Best tubeless sealant

Discussion in 'Sealant' started by Tom the Bomb, Apr 22, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'd be happy with lasting seven months. That's at least double what Stan's lasts for me. Wondering about 5oz per tire though, that's about double Stan's.

So I wonder if you add twice the amount of Stan's, will it last twice as long???

UPSed and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    IMO Stan's gives you the most bang for your buck and it works. No more Guinea pigging for me. And as I stated earlier when it comes time to change tires I'm going to add just enough for them to seal then carry a bottle with me in case I flat. The way I look at it if it's a slash it will be less messy to install a tube.

BTW countless times I have removed a tire to find the Stan's all dried up anyways and it held are just fine.

3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    So did you add the Stans in with the Finishline sealant? No problems so far mixing the two?

UPSed and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Maybe @UPSed stumbled onto the magic bullet: FiniStans!

jwag, Danmtchl, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have major goathead issues, so need to have fresh sealant in the tires all the time. Otherwise I'm calling for spousal-lyft.
    I have had only success with Stan's, but it does dry out on me pretty quickly.

6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Same here, I rarely get flats and rarely check the viscocity of my Stans. I just carry a tube so I can give it away.

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I just added it though the valve stem. The Finish Line has been in there for a few months and it's probably just enough to line the inside of the tire. The Stan's had no problem finding the hole and sealing it.

8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Maybe so

Cyclotourist likes this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    FWIW, a home-brew technique friends of mine use is Orange Seal initial application on a new tire, followed by Stan's for puncture sealant.
    The OS supposedly does a better job sealing the sidewalls, where Stan's would continually oozes through. But having Stan's for regular sealant after that works better for sealing individual goat head punctures (which as I mentioned we have a lot of).

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Think of it like this....

If it's drying up fast inside your tire, it's sealing up leaks fast when it's called upon.

And on that note, I'll stick with Stan's, thank you very much.

I add 4 ounces to a new tire and top off with 2-4 ounces depending on when it was done last and the air temps/relative humidity/moon phase/sun flares/planetary alignment/lottery numbers/...

Danmtchl, UPSed and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?