Autumnal Equinox Blackstar Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Rumpled, Sep 13, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 09-21-18
  1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Ride Name: Autumnal Equinox Blackstar Ride
    When: Friday, September 21st
    Time: 5:30
    Where: Xmas Tree Farm on Blackstar Canyon Rd
    Ride Description or Details:
    Continuing in my new old tradition of doing the solstice and equinox rides, let's ride for the autumnal equinox.
    The actual equinox is Saturday evening, but we'll celebrate on Friday night.
    Meet next to the tree farm with a go time of 5:30 by Garmin or Verizon.
    Let's make a goal of meeting at the top about 7:30. If you are faster or slower you can adjust your start time or even location (Skyline for the 909ers?)
    Sunset is at 6:49 pm and so we will most likely see the sunset on the way up and it will be dark by the time we get to Beek's.
    Lights will be needed.
    BYO libations for the top or the end back at the cars.
    ?'s - Ask away.
    Invite others, let's make it a party.

OC Parks is supposed to be working on the paved portion weekdays that week. Let's hope it doesn't impact this.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: Xmas Tree Farm on Blackstar Canyon Rd off of Silverado Canyon Road which is off of Santiago Canyon Road.
    Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
    Ride Pace: Social Cruise
    Type of Ride: Out and Back
    Rider Limit: Infinity minus one
    Anticipated Mileage: 18
    Elevation Gain: 2200
    Ride Duration: 3 hours
    Previous Ride Reports: https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/2018-summer-solstice-ride-to-beeks.7509/

https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/unofficial-almost-end-of-summer-blackstar-ride.6489/

Possible Bail-Outs: Turn around and go back, but you'll be missing out.
    Facilities: No water on trail. The world is our restroom.
    Food/water suggestions: Most get by on a bottle of water or so. Snacks if you want. Maybe a beer or two to toast at Beek's.
    Option to Upload:

18195146_10209328044059978_7016262408798486099_n.jpg

OTHRider, Grego, Cornholio and 9 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Sadly, I'm going to miss this one... :thumbsdown:

mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You'd have a shot at kitty litter redemption. :whistling:

Faust29, Rumpled and mike like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm gonna try to make this.

Rumpled and mike like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    We shall see

Rumpled and mike like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'll have to get drunk and ride somewhere up here in your honor this time. TFPU, Jim.

7. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    I'm going to miss this one, but I'll be sure to drink a beer at the appropriate time.

8. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    OC Public works is working only between 7am and 4pm Monday-Friday. You shouldn't have an issue. They have to close the road while they are working on it because they'll have heavy machinery breaking up the damage asphalt and replacing the stretch from the gate to 1-mile in (just past the first U-turn) with stabilized DG. It'll be fully accessible on the weekends and for night riding. If you do a "dawn patrol" and beat the crew out there, you may have to wait a bit so that you can pass safely.

Walking around active construction sites for part of a living, even when people know what they are doing and are careful, $%@! happens. Watched someone trip and fall into a 6-foot deep trench on the same day a backhoe sliced a tire and rolled onto its side while carrying a trench plate. Nobody was hurt, but paranoia rules when it happens even when all precautions are taken.

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Gonna try to make this! A year ago it was this:

night1.jpg
    night7.jpg

10. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    As I finally purchased a light, this seems like a good opportunity to test it... :whistling:

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    You don't really need a light - or at least it won't be a disaster if you don't have one. There is a lot of background illumination and Blackstar is a wide flat trail. We were just talking about this at the party and @mtnbikej doesn't even bring one. I found mine to be somewhat of a liability - even at low beam it would mess with my night vision.

I bought a cheap red LED camp headlamp at CostCo that I have strapped under my saddle and I have it pointed straight down at the ground. It provides just enough red glow so that someone biking behind me will know I am there without me blinding them.

When we did the Winter Solstice ride, it was pitch dark on the way up due to the short day length, and really windy. Even so @Faust29 and I did the climb in the complete dark and I didn't feel at all like I was going to ride off the trail. I might have gotten BLOWN off the trail, but that wasn't due to my lighting scheme :)

12. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Well, my procedure today was more extensive than I thought. Dr said I shouldn't mountain bike until the stitches come out in 2 weeks. Wouldn't want to tear it she said. I don't always think the same way as my Drs. We'll see in a couple of days.

20180917_175122.jpg

herzalot, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 9 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    She doesn't get that we can use intoxicants and mountain bike safely? Doomsday scenarios...pff. Change the bandage often and don't worry about sweating. I've got one coming up Oct 1st. I'll pound one then ride on it in honor of your event, and to your full recuperation.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Wait, wut? You aren't going to be there? :(

Rumpled, Old&InTheWay and mtnbikej like this.
  15. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    I'll show up no matter what. Riding might be out. I'll be able to post a grphic pic tomorrow. Forgot to get a pic before the bandaging.

16. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I will most likely make this one :cool:

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Or...
    Just use Duct Tape like @mike does...:eek:

Uhhhhh and please disregard the red brazier brigade unless you want to read this ride report. ha hah! Man! The funny chit we do!!! https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/p-c-e-bomb-squad-run-the-mini-tour.5411/#post-70668

dscf1025-jpg.22835.jpg

rossage, herzalot, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  18. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    I've got no qualms about using duct tape in the field, but this was done by a doc.

Changed dressing today. It's about 2 1/4" with 13 large stitches. Wifey didn't freak out about me riding Friday, so odds are going up.

Probably mostly too late for most of us, but have your kids use sunscreen.

Don't look down if you don't want to see the seamstress' work.

20180918_203909.jpg

mike, herzalot, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  19. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Against Dr's wishes; I AM RIDING TONITE!!

Hope to see you out there.

Weather looks nice, from NWS for Beek's

This Afternoon
    Sunny, with a high near 81. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
    Tonight
    Mostly clear, with a low around 67. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Tom the Bomb, Oaken, mike and 6 others like this.
  20. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    My daughter and I will be there. '06 dark grey 4 x 4 Chevy Silverado. We may leave a bit early at 5:15 pm ish.

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll be there. Currently debating whether to take the XTC or the Sutra.

22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    @Stkx66 Hey Steve - fun to put a face to the name! I was the guy who caught up to you just before the gate on the way up... and we met up again right at the bottom - I was the guy who parked next to you. I was cheering your daughter on! Great to see her out there!

@Runs with Scissors Mark - were you really there? I missed getting to meet you!

Tom the Bomb, Stkx66, mike and 4 others like this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yeah, I was there....all by my lonesome at Beeks for something like 20 minutes while you laggards lollygagged yer way up the hill. o_O:p You must have ridden past and gone up to the golf ball.

Tom the Bomb, Stkx66, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    No the guy who went to the golfball was after me. I rode through and was laying down on the wall at the Beeks ruins all by my lonesome :) It was very peaceful watching the sunset through the pines. The wall was warm from the sun and my backpack made a great pillow! I was up there for a while by myself, but eventually a few others joined me. By the time we came down and joined the main group it had gotten dark.

If you were the first one up there, I think I was the second(?) I left with the main group at 5:30 and circled back a little bit because some people arrived late and I wanted to see if I knew anyone in the back group. It was a great night for a ride!

25. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Ah.. you were encouraging as you passed me. Swoosh... Who? Haha. You are a pedal monster!

26. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Courtney and I had a great night riding to Beek's. We left early because we knew we would be slow. My wife and I just came back from 2 weeks of goofing off ( spontaneous vacation ) where I ate plenty while celebrating 29 years of marriage. I only rode app. 25 miles the entire time on my mountain bike. I made sure tonight that we had at least one light per bike, but I will certainly make sure we have 2 lights per rider for these type of rides. One light was not enough. Thanks again for putting on this ride!

84542829-55F5-4636-B878-01A430932D60.jpeg
    My daughter before and after 1 year.

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Some photos. 5:30 at the Tree Farm. Jim and I got to talk about his arm surgery :)

fall1.jpg

Twilight at Beek's. Things starting to turn golden from the setting sun. Really nice!

fall2.jpg

fall3.jpg

Sunset. I love the pines at Beek's. I know the view is less obstructed at the trail intersection, but something about watching the sunset through the trees...

fall4.jpg

Darkness. I think this was right after @Stkx66 and his daughter headed down, which is why they aren't in the photo.

fall5.jpg

Perfect ride conditions. I was surprised to see some dudes riding UP the trail at about 8PM. Perfect night for it.

The trail is moderately torn up at the very bottom where they are removing the old pavement. Nothing you can't easily ride through, but a little loose in spots. By the way @Rumpled , last year we not only biked several weeks earlier (8/29), but my Garmin had us leaving the Tree Farm about 10 minutes earlier. I think we might have tried to leave at 5:15(?) I just know we had more sun last year.

I was hoping to see @Andy , @Grego , and maybe @mtnbikej on the ride. You guys missed out!

BeckTrex, Rumpled, Voodoo Tom and 8 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Looks like fun......unfortunately I was stuck in the garage building a new back wheel.

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great pix and reportage – TFPU! Nice recovery program, Jim :thumbsup:

30. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

I tried, really I tried... new light, new MTB footwear to try out...
    “family stuff” occurred...
    Glad you guys had a nice ride.
    Winter solstice ride?

Rumpled, mike, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?