BB height and pedal strikes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scan, Jul 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I doubt anyone will ever completely master pedal strikes. I am in the same boat, I ride more cautiously and watch closely for what is ahead. :eek:

The pedal strike thing just slows us down, IMO, but that's not actually such a bad thing because it means that for the most part, we are concerned more for our safety than for our strava times through that pedal strikey section. :rolleyes:

2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Actually, it's not science. If it was science it would be a repeatable test removing all other variables. Basic math says a lower BB equals more pedal strikes. But as you should be changing your technique to accommodate, it isn't repeatable. I know I choose different lines if I am on my CX bike vs my Enduro.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Today is supposed to be the day of the beginning of recovery. I do feel a lot better. Looks like I’m going to need knee surgery as I think I retore my meniscus. That is an easy surgery so of little concern.

4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better Mikie! The body's ability to heal is truly a miracle when you think about it. The man upstairs was watching out for you and he still is. Too many things fell into place after your crash to be just chance. Thoughts and prayers.

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The bottom bracket height on my Troy is 13.3 inches and like others I have notice a lot of pedal strikes. Like Mikie, I try to be aware of what is in front of me and try keep the pedals level.

On my Kona, I put a 150mm fork on a frame that calls for a 120mm fork. So I essentially raised the BB and have not had any pedal strikes on it since I have built it up in October.

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Everybody here knows I’m a firm believer in the man upstairs, and you are right, there was way too much perfection in how the event unfolded. I’m thankful and praise God!

7. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    You’re one positive mo fo Mikie!

8. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Right on! I’ve had many crashes and close call where I KNEW it could have been much worse! I have the perfect riding friend ;):inlove:

9. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I wonder if I can do similar to my SC 5010?!

10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Amen brothah:thumbsup:

11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I was thinking of increasing the fork travel on my Remedy from 140 to 150mm for a lil boost in height. Add in some 29er wheels (it's a 650b bike) and I'm up there in the clouds somewhere. ;)

mike, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    It hasn’t been a problem for me riding in OC, but last week in Colorado I was striking constantly.

mike, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  14. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    mike, Faust29, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I think about them on thin exposed trails, don't want to be hugging the inside and then drop a pedal a get ejected over the edge.

I also am conscious in root rocks etc where I can. There are a couple spots on my regular ride where I have a full rhythm for cleaning

mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Pike or Fox 34. Standard fare. Both are good. Pike is a little burlier. I would say Marzocchi 350, because that was the best air fork I've ever ridden, but sadly, they don't exist anymore.

Anybody here wanna loan Sara a spare Pike 150 to try? I have a spare DVO Diamond, but it's 160 - and that would be way over-forking the SOLO (oops, I mean 5010).

PS - if your fork is currently 130, I would try 140mm first. The steering will get lighter, and you may not like going 20 mm.

PSS - I've been a fan of overforking bikes since my first Yeti 575. 5.75" travel in back, but came with 140mm in front. I went to a Fox 36, then a Marzocchi 55 - both at 160mm and the bike handled great. My Knolly Endorphin was 140 rear, 160 front. However, I am tall and can put a lot of downward pressure on my stem while climbing to keep the front end from wandering.

20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Good idea on a gradual bump up as I still feel a little clumsier climbing with this bike compared to my old bike. Maybe I can lock out the FS on longer climbs?
    I’ll look at both of those forks now!
    Thanks Chris.

Tom the Bomb, kioti, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Sara I don’t know what fork is on your bike but a 10-20 mm increase can usually be achieved by just an air shaft change. It’s like a $35 part and takes a little know how to change. Call Fadi and find out.

I agree with @herzalot that a 20mm change may be a bit much.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Locking out the fork for climbing is only an advantage on pavement, or out of the saddle sprints. A little sag on that fork will help it track the ground better and keep your head angle manageable. So not really an essential feature, if you ask me. And you didn't. But I chimed in anyway.

mike, Tom the Bomb, kioti and 6 others like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Chime away Chris, sometimes I feel like a newbie even though I’ve been riding for over 10 yrs..kind of embarrassing :oops:

mike, kioti, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’ll contact our Fadi manana! Thanks Tom:thumbsup:

mike, kioti, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world...As in, a low bottom bracket will eventually result in a pedal strikes.

Nice to see us trying to get our Varaxis on... :Roflmao

rossage, mike, SnakeCharmer and 11 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @doublewide Bottom bracket height is very subjective and not measurable. It is an emotional, gut feeling and a very personal relationship between your perception of height and your philosophy of "what is ground?" It is what you perceive it to be, completely existential and not scientifically...

...wait, oh shoot, I think I am talking about clothing choices. My bad. Carry on.

mike, Faust29, kioti and 8 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Not bashing anyone here but I think we are just using the wrong terminology...
    A Theory is just that, a theory. Adding the word “Scientific” in front of it does not make it more valid. A theory is nothing more than a guess. A scientific theory is nothing more that a scientific guess based on science that “potentially” could lead to a conclusion.

I don’t think that phrase relates to the subject. I “think” what you were trying to say was “Mathematically” a Lower bottom bracket will result in a higher probability of Pedal Strike. Which I totally agree with.

@mountaingirl sara , I would be cautious in changing the geometry of your bike. As much as I love my Hightower and wish the bottom bracket was higher... it is what it is. I’m not going to blame my crash for example on the geometry of my new bike. I’m going to learn from it, adapt, and then go hammer differently.

Like a lot of guys here have stated, it’s one of those things you now take in to account for and develop ride skills around.

When I started riding the Hightower, I was locking out my rear shock to reduce the fluffy climbing aspect (which raised my B.B. height due to less sag), then I got used to the fluff, and now I’m back to locking it out. That will help with a lower B.B. on the climbs. I try to keep the fork light and drive through the rear wheel. I agree with @herzalot that locking your fork is great for road climbs, and I do lock mine out on road climbs.

I say, grow with the bikes geometry. Adjust saddle position and handlebar height and distance to grab more climbing capability.

I was watching Cathy climb the other day and realized I had her seat waaaayy too far back. She was pedaling from behind. After moving it forward she said it made all the difference! She didn’t know what she didn’t know. She relies on me to know this stuff.

I hope this helps!

herzalot, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    4:30am, I’m guessing you couldn’t sleep?
    Wonderful deduction, my dear Watson! You have a talant for putting thoughts to paper.
    I still may try more travel on the front end, but will move up slowly. And a good bike fitting would be wise as well.:thumbsup:
    Hope you’re feeling better today Mikie:)

Faust29, Tom the Bomb, kioti and 3 others like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Funny the Low Bottom brackets are taking a beatin because of pedal strikes but nobody's complaining about them when they're railing through a turn or railing through a turn on a steep downhill and feeling connected and low not high and ready to be a ejected OTB.

mike, Danmtchl, doublewide and 8 others like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I wonder if they are too low? Especially with droppers, maybe they could go up a smidgen?

bvader, mike, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?