Behind JPL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tedroy, Dec 16, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tedroy

Tedroy Member

Name:
    Ted Knecht
    Current Bike:
    2015 Turner Flux LG
    So I took my dogs on a ride up the Gabrielino Trail. Got about 1.5 miles up into the single track when we encountered a man jogging with his dog. He was very upset, and told me that two men were fighting at the next campground. Apparently one guy was very large and was wailing on the smaller guy. Lots of blood was observed. We tried to get a cell phone call to the cops but no bars in the canyon. Tried further down but no contact. It's not right that Sh!t like this is happening in the woods. Is society breaking down?

Mikie and rossage like this.
  2. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Last time I rode there there were some folks at the campground that seemed pretty shady, transient or homeless types. I pedaled past as fast as I could. It does suck to have these problems in our forests. I hope the little feller escaped with his life :eek:.

Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have seen a dead body dropped at the Grizzly trailhead. Another time, the coroner's van parked and a photographer documenting another body behind a berm on the 2 Hwy.
    Welcome to our urban oasis! Be safe out there....

I ride that area frequently and I see homeless "campers" up there almost every time I ride there. Must suck to be in that situation but I'd rather camp there than Skid Row or under the 101.

rojomas, Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  4. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So you guys are starting to scare me. I've seen one homeless/transient guy in the trail in my neighborhood (Verdugos/Edison) a while back. No issues though afaict (at least no blood!).

But I read this article a few months ago that scared me: http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/deaths.html

There was supposedly a serial killer that would dump bodies in SG mountains decades ago. Don't recall the name but it wasn't Manson.

Recently I've been carrying pepper spray and a tactical Gerber knife for protection from animals (but perhaps the humans are more dangerous!)

5. verdugist

verdugist Guest

This in particular is messed up. The Grizzly TH is near the Mt Lukens Fire Rd climb I think??? So maybe i've been there but not actually rode that down. Did you call the police? AT&T has no signal in that Mt Lukens Trail (another reason I don't go there very often).

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Great, here we go again. Another thing for you to be paranoid of out on the trail.

Stop thinking about it and just go ride your bike.

ridinrox, Faust29, LLPoolJ and 2 others like this.
  7. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I'm going to agree with you (and I'm doing a group ride tonite btw). But I didn't start this thread so don't blame me. I didn't see any strange things in the trails in Trabuco Cyn area when I lived in Lake Forest. Never worried about this kind of stuff there at least. Better not to worry about it or stay away from trails near campgrounds (which we don't have in Verdugos or Cherry Canyon).

8. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    il_570xN.708429134_h558.jpg

ridinrox, Danimal, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  9. Tedroy

Tedroy Member

Name:
    Ted Knecht
    Current Bike:
    2015 Turner Flux LG
    I love the way the fear escalated in this thread. Chill America. I go up there every Sunday and it's all good. It's more horses and hikers than bikers and brawlers. We all need to stop being such freaked out morons. Stop listening to right wing radio and Fox News TV bullshit.

Oaken likes this.
  10. Tedroy

Tedroy Member

Name:
    Ted Knecht
    Current Bike:
    2015 Turner Flux LG
    It's weekends on Brown and El-P that freak me out. The traffic is too heavy on our only lower mountain single track.
    I would encourage leaving this area alone for a while. Hopefully El Nino will wipe out these trails for a while and allow the area to recover (like the Station fire did).
    The breaking bumps are so bad. Downhillers treat the trail like a moto course. I hope you all find a cliff.
    I can understand the surfers and their Locals Only mentality. Out-of-towners have ruined our local stash.

Erik H likes this.
  11. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    It's the damn internet! Ruined everything! Hahah.. Get off my lawn!

I'm also a big fan of weekday rides. Weekends are crazy.

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    This type of thing has been happening since the beginning of time. Nothing new about it. They're will always be a few bad people inhabiting this world. Go enjoy your day and be vigilant.

ridinrox likes this.
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Sh*t happens, I try not to live my life in fear that's exacerbated by the medias unrelenting assault on anything that is negative in the world.

Believe it or not, there is a lot of good in people, but the bad gets all the attention.
    That is why iMtbTrails is such a nice place to be. Positive people with a positive spin on a hobby/lifestyle I cherish

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?