Arkansas Y’all!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Jun 8, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Embrace the positives....you will have easy access to riding in N GA, TN and NC. You'll have no state income tax and you just may realize how wacky (I'm being very lenient and nice) CA really is when you experience another world....errrrrr....planet. I just went back to do a few errands in San Diego and couldn't get out fast enough.

2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Brother, I’m on the same page re CA politics.
    God willing, we won’t have to go

Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I wish there were a separate planet…

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Charlotte to Orlando is 525 miles. Just sayin' :) We have hills! :)

When my parents moved from Tampa to Raleigh, I flew out to help my dad drive from Florida up to NC. Little did I know that I'd be living there in a couple years!

5. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    That eastern side of Orlando is actually pretty decent as suburbia goes. Flights to somewhere tolerable outdoors are cheap and plentiful. The folks I know out there drive up to Boone NC for mountain fun.

The gators don’t do salt water, though there are the sharks…

Housing on the Space Coast is getting downright pricey. Bezos is splashing the cash to get aerospace techs.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You need to tell your government. For the last 40 years they have been crying for open borders, and have based the entire financial future of the state on an assumption of continued residential development and population growth - as far as the eye can see in all directions. At least when I moved into the state, I moved into an existing house. While I lived there the population of the state ballooned 30%... and I'm not that old :) And the ultimate irony - as I was moving out of the state all I heard was that the high costs of living were due to "not enough housing", LOL! How about "too many f^#$ing people!"

My daughter goes to school at App State up in Boone :)

7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Can you comment on the humidity?? I was there in the summer, probably the worst time, and the humidity was TERRIBLE!!!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The humidity is other worldly. The closest way to approximate it is to take a steaming hot shower and then get dressed. Don't dry off first. I always had 2 or 3 extra shirts. :p

The humidity is only part of it, though... The overall heat is oppressive. They average 95 degrees for over 6 months of the year, with something like 70 inches of rain. When we moved to California, I couldn't get over the temperature swing in any given day in SoCal. I froze. My teeth chattered. Although I grew up in one of the coldest parts of the country, I got used to the Florida heat after 15 years. I thought we landed in Alaska by mistake. In Florida, it might be 90 by 6:30 in the morning, with 90% humidity. It will still be 90 when you go to bed at night and you'll run the AC non-stop for 300+ days per year. You have to... When Charlie hit, we were without power for close to two weeks. The temperature in the house was enough to make the metal spring in the thermostat wrap around inside the box. 130? 150? It was enough to cook the fish in the fish tank... If you turn the AC off, you won't leave any food out... No bread drawer. No cereal in anything other than sealed Tupperware. That's also good practice with the bugs... I went outside one morning to find a 6 foot anthill built agains the side of our house overnight. You'll also never walk barefoot in the grass... As numerous as the gators are, the fire ants are worse.

Sandwiched between two large warm bodies of water, with no land features, daily thunderstorms at 4:00 in the afternoon are normal in the summer months. We always knew when it was coming because it was hard enough to block out the signal to our satellite dish. An inch of rain in an hour is not unusual. Then it stops, the sun comes out, and the humidity feels 10X worse. One of the biggest money makers for Disney is the yellow Mickey Mouse rain poncho. They sell thousands in the parks daily in the summer. Usually around 4:00...

Sidewalk, mtbMike, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    No-one who works at Disney actually lives in Orlando... Especially the executives. If you want sickeningly planned suburbia, Celebration is the closest (Disney built community). Quite a few in there- think "The Borg" with picket fences. If you want greener pastures (literally... it's old-money cattle country) it's Saint Cloud, Narcoossee, Harmony... All of which are close to Lake Toho. There are several developments closer to the back side of the Magic Kingdom that were just coming up when we moved... not familiar with those.

You can spot any non-Floridian quick. Just ask them to pronounce "Kissimmee" and "Lake Tohopekaliga".

herzalot, tick, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Thanks for the detailed comments!!Just as I suspected. Oppressive is a good description. I used to feel like the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife, YUCK!

11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    My Alma Mater as well :thumbsup:.

tick, BonsaiNut, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The announcement I read in the paper said that Disney was putting the transplanted workforce into a new location over by the airport. It didn’t say why. But probably because that’s where the relo-friendly home building is going on.

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have flown into Orlando a few times. The first time was in peek August heat. When I got off the plane I was not sure if I should do the breast or backstroke to the rental car.
    Our goal while there was to time getting from AC unit to AC unit, whether it be from the car to building or building to building. I had never felt such moist heat ever in my life. There was two of us and we decided to get something to eat on our first day. We saw a familiar restaurant and pulled in the parking lot. All the cars were parked up against the building and I quickly figured out why. As soon as we got out of the car I was instantly pouring sweat! It was crazy! By the time I got inside the door, I was drenched in my clothes. The AC was blasting and they had an overhead wind blaster hammering out a torrent of air!

Since that time... it has not been so bad the last several times I have been out. NG has two major locations in St. Augustine and in Melbourne.
    St. Augustine in the old business district is AWESOME. The narrow cobblestone streets and amazing food from restaurant to restaurant was insanely fantastic!
    My favorite places are called Prohibition Kitchen where they always have great food and GREAT live entertainment... and the Gas Full Service Restaurant, a small converted gas station which only has food, but the food is wow!

upload_2021-7-30_8-35-30.png
    upload_2021-7-30_8-34-38.png

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I saw that... That area is close to the Saint Cloud, Narcoossee, Harmony areas that I mentioned above... It's actually quite a bit less built up than the areas closer to World. Lots of swamp and cattle over there. The building cost and proximity to the airport were probably the deciding factors. Is there another airport in the US that's 1/2 surrounded by swamp? :D

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Stop... You're making me homesick. :Roflmao

St. Augustine is nice... But if I ever moved back, it would be to the Gulf Coast or the Keys. Anna Maria Island... Key West. Other worldly. I'd take a Florida beach over any CA beach. White sand with enough room to hit a 5 iron and not get the ball wet. :inlove:

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Probably have a Strike Team to remove Gators off the runways in between take off and landings...! :eek:

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    The new offices will be at Lake Nona. We can live wherever we want to out there, but Brent may have to go into the office 3 days a week so....
    Thankfully they’ll cover our moving expenses , even paying closing costs on a home purchase. They’ll also foot the bill for a trip to check things out, which I’m hoping is in the fall or winter.
    Y'all are not helping my moral here:cautious:
    :p

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Mikie, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Faust29 and Old&InTheWay like this.
  21. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    SwampGurl Sara, I like Florida. The last time I was on Air Way in Glendale I was amazed by the expansion of Dizzy on Grand Central Ave. It used to be there was just a little Imagination and their toys in the backyard, now it is Dizzy on Steroids. . But then again that company on Air Way has taken over all of that street as well. Good things happen to well managed companies. In the long run it's Just another Mickey Mouse company to me

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We were actually in the process of looking for a new home when Disney plucked us for the westward re-lo... That whole eastern side of Lake Toho was on the radar and we had looked at a few. Only a hop, skip and jump down Boggy Creek Road to the Lake Nona area. And far enough away from the main Mouse complex... Cattle country.

Will they give you a real estate agent on your scouting trip? Temp housing? Maid service? The maid was kinda nice... :Roflmao :whistling:

Hmmm… Maybe a lifestyle change? Cypress Cove? :whistling:

herzalot, Mikie, tick and 3 others like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Haha, everything but the maid service:thumbsup:
    That is a very nice area...on the map. I like rural, well prob do Disney’s housing and look around for a few months.
    I’m still hoping hoping hoping that we won’t have to go!

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... If you do have to go, look at it as a prolonged Florida vacation. Stay away from the tourist spots, and there is a lot to see.

And... Be careful with the word "rural" when talking to Florida real estate people... You still want running water and electricity. I wouldn't go "Yeehaw Junction" rural. :stop: :p

herzalot, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Good advice, thank you Faust!
    You’ve lived all over the map it seems, will you stay in CA?

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've lived in 3 corners of the country... :p

We'll stay here for the next few years, but nothing is 100%. I never saw us leaving Florida. A couple months with no power, water, or emergency services has a way of putting things in perspective when an offer comes along... Politics is secondary, if even that...

I went through a lot of car tires in 6 months... It's amazing how far roofing nails will fly. And they make a "zing" noise as they pick up speed... The oddest thing was being unable to buy one in a hardware store for months...

27. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Obsidian, Mikie, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  29. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I'll be visiting Arkansas in less than two weeks.
    Going to spectate at the Cyclocross World Championships in Fayetteville.
    Prolly gonna freeze my ass off with me California thin skin.
    Should be fun.

OTHRider, tick, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This morning… just southeast of Huntsville off my back porch…
    When is the event? I may sneak up on yah…:sneaky:
    9E1949D1-E058-45DC-9618-0DA7962A7ACD.jpeg

Redman, Walleye, OTHRider and 6 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?