Are there Any Vegetarian's in the Audience Tonight?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Mikie, Aug 8, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm moving heavily to a vegetarian diet in effort to lose weight, reduce my Uric Acid in my blood thingy, move my PH more to the Alkaline side, and just be healthier in general.
    Are there any folks out there that has any secret weapon vegetarian dishes that kick start your day for long endurance energy?

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  2. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Beans ? they're going to give you lots of gas to keep pedaling.... [emoji16] On a serious note hope you can get back on track soon, my older brother used to suffer from uric acid and used to say his knees were killing him years ago, he stop almost on red meats... [emoji6]

Mikie likes this.
  3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Day before, buy frozen 4 cheese de Gornio rising crust pizza, add sliced tomato, mushrooms and black olives, then cook it. Eat some for dinner. Put the rest in the fridge and eat in the morning before riding :thumbup:

Mikie likes this.
  4. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I often just do straight oatmeal with some dried cranberries mixed in after I nuke it.
    Good sustained energy for a few hours. I don't do dairy or sugar with it.
    I generally have a banana or some other fruit to go along.
    Both are easy to eat during the commute

Mikie likes this.
  5. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I'm not a veg, but I rarely include meat in my diet.

Whey isolate protein powder is how I meet my protein needs. Note you can only really absorb about 25-30g in a sitting. Just drink before you go to bed and after waking up, and immediately after workouts.

I cheat and shamelessly get all my vitamins and minerals from cereal. I make sure I get the kind that has full enrichment, about 25% DV per serving, since I prob eat 4 servings anyways. Watch out for the ones that have like 60% DV or more of iron, if you want to do 4 servings at a time too (a bowl is prob 4 servings, since 1 serving is a mere cup), as there are concerns about getting too much iron in your diet. I don't even need to bother with vegs this way. That just leaves me to get my calories from a good mix of carbs and good quality fats.

Can you eat fish as a veg? I like sardines (in tomato sauce, hot/jalapeno flavor). They're super healthy and nutritious, convenient, and inexpensive. If you don't mind eating the bones, there's really not much prep to them. I just transfer a 15 oz can of it to a bowl, spice it up, and eat half right away and put the rest in the fridge to later pull it out to microwave for another meal. Tuna isn't nearly as nutritious. Chicken of the sea isn't just a name brand, it's what it is nicknamed since it doesn't have a fishy taste or smell, and is more like chicken.

Don't overload on fruits. Limit yourself to 2 servings a day. A banana before a ride, and watermelon after a ride. :thumbup: Else, the fructose in them will not help you slim down at all.

Honestly, the best "secret" for energy is just not skipping meals, especially not breakfast, which is cereal for me. Today, I did a 65 mile ride, only on my cereal breakfast and 1 24oz bottle of my electrolyte formula. Only had grilled cheese sandwiches the night before. I usually have the fish with rice. I like parboiled (not the converted cooked-then-dried Uncle Bens instant rice stuff), as it has a nice nutty flavor to it and is low on the GI scale, for long term energy.

Mikie likes this.
  6. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Not veg, but....

Orgain protein powder...it's entirely from plant based sources but not soy based (You can research the differences between soy and whey protein powders and their various 'effects'). Mix with frozen/fresh fruit of your choice and water and blend. Sometimes at Costco, and comparable in price to others. SoCal based...the only comparable protein powder I'd trust is by Hammer. Throw in some Chia and Hemp seeds to get the Omegas and to balance out the calorie mix between protein/fat/carb.

300-500 calories in the am does wonders for the rest of the morning.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Before I answer your question, let me toss in a little warning. I'm not a big meat eater. I'll eat chicken breasts, a bit of fish, and my beef is limited an occasional filet mignon or ground beef. I LIKE vegetables, and that's what I eat. I figured everything was a-ok because I felt great, I play hard, and I have great stamina. On a strenuous day, I would wake up, do krav maga, go ride, then back to krav maga in the evening. About a year and a half ago, I started feeling "off." My doctor and chiro said, "blah, blah, blah, eventually you'll get better, blah, blah, blah." For nearly a month, I was dizzy, some days I couldn't drive, couldn't stand on one leg, and couldn't close my eyes and remain standing. Riding a bike was out of the question. Eventually I went to an acupuncturist/herbalist. He told me I was "weak." WTF? I could beat him in any physical contest, run across down and back, then beat him again! But I listened. Part of his advice was about nutrition. After seeing him and taking his advice, all is better. I still don't eat a lot of meat, but I pay much closer attention to getting enough protein through dead animals. I know plenty of vegans who are stronger than me, so I'm not trying to convince you to be a carnivore. I'm just saying pay attention and do it right.

So you asked about some vegetarian recipes. Great coincidence, as I'm backpacking tomorrow with some vegetarians. When we backpack, we do it in style--none of that freeze-dried crap for a short trip. I'm strong enough to carry a couple extra pounds, so we eat and drink like royalty. Right now I've got a marinara sauce simmering on the stove. It will go over ravioli around the campfire tomorrow night. I generally get my ravioli from Costco. They have some good stuff. I like spinach and cheese (if cheese is ok for your diet). There's also butternut squash that's wonderful, as are the beet ravioli. They have kale/white bean, but it's not my favorite.

So on to the marinara sauce recipe... I don't really "do" recipes, I kind of improvise on everything. If the following is confusing, just unleash your inner artist and let him go wild. So I start by sautéing a quarter onion in a cast iron pot. Toward the end, add a big clove of garlic. When it's browned, but not burned, add four 14 oz. cans of diced tomatoes. If you prefer fresh tomatoes, go ahead and substitute, but dice them first. Spicing a marinara isn't difficult, but it's easy to overdo it. If you're used to doing meat sauces, marinara requires much less.

Add about a 2-3" stick of fresh rosemary, and a stick with about 4-6 bay leaves on it. Add about 1/4 tsp. each of oregano and marjoram, just under 1/2 tsp. each of dried parsley and dried basil. Add a little thyme if you like. Grind some fresh black pepper into it. I probably add a tsp. of salt, but you can go less if you want. Add just under 1/4 tsp. of crushed red pepper to accentuate the other spices.

Simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Add water as needed to end up with the proper consistency sauce. At the end of 45, you'll have some tomato chunks that are too big. Use the food-smasher tool (my wife isn't here to tell me the name of this thing) to mash the sauce to the proper consistency. If it's too runny, cook it down some more. If it's too thick, add water.

That's it. Basic marinara is easy, if you don't overdo the spices. Too little is ok, too much will overpower whatever you're using it on.

Ask me later about stir-fry. I have some marinara to attend to right now.

Oaken and Mikie like this.
  8. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Ok, so MdMD's mention of chia got me excited, so I decided to go through my photos and find other things that might help.

Chia pudding: chia seeds, almond milk, a tiny squirt of agave nectar, fresh mango. Great for breakfast.

Fresh pear with piave vecchio cheese slices, drizzled with balsamic. Great for lunch.

If you can eat fish, this is broiled wild salmon with grated ginger and a honey/teriaki glaze. On the side is grilled asparagus, roasted beets, and wild rice. Real wild rice is NOT rice, but a grass. It can only be harvested in Minnesota and Wisconsin by naked Indian maidens in canoes using sticks. Truth. Ok, maybe not the NAKED Indian maidens, but Indians in canoes for sure. This is the only source for the real thing.

IMG_2922 WithAdjustments.jpg

IMG_4914 WithAdjustments.jpg

IMG_7560 WithAdjustments.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Recipie #2:

I can mix this concoction up and it'll be good for up to 10 days before things start sprouting, but it's 14 days before it gets fuzzy. 1 serving of Oatmeal (1/2 or 3/4 cup...a finer grind like steel cut is what I prefer), 1 serving of dried (Blueberries, cherries, other....about 40g), 1 Tablespoon each of Hemp and Chia. Mix it all together and then add 6-8 oz of juice. Acai is my favorite, cranberry works, so does grape. Let sit for 12+ hours in the fridge. The dry mix will absorb most of the liquid, softening the oatmeal, chia, and hemp. Experiment with variations. I'd stay away from citrus, it tends to sour pretty quickly. But everything (including raisins) in the anti-oxidant berry family works.

Another 400 calories. You can swap out the juice with Greek Yogurt (Fage makes some good ones from non-fat to low added sugar) for some protein...and it'll keep just as long. I'll make up 10-12 in little Rubbermaid single-serving tins...makes for an easy-to-grab snack.

Also, check out the book called Thrive by Brendan Brazier (not the Huffington version)...its vegan, but is informative about balance and not naive to believe it's readers won't eat animal protein at some point.

Mikie likes this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My personal light bulb went off the first week of July 2012... And I quickly dropped 20 pounds or so. In November 2012, I found the MyFitnessPal app for the phone and bought a very accurate kitchen scale, and promptly dropped another 50+ pounds. Seeing the charts, graphs, and daily percentages of calories from fat, protein, and carbs really helped steer me to better eating habits. It wasn't really a conscious decision, but the data made it obvious to choose a lot more vegetables, a lot less red meat, and a lot less "white" carbs. Over time, I think my taste buds realigned to appreciate "good" food more than the junk. I would much rather eat a pot of broccoli now (steamed with a little Lawry's) than a bag of chips...

Rob S. is making me hungry with the pictures... And the last two could have been taken in my kitchen at some point, although I'd switch the cheese to Trader Joe's Italian Truffle. :)

I'm still typing with one hand... As I make some dishes this week, I will try to post up some pictures.

Mikie likes this.
  11. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli and a Stump Jumper
    if you want to loose weight - simply go gluten free. All those useless carbs removed will make a huge change. Less carbs, more veggies and fruit, dont get rid of meats and you will be fine. In general we eat way more carbs and sugar than we need. Surprisingly some carbs and sugars have addictive properties as well causing over eating.

Mikie likes this.
  12. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Ask what anyone around you that seems lean, fit, and healthy, in a normal way (not forced), eats. Someone like Burt, or I guess Doug or Shawn[doh]. Hell, ask one of the healthier wise-looking docs. I would be not surprised if they said they don't follow any fad diets like gluten free, paleo, or some organic, ketogenic, or whatever else, and just try to keep it simple and eat whatever they feel like. They're just spending it by having fun, actively following their interests, and that keeps their "metabolic engine" rev'd up, burning whatever they eat. It's just that the ones following fad diets will stand up to tell the world that they follow it, as if they wanted support to keep at it, while the ones doing it "normally" will just think about filling their plate with energy, likely fine with "free food" and buffets and not being too picky, ignoring the people sticking their nose up at them for eating stuff that comes in packages that isn't specially marketed and hiked up in price.

I personally only really avoid foods that take a lot of time to prepare, eat, and clean up afterwards, especially food with hardly any calories like lettuce, cucumbers, or whatever else people eat to "fill themselves". I target foods high in nutritional value that's easy to chow down on with minimal prepping, cooking, cleaning. If I do cook, I prepare food with cooking methods that I can simply walk away from and come back when the timer triggers. I try to think more like Michael Phelps, and less like the Biggest Loser. Things like air-popped popcorn are okay if I have the munchies and know I won't be needing much energy in the near future. If I need calories, heck, I would just snack on crunchy PB straight out of the jar.

In the end, it's a lifestyle shaping thing. You need to create habits that you can easily/naturally keep up with, that are adaptable to the way you currently live. Cereal (enriched with a long list of vitamins and minerals, ~25% DV down the line) and protein shakes are really the only thing I stick to. Fish, beans, fruit, rice, etc. are merely filler/backup plans, to fill the calorie quota according to how I plan to spend my next 48 hours. Sweet potatoes, eggs, bacon, sandwich deli meats, cheese, breads, pancakes, yogurt, or whatever else you like that can be prepared and eaten quickly can fill the caloric needs too, as tougher nutrition needs are already handled. This means, if I were in a relationship, I could just ride the flow, and go with whatever whims she may have regarding meals. If I had a family to feed, or wanted food for a few days, perhaps throwing a whole bird into a smoker, loading it up with some apple wood chips, and letting it slow cook at 240 F for 6 hours, would be good for the main dish, with some sort of complex carbs on the side. Chili is one that was popular when I was in the military, as a dish that can be made with little effort. Just throw ground meat and beans in, add in some spices (can find them in 50c packets even) and cook on low, then come back when it begins to smell mouth watering. Put in more beans if you're going towards a veg diet, rather than full veg. Just ask your wife for forgiveness ahead of time, if you fart in bed. ;)

Seriously, you don't have to try too hard on dieting. Might not be impressive to those with cultural endeavors, being manly or sophisticated, but that stuff has little value to me when it comes to cuisine/nutrition. I just keep it simple and effective. That's 1 shelf in my cupboard, back in '10 when I moved here, and I mixed them in certain ratios.

Mikie likes this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Hey Mikie, my first question to you is are you planing to go vegetarian for life, or planing on introducing meats back in after you get the uric acid under control? By meats I mean lean meats, chicken, turkey, pork.,fish or lean beef. I believe it is very hard for a man to get enough protien in on a vegetairian diet.
    We talked about protien powder on the GE ride, we are currently are using Garden of Life -Raw Meal- it's Vegan, gluten free, dairy, and soy free. Personaly I think it tastes terrible, Michele mixes it in a smoothie, frozen banana, rice milk, ice, and berries, and to make it taste real good a table spoon of (g-rated) nut butter.
    There is so much to know! The internet can be dizzying , and overwhelming with good and bad information, and then you have to find what works for you. With Michele's auto-immune problems she has come to know a great deal about nutrition, if you would like to pick her brain just let us know.
    BTW- Michele says my diet is about 40% Paleo, Like Varaxis commented I've never really thought about it.

Mikie likes this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good on you, Mikie, for making some changes toward better health.

I'm not vegan or veg, but don't eat a lot of meat. What I've found is that it may be necessary to eat during, or eat more often during, a ride. But that's me, not good at powering down a huge pre-epic meal. Nothing beats a sandwich or leftover pizza on the trail, IMO. The fake meats at TJs are pretty good; Tofurkey and Meatless Balls make a tasty sammy.

To your health...

Mikie likes this.
  15. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'm vegetarian. One of my favorite pre-ride b-fasts is Just two slices of dense bread with half an avocado spread on top,kosher salt and some mustard.
    For longer rides I'll pack a peanut butter sandwich ( trailer joe's has a great one with chia seeds) or a cuple of vegi versions of these:

Oaken and Mikie like this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks S9b!
    Have you made the above Scratch Labs Bacon and Egg Rice Cakes? How do they hold up on long rides, or is this something you eat on the way to the trailhead? I'm gonna give this a try.
    Thanks!
    Mikie

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  17. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I've made the rice cakes a few times. I substitute fake bacon and they hold-up well but not really like "cakes." It kind of turns into a rice and egg pocket but, on the trail it's super tasty. I did 32 miles on SART a while back and they held-up 'til the end of the ride.

Mikie likes this.
  18. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I occasionally hit Whole Foods salad bar in the morning on the way to work. They have really tasty & healthy stuff (and usually I grab a hard-boiled egg for protein). So sometimes I'm a vegetarian I suppose. You don't feel as heavy as after you eat at an Indian Buffet, for example, or McDonald's (fast food? no way).

Eat lots of fruits and nuts as snacks before and after lunch. Read about this ultra-runner: http://scottjurek.com/ he is a vegan and claims to eat brown rice as protein source.

Do not eat desserts (no cake, cookies, ice cream, etc it's 100% useless). I've been on this no dessert diet for a few months and I've lost 5-7 lbs so far. Didn't modify anything else. You will succeed.

Mikie likes this.
  19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Make good food choices out there people....look at all that lettuce! It's practically a salad!!!!2015-12-15 17.01.32.jpg

Oaken, Faust29, tortoise and 11 others like this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You've got every food group representing, Ross!! WTG! (Tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable)

Mikie, Varaxis and rossage like this.
  21. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I'd have no guilt chowing down on that. I'd worry about what's in the cup though.

Mikie and rossage like this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I like to throw in a cola once in a while to make sure my pancreas is still working!

Oaken, Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek:Is no thread sacred?:oops:

Faust29 likes this.
  24. VeggieBiker

VeggieBiker Newbie

Name:
    Alan
    I don't eat meat, but I eat fish and eggs. Lots of Mexican breakfasts like Chilaquiles, Huevos Rancheros, etc. will get me started well.

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?