AT with OTB and Some Dirt Bags

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    AT. The Acton Trail.

Proof: http://app.strava.com/activities/100395615

I don't know if it's because I have ridden it for over 20 years, or if it's because it's the best trail for many miles around, or it's because on a mega windy day it is rarely even blowing there, or even if it's because the wetter it gets the tackier the dirt. Maybe it's because it is the windiest, twistiest, technical singletrack that gives a rider the "Full Body" work out. Anyway you slice it, The AT may not be an Epic ride, but it is certainly one of Southern California's "Classic" MTB Singletracks. AND . . . it's only getting better.

How is that you ask? Enter Doug (aka hill^billy). I met Doug through STR and when he was PM'n me about this trail he had discovered out in Acton and the way he described it, it had a very familiar sound to it. Turns out, it was an old trail that my Race Team, Proflex Kooka Bell Western Regional Race Team used to train for Cross Country Mountain Bike Races back in the mid '90's.

Doug had been going out week after week and working on this trail, cutting back brush, taking a McCloud here and there. Well Doug's passion caught on and today there are several people that get out there and work on the trail. AT when complete will hit the summit of Mt. Gleason.

Today was a special day. For a couple years now Doug and I have been hitting people up to come out and ride the trail with us. UPSed finally broke it loose and asked a bunch of OTB'ers (Over the Bars Club Members) out to take the trail for a spin. I apologize for not remembering all their names, but I will add them as people help me out.

So, here is the coming out party of AT, the Acton Trail...

AT_w_OTB_14.jpg

AT_w_OTB_15.jpg

AT_w_OTB_16.jpg

AT_w_OTB_17.jpg

AT_w_OTB_18.jpg

AT_w_OTB_19.jpg

AT_w_OTB_20.jpg

AT_w_OTB_21.jpg

AT_w_OTB_22.jpg

AT_w_OTB_23.jpg

2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
  4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
  5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Well? Another great day at the Acton Trail. Everyone said there farewell's and went our temporarily separate ways. I feel sorry for those who don't take the time to come out and hit this bad boy. Everyone that comes out with us either loves it or hates it. If you love all singletrack, in some places tight and twisty, and others fast and furious, lots of exposure, at times very narrow trails, and a full body workout, you are going to fall in love with the Acton Trail...

I did!

Bike On!
    ~Mikie

AT_w_OTB_54.jpg

AT_w_OTB_55.jpg

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thanks for the report Mikie. Awesome ride today! Can't wait until it reaches the top!

Mikie likes this.
  7. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Thanks for the RR and kind words Mikie! There were a few more limbo limbs to cut after the downed tree and I used the hedge trimmer until the batteries died. After that I went crazy with the loppers clearing about 50 yds past the tree. I stopped there because the brush thickened dramatically turning into ideal BEAST habitat! If you can let it out sometime let me know! I have 3 weeks off starting the 20th.

Mikie likes this.
  8. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Mikie, I think you win on the ride report of the month, every month! I can't believe the death shoot looks like it could be a red carpet instead of a death chute. And that line Ron took is probably the most safe way.

Mikie likes this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Agreed. I saw that Mikie got a great picture of me but when I saw it it looked like I was just riding through some rocks.

Mikie likes this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    I'm a little currious as to how many rolled it for the first time without fail? It's not the hardest thing to ride, but it is intimidating. Always good for an adrenalin shot.

Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Okay FINE!!!! I think we should go up and ride that thing til we get the Death Chute PERFECT!!!! ;)

12. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Hike a bike! why? What is the mileage out and back now? Last year when I rode it with you guys there was no hike a bike.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Oh, yea of superhuman strength! :roll: There are two hike-a-bikes, even when you rode it last time. The first one is almost right out of the gate when you climb the Death Chute, and the other is right before the last saddle on the way back, before you drop down the Death Chute.

You were so jacked about the ride last ime you just forgot. (Or, you ride with John Tomac, Ned Overend, Tinker Juarez, or Flyin' Bryan Lopes, or.......)

14. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper
    Thanks for the report Mikie, lots of pics. Nice!
    Thanks to everyone that showed up and helped.

In a post over on STR Mikie wrote "...it looks to hit the PCT first, then hit Forrest Road 3N17. I think it's going to be about here: 34.380616,-118.156832..."
    You are correct sir! I remember that 4x4 mining road that pops up to the pavement just West of the burned out probation camp. It is still there but very steep and eroded. I always took the W. fork down by the mines that lead to the West side of Gleason which I believe is the approx. route the old AT took. Here is and old shot taken in the late-80's from the top of that West trail looking East with Gleason Peak on the right. Man it used to be beautiful up there, I miss it alot:
    11422128125_7c96cac1d1_b.jpg

I am not certain, but I think I remember remnants of the original trail in a gulch even more west of the above location. So there could be a couple of options.

Mikie likes this.
  15. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great ride report Mikie. Wish I could of stayed for the whole ride. Let's do it again soon.

Mikie likes this.
  16. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Picture time slot machine brought up the first time I officially rode with @Mikie, @MTBHotRod and @hill^billy. This was about 3 1/2 years ago :)
    The OTB crew consisted of @UPSed , @silvia , Hans, Hector, Ron, Travis, Brian, Martino, and myself.

Since then I've only gone back to ride Acton Trail 3 or 4 times. Need to get back up there to see how far up the trail goes now :geek:

Good times! :thumbsup:

MTBSKI, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Need to see if there still is a trail after the recent thunderstorms. Hey come to think of it I've never ridden AT with you Luis hint hint...

Faust29, Luis and Mikie like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Tomorrow morning perhaps? :whistling:

Mikie likes this.
  19. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Nope not tomorrow. Going to do trail work on the Gab from Switzers to Redbox

Voodoo Tom, Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I might check some of your work out on Monday after the Eclipse. Do a good job, I might be blind!