would slowly be wiped out.

Danmtchl, Mikie, kdiff and 2 others like this.
  13. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Its always a great thing to keep the babies coming!! LOVE seeing snakes out on the trails... Such beautiful creatures.

So far i've seen zero on my rides this year. I need to get out more for many reasons...

Strongly agree that the snake above did not have to die. Very sad when that is the first reaction imo.

Mikie and kdiff like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I haven't seen many this year yet either but we did see this 18" SPR a week or so ago at one of our City Parks. I think I posted it elsewhere here, too.

IMG_2919.JPG

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  15. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Member

Name:
    Eric
    I saw two just like this on Vista this past Saturday. The danger noodles are out to play. Be safe!!

16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've been eyeballing a trapped rattler for about a week now. It had gotten down into the flood control channel at our City Park and it was only a matter of time before some idiot threw a big rock on it's head from above. I was planning to climb down into the channel to scoop up the snake but the area is super busy with trail and park users and like most flood control channels, it is clearly posted that big fines and jail time come to those who are caught in there. We were going by there daily to see if it was still there. Meanwhile, I was concocting a means of rescuing it. And then I finally came up with a good solution. I connected about 18 feet of 1" sched 40 PVC and then I duct taped my fishing net to the end of it. I looked on the way home from the ride today and it was in the same area, coiled up and asleep. I lowered my uber-long handled net down and tapped the snake gently. In a daze, it crawled right into the net and I lifted it up and out of the channel. It barely rattled. I was expecting it to be furious like large rattlers usually are but this one is rather timid. I lowered it into a 5 gal bucket and snapped on a cover. I will take it up Whiting Woods a little later today for release. It's super fat, quite pretty for a rattler pushing 4 feet and still very timid. I feel good about this. I was really concerned for this beauty which has an impressive rattle, with well over 10 buttons. SnakeCharmer, who charmed a big 'ol rattler this afternoon, out...

IMG_3437.JPG

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3441 (1).JPG

BeckTrex, Danmtchl, Redman and 15 others like this.
  17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Hippy Jim would give you $100 for that snake.

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Dinner, boots or headband?

19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Has anyone heard of someone actually being bit by snake?
    I've seen at least one hundred in the past 20 years mtbkin but never even attacked....
    Just wondering...
    Only person I heard get bit was rock climber at Joshua.. put his hand up and wham...

Danmtchl, Mikie and rossage like this.
  20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, one of my daughter's high school teachers was bitten by a baby. He lives up against the wilds and he had a bad habit of leaving his shoes on the garage floor. I guess you can imagine what happened in the recent past when he went out there and put on his shoes. He got treatment quickly and has no permanent damage. I heard that he has seen another rattler on his property since that bite.

Danmtchl, Mikie, konakc and 2 others like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Hippy Snake ain't selling it to Hippy Jim!

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    All three.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Good thing @SnakeCharmer rescued that hoss then...

Danmtchl, Mikie and rossage like this.
  24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    My brother in law got tagged about 10 years ago. He was wearing shorts and flip flops and was filling a bird feeder when he felt a tingle and looked down to see the small snake chomping on his foot. He got a free helicopter ride transferred to three different hospitals till they found one with enough anti venom. His foot still tingles and feels numb to this day.

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    With all the rattlers I’ve handled in my life, it’s a wonder I haven’t been tagged myself. I came really close to it in my teens. I was holding one in my hands and the damned thing somehow backed out of my hand. These days, I let the snake hook do the handling.

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Several years ago on Stagecoach I was very lucky...

The story...

Today was a good day
    My Wife accepted a cool new job
    I got my major project approved at work
    And I got to ride LCWP on a beautiful summer evening with a friend

But the day almost took a serious turn for the worse…

I was riding up South Stagecoach in LCWP and approaching the couple big switchbacks. The first switchback is the toughest and now is a bit loose, rutting and rocky. I explained to my friend that you need to attack it an power through. So I middle-chain-ringed-it and powered into it. Just as I was almost at the exit point on the wide / uphill side of the turn, I was surprised by an extremely loud “BBZZZZZZZZZZZ”. Instantly recognizable… RATTLESNAKE. I looked down just in time to see Big Red he was right there on the uphill shelf and I saw him in a flash take a very serious and determined strike at me, full extension, mouth open, fangs out, turn sidewise so I was looking through the jaws and could see some of the white underbelly…I got a little closer look than I wanted or needed, funny how saw all that in an instant. He struck right near my back tire right behind my right thigh that just happen to be in the forward portion of the stroke. I did not panic yelled “RATTLER STOP” to my buddy and finished powering through turn … with a little extra boost.

He was big and pissed, and continued to rattle…it had quite an effect on Sul… first time he has seen one in the wild…and Red was pretty impressive and LOUD. We waited for quite some time at a distant then he slowly worked himself off into the bushes … stopping and rattling on the way. When we came back by on the decent 10 min later…he buzzed again.

I was pretty calm through the whole episode, however It did sink in a little later on the ride…had a little trouble staying focused so rode easy. I know it probably would not have been life threatening…but would have really ruined my day/week/months.

Told My Wife, she how knows the danger, but still not the best / easy conversation.
    But we had a great day…funny how it could have turned on a switchback.

Note about thigh high...
    BigRed1_cropped.jpg

~JB~, BeckTrex, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  27. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Didn't @hill^billy get a dry bite from a snake similarly perched on the uphill shelf of a trail?

Haven't had any close calls personally but I ran into a guy who had just had an experience like @bvader but on a straight section of trail, not a bench cut. By the time I got there a few mins later the snake was gone.

A friend of mine had a crash trying to stop for a rattler laying on a trail once, went OTB and both he and the bike landed on the snake. Fortunately it was sunning itself and wasn't active. It didn't really move til he had scrambled out of striking distance. Can't imagine how scary that was!

rossage, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The hike up Whiting Woods fire road for the release about killed me after the "socially paced" ride earlier in the day. The snake remained mellow to the last. It never rattled. When I pulled the cover off the bucket at the chosen release location, it was calmly coiled up and looking up at me. I tilted the bucket and it didn't move. I tilted the bucket more and it slide partially out but tried to crawl back in! I had to use my snake hook to get it out. It quickly moved into a dense bush where it bedded down and that was that.

IMG_3443.JPG

~JB~, BeckTrex, Redman and 13 others like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Did I? Most don’t believe it?

Mikie likes this.