Best tubeless sealant

Discussion in 'Sealant' started by Tom the Bomb, Apr 22, 2018.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Orange Seal paid them more money in advertising.

As a "review" site....they are awfully biased towards those companies that advertise.

2. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, just trolling the boys....

Cyclotourist, UPSed, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Does this mean no more (Stan's) boogers when using Finish Line? :confused:

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    It’s worth it just for the air retention! I haven’t added more than a pound or two of air since VQ- 5 weeks ago.

You want it to seal holes, too??? :p

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Seems Fish Line failed the real world test against an actual hole.

The comments following said it was great, but apparently without actually having to seal a hole.

Faust29, UPSed and Danmtchl like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I don't know about that hole... it looks like it was right at the lip of the tire, next to the bead. I can't say if Stan's, Cafe Latex or Orange Seal would do any better. The fluid just doesn't go up the sidewall to get a spot like that. How does it work against plain old goat heads?

Edit: I see it's right at the edge of where the tread ends. And yeah, it's a slice, not a puncture.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    It was a slice. I've yet to see any kind of sealant permanently seal a slice. As soon as you start rolling and the tire flexes it's going to let go. The cut looks like a good candidate for a plug.

20180520_213004.jpg

Danmtchl, Faust29, rossage and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Sealed mine during VQ, I believe... it happened too fast and I was a little less than 100% at that point. I may have been hearing things.

9. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That is the difference with this stuff... If it works. The jury is still out. The sidewall and tread are covered equally, as it paints the inside of the tire completely with jelly. No pools at the bottom when the tire is at rest. I'm pretty sure this is the reason that my tires don't lose air anymore. The thin weepy sidewalls aren't allowed to be weepy anymore.

10. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    All I’m going to add is to sort of echo what J said earlier. MTBR is a bought and paid for website. Read their reviews long enough and you’ll see where they “push” readers. Just follow the accompanying ads. :)

Danmtchl, rossage, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  11. Fijirob

Fijirob Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rob
    Danmtchl, Faust29, OTHRider and 2 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Exactly...that is why they are pushing the Ebike agenda so much.

Danmtchl, Faust29, rossage and 2 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    On our Black Star + Single Tracks ride the other day, I apparently sliced the front tire on Booby Trap. The slice is approximately 1 inch long, and runs vertically between bead and tread. Some of the slice isn't all the way through, but there are several spots that are seeping inside the cut.

The good news? I didn't notice it until I went to put the bike on the rack after the ride. The front tire lost about half of its air... But it sealed without me even realizing it had been cut. I filled it when I got home, and it held air the rest of the week. I don't trust the tire with the type of cut it has, but the Finish Line sealed it, and got me back to the car as well as Stans or Orange Seal would have. Maybe better...

IMG_2790.jpg

14. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Update... I have been off of the bike since last Saturday. 9 days and counting. :(

The Chameleon has been sitting in the garage, baking in the heat... Thinking that she's unloved. :( :cry: I noticed a small chalky circle of sealant in the center of the tread, where it had sealed a puncture in the past. Looking at the tire more closely, there are at least 6 "pin prick" type holes that were sealed fast enough that I never noticed, and fast enough that I never lost air. I'm pretty sure the way this stuff coats the tire lets it work much faster than a liquid that pools and then has to "find "the hole. The tire still has 25 PSI in it, even after sitting for 9 days. And I don't remember when I last had to add air... I love this stuff for the air retention alone. :thumbsup:

I'm going to call "Total BS" on the MTBR review. It sealed a front sidewall tear enough to get me back to the car without ever noticing it... And it's been working steadily on the punctures in the rear since the tire was mounted in March- before Vision Quest.

15. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Good stuff! While swapping tires on Saturday I noticed mine has turned a pretty shade of blue. I will get a pic next time.

16. Poofighter

Poofighter Well-Known Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Thanks once again for the update. I decided to give a go as well, so hopefully I have similar results.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I too have noticed that the Finish Line sealant holds air better than the Stans. I generally have to add 10+ pounds of air in the Stans wheelset than the Finishline wheelset. May 2-3 lbs to the the Finishline wheels.