Bass Lake?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, Jun 9, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I'll most likley be there in a couple of weeks. Wondering if anyone here has ridden the 007 trail at Bass Lake, and what you might have though about it?

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    I used to wakeboard up there every summer. Never did MTB the place tho. Have fun!

Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  3. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    I rode 007 a few years ago. It's pretty fun. Definitely worth it if you have your bike.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've been to Bass Lake many times but never could go find 007. I know it crosses Central Camp a few times, but that's it.

I've done a lot of road biking up there. :sneaky:

Sigh. One of these days.

5. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    You've probably been there and back already but I've ridden it a few times. Great out and back trail and climbable, even for me! Forgot how long it is but it's long enough to be worthwhile!

hill^billy likes this.
  6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I just rode it last weekend. It was pretty beat up from winter storms and part of it had just been worked on with mini excavator so was really loose. And part of it was recently burned with a nice touch of pink fire retardant. It definitely wasn't as good as I was expecting. I rode the whole 7-8 miles and the upper sections had a surprising amount of climbing and hike a bike. So it must just be the lower 3-4 miles that most people ride.

I also rode up to Shuteye Peak and did a loop using moto trails that include some pretty cool granite sections. It had some tough eroded descending and difficult route finding on the open granite.

7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

IMG_3351.JPG The bike shop owner I talked to had said 007 was the most popular trail out there, he also said the lake hadn't gone down very much from the drought, then I talked with others who live there and they said it was about a mud hole!
    I on the other hand rode the Lewis trail which I thought was awesomely beautiful! This trail follows the Lewis creek and the volume of water was running high! I first road and hiked my bike up to the Corlieu Falls (got alot of what the hell are you doing here with that bike looks), it was spectacular site! There are 4 waterfalls in this pic. If you look close you can see a guy enjoying one of the pools below the upper water fall. Riding on this trail and listening to the raging creek made me realize I was a lucky indiviual at the time! I also had to cross a downed tree accross the creek with a rope that was not very taught, and with mtb shoes took alot of concentration!
    This area has some really good trails including one through the Sequoias, I did not do that trail but I know I will be going back!
    It surprises me to not have heard anyone really talking about this place that is not very far away?
    One thing that was very disturbing was the Sierras have been, and are being devistated by the bark beetle, our epic drough has made the trees much more vulnerable, I was shocked to see what seemed to me, to be 50% of the tress are dead!
    I have vid of this beautiful trail but it doesn't do it justice, I'll post it when I get the chance.

scan, Maddog and Runs with Scissors like this.
  8. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Anyone have more intel on the Bass Lake area and trails?

9. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    My family rents a house on the lake most every summer and I bring my mtb. We stay in Wishon Cove near Miller’s Landing. I ride a ST trail to Goat mtn lookout, then a jump in the lake after the descent:thumbsup: it’s not big ride, but it’s worth it IMO.
    Edit- there’s a LBS in Mariposa that may have more ideas on ST trails, that’s how I found out about this one

9BB1B45C-12B6-4B32-9106-B2CC3F01D576.jpeg

Mikie, mtnbikej and hill^billy like this.
  10. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Thanks. Trailforks shows some very fun and promising trails in the area. Would be staying just south in North Fork.

@evdog got any intel on the goods up there?

Mikie likes this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Someone called? :laugh:

I've been through there a few times. As mentioned above I've ridden 007 which is the best known trail. The upper part was moto trail with lots of steep up/down. Some was nice, some sucked. The lower part was in bad shape and kinda sucked. Get current trail conditions before riding it.

Aside from that I've ridden a couple trails and explored a lot of dirt roads. One was Graveyard of the Giants at Nelder Grove. It's shown as hike primary on Trailforks but is open to bikes. Only 4mi long so not a huge ride, but is decent if you do an out and back. There's a campground on the east end that is pretty nice. Lots of big trees.

A few years ago I did a ride called the Shuteye Peak loop. From Central Camp climb up the Shuteye Peak fire road #6S59 to the fire lookout. Off the road a little ways below it there is a moto trail that heads downhill to the west (Skyfall on TF). It was steep, loose and gnarly. Gnarly in a way that isn't a ton of fun to ride. Some open granite, then more gnarly trail. Mostly moto usage. After riding along an old doubletrack, turn off onto Blind Squirrel. If you follow jeep/moto tracks you will end up too low and won't get the goods. Bushwack over to the north a little to a granite dome and then follow it staying up high. There isn't an obvious trail over there. You can follow the granite formation west quite far if you stay high. To continue the trail you have to get off and hike around a couple spots. After those the route drops down lower and then turns back south/east (it is easy to keep going past this spot but you'll need to backtrack). That part can also be hard to follow. Cairns were minimal. If you're too low or too high you can get stuck. Eventually you'll ride into trees before emerging on another granite area. That one will drop you onto Browns Creek which is a double track. Just east of that spot is a moto singletrack that drops down. I don't know where it goes. There are many other forest roads to the east and a lot of moto singletrack in the area that is signed. But I've not been able to find a map of it.

Not right in Bass Lake but if you want a full day ride check out this route over by El Portal (article contains link). https://blog.sfgate.com/bicycle/2018/02/13/yosemite-by-bike-on-a-secret-car-free-road/ I did that ride this summer, but dropped down the old Foresta grade from Foresta to El Portal, which is going back to singletrack. There is also some trail on the north side of the river each side of Briceburg. And more stuff on the south side back toward El Portal (Hite Cove) but it is under fire closure until Dec 2020.

Lots of other stuff to explore. Start with Trailforks and get a forest map. The ones Hillbilly explored look cool as well but I haven't had time for those yet.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?