Best tubeless sealant

Discussion in 'Sealant' started by Tom the Bomb, Apr 22, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That is because for years we have told people not to use Slime in their tires.

Stan’s sells heather it works or not....it has become the new Kleenex/Super Glue/Zip Ties.....

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I invented Post-Its.

Luis, herzalot, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I've had mixed success with different tires and sealants.
    Conti XKing & Mountain King: Orange Seal seeped through the sidewalls, burped almost immediately and tires deformed. Nasty residue.
    Conti Trail King & Mountain King: Conti's Revo sealant worked great for a year. Tried Stan's, ruined tires.
    Vittoria Randonnuer II: (Wire bead non tubeless road tires on Arch EX rims) Conti Revo sealant gave no issues. 3-6 month intervals. Got a nasty sidewall tear on Redlands Strada Rossa, and the tire stayed on the rim. By the time I got to the aid station, I was down to less than 10 PSI, but it was staying on the rim and not hissing. Pumped it up to 72 psi and had no issues for the rest of the day. Put in Stan's a couple of weeks later, and it ate through both sidewalls.
    Kenda Honey Badgers: Stan's new formula. No issues, no Stanimals. 3-6 month intervals
    Spec Captain & Chunder: Stan's new formula. No issues, no Stanimals, 3-6 month intervals
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf: Stan's, no issues, no Stanimals, but seems to dry up within 2-4 months.
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron: Stan's, giant sidewall tear first ride. (User error. First Singlespeed ride, got carried away with newfound lightness of no RD, no cassette, & a sub 500 gram tire and started jumping street features. Clydesdale + fragile XC tire + sideways landings = dead tire. Put a Park Boot in, superglued the tear, and ran it with a tube for months after.
    Hutchinson Override: Hutch Protect'air sealant no issues, but I have zero miles on them. :( (Got to put the road bike back together.)
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph: Bontrager sealant. (Similar in appearance to the Finish Line.) No issus, but fewer than 100 miles so far.

Nonscientifc conclusions: (Possibly applicable to only me and my experience thus far.)
    -Orange Seal is probably better than old Stan's. A lot of folks swear by it and say no other sealants work. Watching it eat through tires and dealing with the catpiss smelling gumwad residue makes me not love it.
    -Stan's works great in tires that call for Stan's. (Spec said Stan's was okay, Schwalbe's house brand is just rebranded Stan's IIRC)
    -Conti Revo is possibly the gentlest sealant, but it still works. A good starting point if you're doing something dumb like trying to run non TLR tires tubeless.
    -Stanimals are something I only hear Orange Seal fans complaining about, (Older Stan's formula maybe? Maybe there is a particular brand of tire that makes Stanimals. I have yet to try Maxxis with Stan's.)
    -If a tire company has their own sealant, try that first. At the very least, you might not void the warranty.
    -Don't run sub 500 gram tires and ride like an ******* while being fat.

All that being said, I will eventually try TruckerCo, Finish Line, and Slime, (Which is not the same thing as the stuff everyone tells you not to put in your tubes.)

4. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    I use STANS and have zero problems. Every time I’ve tried something else I’ve had problems. Including tape. I just stay on top of it and add fluid once or every other month.

Nothing will seal a 1/4” cut. Bring plugs.

For what it’s worth, stay away from gorilla tape. Works okay until it doesn’t then it’s a crazy pain in the butt. I had to cut two tires off after it bonded to the beads. Strong yes but too strong for removal.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You don’t get Stanimals with the new Stan’s any more because it dries up to fast.

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:cautious::Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao Funny but true.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've used only Stan's since I turned tubeless. I refresh it 2-3 times a year (simply by removing a stem core and injecting 4 ounces per tire). It has sealed every single simple puncture I have ever had, but not torn casings. I carry tubes, duct tape, pre-cut milk carton pieces, electric tape, C02 injection, tube-patch kits, and a super-bitchy attitude for dealing with torn casings. I have only ever torn 3 tires in nearly 20 years of riding.

I also carry a plug kit for hard-to-stop- tubeless punctures, which I have yet to use.

No complaints. BEATS THE HELL OUT OF GETTING FLATS AND PATCHING OR REPLACING TUBES DUE TO SIMPLE PUNCTURES.

What do I win? :D

OTHRider, Faust29, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I never even knew tire companies had their own sealants ... I looked up mine and sure enough e*thirteen has Tire Plasma ....

https://bythehive.com/products/tubeless-sealant

I have no idea how well it works, or if it is currently in my tires ... but no leaks whatsoever in 4 months. I may give it a try if I stick with the e*thirteen tires.

9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I was fixing a broken spoke on my rear wheel and noticed that the Finish Line Sealant turned blue. Interesting, wonder why that is so.32F6B08B-DD2B-4022-A1AE-7C8260B59CC5.jpeg

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Curious. How old is the sealant and other than i turning blue does it appear to be breaking down?

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't take pictures, but that is exactly what I saw... It turns into a bright blue jelly. I do like the way it coats the tire, and doesn't pool as a liquid at the bottom. I have to think that it is in a better position and consistency to seal a puncture. Time will tell...

@UPSed - The first time I used it, I pulled a tire apart after 3 days just to see. It had already morphed into the blue jelly form. One plus or minus depending on how you look at it... No more shaking the tire to listen for the liquid. This stuff is thicker and doesn't splash around.

12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Since I'm a weight weenie, does it weigh more than the Stans?? :rolleyes:

Faust29, mtnbikej, OTHRider and 2 others like this.
  13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Sounds like it would require routine cleaning of the inside so it doesn't build up too thick?

HBkites, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I was wondering what the recommended amount per tire is. I get stanimal build up, so carrying those around is a built in weight penalty! I just want to know how thi Finish Line stuff lasts vs. Stans, as I have to re-charge all our bikes (five) pretty regularly. They're in a un-insulated garage, so lot of temp changes which causes quick evaporation based on my data points.

Faust29, rossage and doublewide like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The consistency is a lot thicker than Stan's so ounce for ounce I'm guessing Finish Line weighs more.

I'm willing to drag around a few extra grams if it lives up to its claims.

16. JordanHMay

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Kinda wondering if the blue is from the tire casing. Could be eating away at the tire.

17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    It is a few weeks old and it seems to be the same consistency as when I put it in there. Its just blue now.

UPSed likes this.
  18. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    The 8 oz bottle weighs more than half a pound. They say 4 oz in each tire for 27.5 so that is a half pound in your tires.

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is --supposedly-- the advantage to this stuff. It doesn't dry up... It's supposed to last the life of the tire, but we shall see.

20. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  21. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    @Faust29 & @Danmtchl thanks for the updates. I know its too early to tell, but wonder if it will bleed thru like OTHriders pic.

Faust29, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think I may have had a puncture seal already with the Finish Line, but it happened too fast... Coming down the lower section of Trabuco during Vision Quest, I thought I heard the familiar "hissss", but it only lasted a fraction of a second and then it stopped.

Good question... I also had the wet spots when using both Stans and Orange Seal with certain tires. The Racing Ralph 2.35 that I ran on the front for an entire year was one big wet spot when it wore out. It didn't lose much air, but it definitely seeped. One thing that is holding true with the Finish Line is better air retention. I have only added air to the rear tire one time since a couple days before VQ and that was only a pound or two. With Orange Seal and Stans, I added a pound or two every ride. The front hasn't had FL as long, but it seems to be holding just as well.

23. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    According to the Finish Line rep at the Whiskey 30, one-time application without any refilling for the life of the tire!

24. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It would be interesting to see how it works..., my last front tire was on 2 years..

25. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    That’s what I’m hoping for. I just ordered some along with new tires. Stay tuned

26. JordanHMay

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    You guys are making a strong case for the new FL stuff. As I’m about to setup new wheels and tires maybe I’ll give it a go.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I almost forgot, but the Sutra has Mavic wheels, and Mavic has their own sealant. The sealant was included in the box with the wheelset. So, the Sutra has Mavic sealant. And neither front nor rear need air on a regular basis. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Luis and 2 others like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    So what you're saying is the Sutra with the Mavic wheels has Mavic sealant in the Mavic wheels? :gag:

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    In a roundabout, less than clear, muddled, possibly inebriated way, yes. :cool::eek:

30. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?