Berdoo Cyn explorationration

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by rossage, Feb 21, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Got some time off from my fair business and went out to check Berdoo Cyn. Berdoo Cyn Rd is a jeep trail that accesses Joshua tree NP from the southwest near Indio. It is easy to get to by taking Dillon Rd from I 10, relative North (left). 6 miles up the road look for the bullet riddled signs for Berdoo Cyn.
    The shotgun blasted stop sign sits across the road from a memorial to "Anthony", a six year old boy who was kidnapped, murdered, and dumped somewhere in the canyon. An ominous sign.
    The road is paved, and pothole for the first few miles. About a mile in, people have taken to using the eroded canyon walls for target practice.
    On a large scale...There were at least 5 vehicles at numerous spots, shooting away at ad-hoc targets, frying pans, and posters of zombies and bin laden. The display of firearms was impressive, and so were the piles of shotgun shells and beer cans. Ominous, indeed.
    Now I know many people would have turned back at this point, but I am not easily deterred, so like a Marine in a bleak Afghan valley, onward I went. I parked my van about 2 miles in when the road conditions worsened.
    I would say the road was decomposed asphalt up until you pass the mine ruins at mile 4. The shooting galleries, graffiti and dumping stop about there too. The road then turns into a typical desert jeep trail.
    Mostly 2wd, with high-clearance necessary. There are a couple of spots where 4wd and some common sense would be nice.
    Sandy spots were short or avoidable but overall, the road became smoother but sander as I climbed.
    And climb I did. From my van, I went 8 miles up at an average grade of about 6%, never a respite from the grind. Quite typical for desert canyon riding.
    Rock exposures and scenery were well worth the questionable start.
    At mile 8, just where the Joshua trees were growing, I turned around.
    I had time commitments and promises to keep.
    As I was coming up the road I was.passed by several jeeps heading in either direction. Just before I turned around, a Subaru came by heading down. He was about a mile from one of the 4wd sections, but he must not have seen my wave, or ignored it, and kept on driving....see the pics where he high-sided. I tried to help, but there's not much I could do. He had street tires and his 4wd was broken so he was up Sh!t creek. He had food, water, and an mtb in the back if he needed to self-extract. I wished him luck and went on my way downhill.
    The downhill was a screamer! Rocks, drops, sand, gravel....you get it all. And you don't have to pedal. Just drop your seat and haul ass!
    Despite the unsettling lower section, I would recommend this ride. It would be a great way to get into or out of J-Tree NP via Geology Tour Rd.
    Subaru guy told me he rode his mtb on Geology Tour Rd and that it was in great shape and only sandy on the edges.
    There are numerous places to camp on high ground above the wash but there is little to no shade. Water would have to be carried or cached as the spring are unreliable and possibly contaminated by mining wastes.
    Who's up for a bikepacking trip?

Welcome to Berdoo Cyn!

2017-02-21 15.04.04.jpg

Anthony's memorial

2017-02-21 15.04.30.jpg

Shooters. Poor quality as they didn't want their pic taken.

2017-02-21 15.12.55.jpg

The start of the good stuff

2017-02-21 15.05.52.jpg

2017-02-21 15.06.23.jpg
    Sigmoidal folds in the rock
    2017-02-21 15.08.09.jpg

Crux 4wd spot. Worse than it looks!

2017-02-21 15.10.45.jpg

Turn around spot
    2017-02-21 15.11.16.jpg

2017-02-21 15.11.46.jpg

Subaru guy's high-side. I hope he made it out ok.

2017-02-21 15.12.07.jpg

2017-02-21 15.07.44.jpg

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    Outstanding. I would be into a day ride on up to Park Blvd x Geology Tour Road and back. No idea how many miles that would be but I like that type of terrain.
    Joshua Trees are the coolest trees on the planet!

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Rrrrrawsome! Way to maximize time; TFPU the shots :thumbsup:

Bikepacking, you know it. Berdoo is the connector between PCE and SART. I'd love to take a week and finish what I started: Hemet-Idy-Ramona-Sawmill-PCE-Berdoo-JT-Pioneertown-Wildhorse-SART. I know yer into it... :sneaky:

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I will post the gps fIle when I get to a real computer. This was all done on smartphone. That's why te title is jacked up. If you thought it was clever and witty, umm, yeah, I did it on purpose!

Total for the day was 17 miles and 2700 ft climbing.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    What a day! As always, thanks for sharing your little known adventures off the grid. :thumbsup:

Anthony's memorial is hard to look at...

6. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Top ride report! Thanks for sharing!

Bluesrider, hill^billy and rossage like this.
  7. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Thats crazy that a Forester couldnt make it down, I've seen an Outback do it, although it ended up with a few scratches and gouges on the bottom of quarter panels.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    You are a sick man... o_O

And I mean that in the kindest possible way! :thumbsup:

Bluesrider, mike and hill^billy like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    When he came by me, he was moving pretty fast, like he was some kind of rally racer. That section comes up fast...Doh!

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    I plan on gettin' me a Forester one of these years. Now I know where not to take it. ;)

hill^billy and Luis like this.
  11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Thanks for that Rossage! Perfect timing. I just may do Berdoo in 3 weeks, and the Flag Mountain exploration ride I need to finish. I'm hoping someone might be interested?

Bluesrider likes this.
  12. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Didn't they make a movie about places like that?
    The hills have eyes...

Bluesrider and hill^billy like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Deliverance meets American sniper.

Bluesrider likes this.
  14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah