Are you guys (and gals) feeling it, too?

Discussion in 'Health' started by SnakeCharmer, Sep 16, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That cooling of the nights that signifies the approach of a change of the seasons? It's got my joints and muscles aching. This happens to me every year. I ache in the cool months. I am loose and pain free in the warm months which makes me forget about the pain when the cool temps return... until the cool temps start to return. :facepalm:

Can anyone relate?

bvader, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  2. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Not specifically, but what hits me is as it cools down at night I tend to sleep better in the morning and get up a bit later. Later for me means 5:30ish rather than 4:30 - 5. I gotta ride early, can't handle sun and heat anymore.

3. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I too am not as ready to get up super early as I was earlier in the Summer.

4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I can relate, I have an old knee injury from my teens that gets ache-y and the muscle behind it get's tight when it cools down. Although, I haven't felt it yet.

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I get this weird/good feeling in the Fall. Not physiological exactly, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I joke with my wife that Fall is my power time, and while it's a joke, there is something to it. It goes deeper than it just being my favorite time of year. I just feel like I kind of come alive. Better sleep, heightened senses, just kind of at one with things. I started to feel that familiar feeling over the last week or so. Kinda early though. Maybe it was brought on by the smoke blotting out the sun.

Mikie, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  6. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Yes!! It's a good thing to me. I love it, I really feel it in the mornings :inlove:

7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I’m with Rocky on this one but heat is my kryptonite. Sunny and high 50’s to low 60’s is my favorite riding weather. One of the things I like about Prescott is even during the warmer months, it cools down at night with cool and crisp mornings.

-ROCKY-, Stkx66, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Felt a bit of fall early this morning. Went for a light run early since AQ was acceptable and was chilly at first. I feel better with the cooler weather, but fall always has me on edge until it rains.

-ROCKY-, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I’m feeling the glorious fall despite the miserable conditions outside. Every season is terrific, but the fall means Halloween festivities, Chicken Nuggets in da Sauce, anticipation for the holidays ahead, and playing in fallen Sycamore leafs. Still I wish everyone would join the 100 degree club. Selective pressures for a world forthcoming.

10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Haven't noticed, probably because I haven't left the house early in the morning lately.
    Fall does kind of perk me up, but I'm in the minority here on temps. I like mild to warm/hot.
    50* mornings.....brrr...nope you can keep em.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Not this year. Everything is canceled.

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    One way or another, people are gonna gather on the streets for at least a week starting Halloween, and the Nuggets will dip.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    For those of us who lived for winter sports, fall was the absolute best. The shorter days, the leaves turning, the brisk nights, the possibility of the first snow. The irony was that we would go trash our new equipment on marginal, rocky slopes in late October-early November and then be sick of it by mid March when the snow is absolutely the best and there's a month more of great conditions. Golf anyone? Such is (was) the life of a CO ski racer.

14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Hallmark signs of osteoarthritis!

15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Too late. It's genetic on both sides of the family and Uncle Arthur has been visiting me for years already.

16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So so true. Some of my favorite powder days ever are from early November, before the masses have flipped the switch to snow mode, and powder panic sets in on storm days. My favorite scenario, which over the last 10 years seems to play out more often than not, is going to Mammoth the weekend after opening weekend. All the city people got it out of their systems the weekend before and 12 - 15 of new snow falls on a marginal, at best, base. Chairs 1, 2, and 3 are the only ones open, but you can ride off the backside of 3 and connect down to 2, yet very few people seem to figure that out. Fresh tracks down Upper Dry Creek and Coyote all day. A core shot is all but guaranteed, but so worth it. Those days are the best.

tick, MolarM, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I love fall but have never got too excited about what follows. Mostly due to the long trek to work every day. 125 mile round trip in winter road conditions is not... exciting.
    Being retired would be different.
    I noticed the dampness in the air meaning the approach of Fall. What happen to summer already. Wow! Time is speeding up and did we actually have a summer?

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
    Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
    Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
    The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say...

MolarM, herzalot, -ROCKY- and 10 others like this.
  18. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    I love to ride in the fall. Especially in the Antelope Valley. The wind tends to calm down a little and the temps can not be better. So excited. Would be looking forward to the colors in the Leona Divide/Lake Hughes areas but unfortunately they are all black and burnt now.

19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've noticed the cold air on my morning commutes for about a week now. Bordering on wanting to add sleeves or something, maybe even a pair of gloves. I dislike winter myself. I'll gladly ride in 100+ weather, but 50 degrees sucks! I luckily don't suffer from the pains though.

20. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    A cup of coffee with the Laird turmeric creamer every morning does wonders. Really. Having one right now.

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I've been curious about the Laird coffee and creamers. I take it you're a fan?

-ROCKY- and mountaingirl sara like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks for your input. I've tried adding quality produced turmeric to my diet. Unfortunately, it did not help me. Another friend stated that it upset their stomach, but I am happy to hear that it is helping you.

-ROCKY- and mountaingirl sara like this.
  23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    From 1982 until 2004, my life and financial planning revolved around skiing and then snowboarding. I worked the big ski sales every year, was a ski repair tech at Oshman's and every vacation was to some far off snow covered land. I can't tell you how much money I spent at Newport Ski Company, such a great store and staff. The dirt biking scene took over our Winter lives from 2004-2011 so our multiple week long ski trips became one (4) day trip to Mammoth. Once the kids went back to college, we spent a weekend at a friends house in Big Bear and froze. Now we haven't skied/snowboarded in 4 years and every Winter vacation is to Mexico or Hawaii. Already have trips booked to Mexico and the British Virgin Islands for Winter 20/21. Probably no snow at either place.

24. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Mmmmmmmm

60 degrees is perfect riding weather...

Luis, herzalot, -ROCKY- and 3 others like this.
  25. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I was hoping this was a stress, anxiety, and depression thread to commiserate in.
    Because it is a big YES for me

26. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    Absolutely. I’m feeling it. Of course, there are benefits to the cooler mornings, but I feel like a need a warm up before I do anything too physical.

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, me too. In the chills of Winter, I like to work first, ride later. Afternoon rides are best for me because my body is loosened and warmed up from work. That's not to say that I won't ride in the morning during the dark, cold days of Winter. My staying power is certainly better in cool weather.

28. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I prefer Fall cooler riding... so much more enjoyable... Winter riding is fine too as long as my hands aren't numb. For me it's easier to layer up than to remove layers... nobody should be subjected to what's under my clothes in broad daylight! so at least one layer must remain at all times... hahaha

the tech clothing of today is lightyears ahead of the 80/90's clothing of yester year. so sweating while bundled up isn't too bad anymore.

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I feel the change, from warm to hot. Its 97 out right now, probably be 100 on my climb in just a bit. Still summer weather in my opinion.
    Now my co workers in Vermont, that's fall. Leaves starting to change color and its 55 at 6pm.

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The only thing I notice in the fall is I'm driving home in the dark after work.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?