Barbara Bites back!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yes, back to Santa Barbara. I had such a fun time out there last week and with the low temps compared to the Inland Valley it was a no brainer. Pulled in Thursday night about 11:15 to my bro’s house. The next morning we got up, suited up and arrived at the trail head about 9:30 . We get out of the car expecting a cool 63 for climbing and WTF! It was warm! Actually humid warm. I could not believe it was 63 ! I took off my longsleeve jersey and prepared to climb in my vented ss under garment. As we climbed Romero it actually was not all that bad until we rose above the clouds. The temp felt as though it rose another 10 degrees! Brother John was feeling guilty leaving his daughter with the Grandparents so he asked if it would be ok to just descend Romero? I said sure, just come back and get me when I am done! Not sure he expected that but oh well . I did not drive all the way out here to just do Romero. So off he goes and off I go looking for San Ysidro . I get to the trail sign and finally find a bit of shade. Stop and grab some food and then attack the dirt. The top 2/3rds of San Ysidro is fast and flowy singletrack then it abruptly turns to square chunk and rocks under the trees. I’m not sure what it is but this section of tech always gets me. I can never see a line. I pop out on the fireroad take a look at mtb prodject and decide to climb the Edison catway back up to the top to access upper McMenemy. Descend Upper, then Girard and then back up to Girard and to lower Mcmenemy and down to Old Pueblo and out. So I call my bro to confirm my plans and he says to go up Upper Mc to the fireroad and down Girard to lower and out El Pueblo. The reason being hitting Upper is a much better flow in that direction. Well that route was a flippin Bastard! My bro got this one way wrong. First the catway going this direction was frieken steep and loose! I walked half of it. When I started Upper, it was nice for about half a mile then it turned into a sufferfest, climb, hike a bike up over large boulder step ups and steep switch backs that were unridable all the way back up to the catway! The only good thing about this part was the clouds blew out and let the cool ocean breeze blow up through the canyon. Finally the temps I was looking for albeit 3 hours into the ride! I traverse back over to Girard where I run into a hiking couple I saw an hour and a half ago. I realize I may run out of water so they kindly offer up some of their cold water. Back to the sweetness. I descend Girard and lower Mcmenemy. Niiiiiiiice! Jump on Old Pueblo and come to the pavement and head down to what I thought would be over to Romero and done. Wait ! I don’t recognize this intersection! I was so pumped I was finishing I neglected to check Mtb projects gps and I missed another half mile of s/t to the road I was supposed to take to Romero. Shiat! I get some direction to confirm my gps from a local and up I go back to Old Pueblo to climb it again and connect back to the car!

Phew! What an adventure! This one really kicked my arse! Definitely will not do the figure 8 route on the bottom half my bro recommended. I will do it the way I had mapped it out . 27 miles 6.5 hrs. on the trail 5600 elev. with about 1.5 hrs of hike a bike! Well what can ya say, guess I was due for one of these!

TTb

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1474.jpg

2. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    That butterfly photo made my day, thanks master !

SnakeCharmer and Tom the Bomb like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    On my phone, that butterfly looks like a hang glider.

Tom the Bomb, LLPoolJ, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya cool that butterfly flew into the pic as I was taking it.

Mikie and jaime like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Strong work, Tom! TFPU! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  6. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Because you are @Tom the Bomb and all the living things on a bike ride want to hang out with you :thumbsup:

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    That's a Black Swallowtail. They've been hanging around in So Cal since the recent El Nino.

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    That's what I thought it was.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and rossage like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Rockin!
    Got to get over there and get me some of that!
    Thanks for the delivery Mr. Postman.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Holy hell - that's one impressive ride! Good on ya! :thumbsup: :cool:

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  11. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    When I click on the picture on my phone it is one of those half second vids . I can actually see the butterfly fly into the pic!