Bear spray for cougar incident...

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Faust29, Oct 21, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd really have to check my shorts before returning to civilization after that...

abuck55, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  2. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Bet he was glad he was not wearing headphones and listening to music.

Dean

3. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I almost bought a can of that the other day but the canister was a little big to strap to my bars, and not so much for Cougars but for unleased dogs and any freak humans or zombies.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Maybe this is a dumb question... Why don't I ever hear of mountain bikers carrying it? Is it due to the infrequency of sightings around here?

5. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Doug carries Bear spray and I do to when I'm in the mtns.

Mikie, GregMiester and Faust29 like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Wouldn't one welcome any cougar incident?

MCB2K, doublewide, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Because it's just not cool!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    So I just saw two cougars up ahead... I'm gonna go check it out... Said no one ever, oh wait, this bozo just did.

9. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    Chanel no. 5 works on Cougars.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I read somewhere there are an estimated 25 mountain lions in the Santa Anas. ALL of the Santa Anas, from Pendleton north to Anaheim Hills Chances of getting attacked are purty low. But I'lll admit, riding up Blackstar in the misty morning light before the sun is up can be spooky.

Almost...ALMOST, mind you...tempted to pack the magnum. But it's too dang heavy.

Mikie, mike and GregMiester like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What a dumbfuk. How about slowly backing out and going the other way? No, trot blithely like a deer on ahead because you're fascinated and really want to see one. Stay in a car, cidiot, before you get hurt.

Probably, but people are sighted by cats way more than the reverse. Unlikelihood of aggressive behavior is a reason to skip the weaponry. Plus, try accurately spritzing a cat with its teeth clamped on your neck and see how that works out. I'll stick with a hail-Mary thumb in the eye. But mostly, I'll just do my best to not appear like lion prey during the time they're most likely to feed. My bear spray gets toted in griz country, nowhere else.

BonsaiNut, knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Zombies..... definitely for Zombies.

I raced ahead once to check out a couple of cougars...;)

Oh Greggie, we have to ride some time soon together...ha ha hah hah haaah!

Did they say that Dr. Mark Boyce was a Gynecologist, a resident expert?

GregMiester, ridinrox, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    about 15 yrs ago when riding down trabuco creek went around a corner and saw a cougar in the trail maybe 80 ft away. I stopped, it looked at me and just casually walked into the bushes. First reaction was to go check it out, but after about 5 steps thought WTF??, get the heck out of there! So backed out and went on my merry way happy I actually saw it.

Lucky man, if he'd had the cone of silence ( iPod) on the story would be different.

14. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Oh, I thought this was a thread about the Fox Fire. My bad...

jaime, Mikie and abuck55 like this.
  15. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Ok, I didn't start this thread so hopefully I won't get in trouble. They say the probability of seeing a mountain lion is very low. This probability increases the more often you venture into the woods in California. I have seen one but I'm not going to go into details. Let's just say they don't like it when you run at them, esp. if they are surprised from behind. But their behavior is unpredictable. I carry a Gerber tactical knife but it is more of a psychological help. I also keep a referee whistle.

I recently contacted a NPS biologist in my area who has worked with jaguars, cougars, bears and tigers. There are remote cameras setup where I bike. Supposedly there is only one lion (P-41) in the 18 sq mile area. There are no recent bear sightings but they have been there in the past. I'm pretty sure OC has a similar assortment/diversity of apex predators.

If there are grizzly bears in the area, don't go there. The caretakers at the Big Bear Zoo don't go in the grizzly area/cage but they go in the timber wolves, cougars, etc. Mtn lions and black bears seem to be less of a threat (unless you find a mother who will protect the cubs). They typically attack when if they are old, young, sick or hungry.

The cougar book I read recommended carrying a fixed blade knife and/or bear spray. Other advice is don't go alone (which is what I typically do).

Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  16. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Kind of a coincidence seeing this post today. Earlier I got a text about a friend who spotted a mountain lion on Saturday, in the north end of the Santa Anas.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  17. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    From what I understand, there haven't been any grizzlys in So Cal since the early 20th century
    And as for cougars, just because you don't see them that doesn't mean they don't see you. That's what they do. They lie in wait.

Mikie, BonsaiNut and ridinrox like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You are correct... And it happened in one of our favorite riding areas.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/national-297777-grizzly-bear.html

Mikie and rojomas like this.
  19. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    When you get to be my age, Cougars just aren't that interesting anymore. :eek:

Now, back in my twenties.... HEEELLLLLLOOOO Mrs. Robinson. :inlove:

20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Quick clarification. There haven't been any grizzlies in the STATE since 1924...

Mikie and rojomas like this.
  21. verdugist

verdugist Guest

You are correct on both counts. But I don't want to get in trouble. So I am not going to pursue this topic any further.

Mikie likes this.
  22. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Strictly speaking, this is not true. I saw 3 grizzly bears at the Big Bear Zoo with my son as a witness of seeing one of the bears drinking/licking the urine of the other one. Animal behavior!

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  23. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Those are black bears not grizzly bears.
    bearcompare.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    The more I watch this video, the more I am convinced we were about to witness a Darwin award...

Tard does everything you're supposed to NOT do around a wild cat, videos it, and then bear sprays the cat when it behaves naturally. I feel like bear spraying HIM and see how he likes it.

ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  25. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Rojomas,
    incorrect they are grizzlies
    Tutu
    Ayla and Harley

Mikie, rojomas and verdugist like this.
  26. verdugist

verdugist Guest

http://bigbearzoo.org/grizzlie-bears/

yep, and my older son and I witnessed the magnificent urine drinking episode.

they do not enter the grizzly cage, I noticed and asked. they enter the wolves, black bears and cougar.

Mikie likes this.
  27. verdugist

verdugist Guest

How was he so perfectly ready to spray that animal? He must have been running with it in hand?? I agree, if it doesn't attack don't spray but it can be intimidating...

Mikie likes this.
  28. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Ah, yes. At first I only saw mention of the black bears on the Big Bear Zoo site. Any idea where they came from? It only says they had to be relocated 3 times for breaking into a bakery (that's so Yogi bear) and bluff charging people.

29. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    I'm not exactly sure where the grizzlies came from, Mommy and Daddy grizzlies most likely. :geek: Like most of the rest of the animals there either they were injured or relocated to the BB Zoo. As far as I can remember most of the animals there lived in similar climates to BB, but are not necessarily from the valley.

Mikie likes this.
  30. verdugist

verdugist Guest

That's interesting. So they break into food shops (dork level style) and then pee on each other (bizarre fantasy let it go style). All I know is grizzly bears will attack, mtn lions not usually. If you run at a grizzly bear, it's not going to get Sh!t level scared like a mtn lion and run away.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?