Article - Should wilderness parks be closed to visitors?

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by Andy, May 28, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    I'll take it that this was a proud "Den Bro" moment for you? Hey, wait a minute who let this Mikie character in here!?o_O He acts like he runs the place or something. :eek::p

Debates can be fun IF no one takes each others varying perspectives personally. :thumbsup: At the end of the day I think we're all on the same page anyways...:cool:

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I just had a discussion about those trails the other day. Growing up and starting my riding career in OC, this area and Whiting were my “go to” regular spots 20+ years ago on my favorite bike ever...my GT LTS. I was last back there on a Crank Bros group ride with Hans Rey in 2016. All I saw were dirt freeways with 12 bajillion hikers and/or runners. I don’t get the attraction to that place other than “it’s close” which of course is what creates the issue to begin with. It’s close to MILLIONS of people now and it’s only going to get worse. Even though I have zero desire to ride there, I agree with Runs with Scissors ✂️ to make it a full blown recreation area.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Technically and physically demanding trails that are really, really fun?

4. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    It's not like it has been real wilderness in a long, long time.
    Most of those areas were cattle ranched for 100+ years and even farmed.
    Many cattle trails would have been all over and ranch trails and roads.
    Roads that even cars traversed, like West Ridge and Car Wreck.
    I used to run through what is now called Shady Canyon long before the houses and golf courses. Cattle and fire roads.
    We fragmented all of that long ago.

Though I'm sure the Sierra Club would like many more areas that all humans are banned from, and even more that only privileged hikers could go into.

5. I’ve always been wildly amused at the entire concept of maintaining graded roads that are patrolled and used by utility company trucks for service work..... but.... step 6” off the graded road and it’s illegal and “reserve wilderness thou shall not set foot in”. Ha ha ha think about that.

Planning choices: Why is Marie Calenders unsanctioned? Why is that zone more sensitive than Willow? Seems like suggesting riders exit down Marie calendars instead of willow would result in much less conflict with hikers coming up willow. I heard the sanctioning of lizards was approved in a trade to get help from the MTB community to permenabtly shut Marie calendars down.

I remember riding up El Morro canyon to fence line following my dad long before the toll road was cut. There was no access past the fenceline into Laguna wilderness then. Right? Circa 1989? I don’t think to much has changed in that park since(in regards to new illegal trails) other than the trailer park being removed.

So if tonight there was a judgement to reasign Laguna wilderness a recreation area instead of a wilderness park how would it change in 1 month? 6 months? 5 years? It would still have land management rules. it would still see enforcement and maintenance practices. I don’t know of one city park where i am allowed to cut and build whatever i want where ever i want.

In the long term, the only way wilderness park land managers can be successful with their goals is to: 1. Include stakeholders in planing. 2. Educate users. 3. Enforce regulations and hold violators accountable.

Missing any of those 3 topics means failure.

Removing humans 100% from the “wilderness” is the worst idea ever. We need immersion, connections, education, accountability. No one gives a Sh!t about saving habitat they cannot see and experience in person.

My opinion about Laguna/Aliso is that with the sheer volume of high traffic illegal trails there is no way the land managers will successfully shut them down. I think they should adopt some new policies and allow a couple 1 way DH MTB trails and sanction a couple of those to allow trail work by the users. Use industry sponsors to fund it. In exchange for absolute enforcement to kill the truly problematic erosion causeing gnatcatcher killing trails.

6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    You forgot right next to/up to the ocean!

Cyclotourist, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    If I recall correctly - and I could be wrong - not all of what MC traverses is LCWP, and an MTBer decided to injure himself on the non LCWP part ( I think it’s either private or SCE, or something like that) and then, in his infinite wisdom decided to sue. Don’t know if he did in the end, but apparently it was the straw that broke the camels back and what lead to the last/serious attempt to block it off. At least that’s what I was told...

8. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I had heard there was historic artifacts, hieroglyphs, and/or endangered species habitat being trampled, esp at the rock outcrop that people liked to roll around on. Regardless I always go with the signage and it was very obvious they did not want people on Marie's. It never seemed that spectacular for me anyway and plenty of other trails that doesn't get boring if you don't ride there everyday.

I really dislike the concept of designating an area "wilderness" or whatever and not allowing people into it at all, even hiking. The idea that they are trying to preserve endangered species/habitat for future generations of people to experience doesn't hold water, since they won't be allowed to see it anyway. If an endangered species is living good and having fun, does it really matter if we can't see that happening? Is this a philosophical question to just ponder over and over in your brain and never come to a conclusion on, since you'll never know because you'll never be there to appreciate it? ... Those land swaps and putting wild acreage aside so they can build more houses somewhere else, then not letting anyone into those put-aside areas, is just a total cluster **** on taxpayers.

Oy, one last dump, IMO, some areas should be hiking only. Personally I think hiking you get more in touch with nature due to the slower pace and are able to observe and appreciate things you wouldn't when on a bike moving at speed and/or concentrating on technical features of the trail. Biking steals concentration that a hiker might use on the minutia of natural flora and fauna of the area. Too bad my knees are worn out or I'd do more of it....

9. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    The Jeep Cherokee cruising up STT today towards Old Camp was pretty annoying, crunching through the bushes.

10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Please report this to the Trabuco Ranger District so they might take action to prevent further encroachment. Thanks!

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

District Ranger

Darrell Vance

Contact

951-736-1811

12. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    thanks, will do. My friend got the plate number

6YWT333
    White Jeep Grand Cherokee

Cyclotourist, Rumpled and kioti like this.
  13. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Awesome. Thanks!

Cyclotourist likes this.