Ardent Race

Discussion in 'Maxxis Tires' started by mike, Jan 31, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ardent Race 3C Maxx Speed EXO 2.2 x 29"

I rode into Steamboat Springs with a Bonty XR-3 Team Issue looking pretty sad. Ahead was ~1500 miles of varied dirt surface and paved roads. From a narrow selection of tires at the shop, I ended up with the AR on the rear.

Good move. Easy rolling, enough traction and wear seemed to be non-existant. No flats, burps or excessive lost air for the duration. I started trail riding on it next. On the steep and loose stuff I always do, it was amazing to have a a fast-rolling, well-worn tire actually holding its own, including aired down.

I drifted to a back tire that's not cutting it, so I grabbed another Ardent Race, this one 2.35. I realize now it lacks the EXO sidewall, so I'm exchanging it. A worthy 50-grams addition IMO. My shopbros clued me in to Santa Cruz speccing the 2.35 EXO rear tire on the new upper end Tallboys (with Minion DHF front) and other bikes. A little vindication there.

Stoked to be getting back on Ardent Race. For its tech chops and durability, it's hard to add 200-400 extra grams to my back wheel (read: a Minion).

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Been running an Ardent Exo 2.4 frontwise for a awhile. Minion DHR 3c Exo 2.35rear (for winter).
    Loving the Maxxis!

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    The Ardent Race is good until you take it down Middle Merrill trail!

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Luis and 4 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    No worse than the Ikon 2.2 I ran both times. :sneaky:

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I agree....I have spent the last 3.5 months on a 2.35/2.2 Ardent Race combo. Liked the 2.2 up front, but the 2.35 is even better. More volume, better bite.

Finally wore the 2.2 out on the rear last week. It was slipping out on loose climbs.

I still think the Ikon is a better rear tire IMO. I think it hooks up just as well, but rolls just a litte faster.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Maxxis tires suck...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    The new to me Pivot Les has 2.2 Ikons on it and I've been surprised by the amount of grip a tire with seemingly no tread provides. Braking traction is definitely lacking though.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thats what I found with the Minion SS-what the hell is braking?
    Still might try the Ardent front and rear for desert trips. I really just need volume...

Danmtchl, Mikie, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My Ardent 2.25 TR rear tire is wearing out. Probably the gnarliest trail I will ever ride is Silverado Motorway, unless I get a brain tumor and decide to do Joplin...

I know diddly about what the EXO really means. Thicker sidewall? The TR I've been using went inexplicably flat a few days after I crashed the bike a couple weeks ago, but I pumped it up and it's been holding air just fine.

Is there any reason I should go with the EXO? I'm definitely staying with the Ardent - it's been phenomenal for me.:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    No... I'd stay with the non-Exo tires. You can go through 5 tires in a month, and have Mtnbikej roll his eyes at you for buying cheap tires! :whistling:

Seriously, though... The exo is worth the extra few bucks, as the sidewalls are reinforced. The rocks on Motorway are prime territory for the type of cut that the exo is more resistant to.

Continental, Schwalbe, and the rest all have a more durable version of their popular tires, as well... Just with a different name.

Danmtchl, Luis, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    What's your brand of choice...(derailed)

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    I'd say spend the extra dough on the exo. You never know, one day we might sucker you in to doing Palm canyon or Cannel plunge or Kokopelli or the list goes on and you'll be glad you bought the tougher tire.

Danmtchl, Luis, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I would actually LOVE to do Kokopelli...but I don't know that the vacation gods will ever allow it.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @bvader, he was being sarcastic. He truly loves them.

Had a chance to ride the 2.35 EXO on the rear of my Czar. Measured width exactly same as the 2.3 Minion DHF of front. I'd say this will have to be my Santa Anas Epic ST® tire setup. The AR gave up so little from a Minion DHR2, it's not worth talking about. I didn't air down much on Los Pinos' considerable chunk/loose, and still never felt overwhelmed. A solid climber with my shock set at medium or open; a confidence-promoting tire that rolls fast, is light and durable. Got my bike firmly back under 27 lbs, too. Maxxis tires suck as much as Primus.

Danmtchl, Mikie, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    +1 Voodoo Tom on EXO.

RWS, short answer is you ride the Santa Anas. I've seen a new regular sidewall get sliced open like a balloon at walking speed, and so many other unexpected biffs from rocks flying everywhere or sharp edged ones lurking in the worst positions...

The EXO version weighs 4g more, tho :cool:

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh yeah, just stay away from the 3C version, unless you like buying tires. The traction is amazing, the longevity is not.
    EXO, Grid, whatever the manufacturers call it, the extra sidewall protection is worth it.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Luis and 4 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Which 3C?

Maxxis 3C Triple Compound mountain technology uses a harder, longer lasting base layer and two progressively softer top layers in order to optimize traction and stability. Maxxis offers three different configurations of our 3C Triple Compound mountain technology: Maxx Speed, Maxx Terra and Maxx Grip.

Both the 2.2 and my new 2.35 are Maxx Speed. The 2.2 I took off had 2000+ miles and still hangs in the shop as a backup, knobs barely worn. So far, I give the Maxx Speed compound great marks for longevity.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    @Runs with Scissors You ride the Flooooooooop.....you should be running straight up DH tires....on your gravel grinder.

Get the TR/EXO version. As others have said....the sidewalls are reinforced thus less succeptable to sidewall cuts and tears. This will also allow you to run a little lower pressure, but the tire will still have plenty of support.

It's worth it for the couple of extra $ you are going to spend.

This is how they have it listed on the Maxxis site:

Ardent
    29X2.25 56-622 60 FOLDABLE 800 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black

If you want something faster then you can try the Ardent Race
    29X2.20 56-622 120 FOLDABLE 720 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

They do wear out a little quicker than the Dual Compound tires.....but certain TR/EXO tires are only available as 3C MaxxSpeed......Ardent Race/Ikon

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have had the TR/EXO without the 3C and it seems they lasted longer. I thought the 3C was a triple compound that was a little softer in the middle....if I'm wrong, I stand corrected-but mine are definitely wearing faster.

Just looked-I have the Maxxis Terra

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ahhhh, those who know me know these two things about me:
    a.) I'm a smartass
    b.) I love Maxxis tires and have advocated for the DHR II/DHF combo for years! I think I may have helped convert many on this site.

Danmtchl, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    3c wears quicker. Better in front. Wears out too fast in the back, and not necessary 'round these parts.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

The Maxx Terra will wear faster than the Maxx Speed.

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Requires exactly 3 days minimum off work.

Danmtchl, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Plus time to get there and get back. And we're going to Glacier National Park this year.

Danmtchl and mike like this.
  26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm planning on running an Ardent Race front and Ikon rear on my 29" wheelset. Good combo or should I go Ardent Race front and rear? The wheelset uses 34id rims. This wheelset will be used for my longer rides.

Danmtchl, mike, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I put a regular Ardent 2.4 on the front and an Ikon 2.35 on the rear of that JET I used for Counting Coup and liked it for a long day in (and out of) the saddle. Slapped them on my HT after the event so still going to run that combo there. 44 miles and 8k of climbing with the regular Ardent didn't feel like I was dragging an anchor up front and the Ikon was fine for the Motorway descent even though it was raining/slippery.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, mike and 3 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I actually prefer the Ikon out back. Both tires are available in 2.35. I think the Ikon rolls a bit faster without any loss of traction.

Up front the AR may be just a hair better when you really lean it. I did find that the AR up front needs to be ridden aggressively to get the most out of it. You gotta get up on the shoulder knobs to hook up. With that being said, given the option, I'll go Ikon 2.35/2.2 f/r when it comes time for new tires.

Danmtchl, mike, kioti and 4 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Quoting myself. I accidentally ordered an Ardent Race so when my Ikon shows up I'll finally get to try the AR/IKON combo. When I was inquiring before I had ended up going with Forekasters front and rear.

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO