Anyone riding tomorrow morning (Saturday)?

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by TomF, Aug 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Ride Name: Anyone riding tomorrow morning (Saturday)?
    When: Saturday 20th
    Time: Morning
    Where: Santa Monica Mountains or within 1 hour of Santa Monica
    Ride Description or Details:
    Intermediate, longish ride of around 3-5 hours. Mix of terrain but ideally flowy singletrack with some technical sections. Thinking maybe Backbone Trail or Sullivan Canyon but totally open to suggestions - or equally happy to tag along to an already existing ride
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    Skill Level: Intermediate
    Ride Pace: Moderate Pace, Fast Pace
    Type of Ride:
    Rider Limit: More the merrier
    Anticipated Mileage: 20ish
    Elevation Gain:
    Ride Duration: 3-5 hours
    Previous Ride Reports:
    Possible Bail-Outs:
    Facilities:
    Food/water suggestions:
    Option to Upload:

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Bud!
    I know this does not fit your spec's for tomorrow but...
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/cannell-plunge-part-2-august-20th.4943/
    This is a Shuttle Ride in Kernville California that a bunch of us are going on. You are very welcome to join. Shuttle fee is $42 bucks.
    No doubt we can fit you in on a carpool up there. You want big trail experience? This is it.
    Hope you can join us!
    Mikie

El Immigrante likes this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Backbone from Encinal Canyon to Mishe Mokwa. It's a great ride. A little over 20 miles and around 2800'.

El Immigrante, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  4. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Cheers guys - as you might have seen from my newbie thread yesterday, I’ve recently moved to LA and looking for rides starting from tomorrow! Don’t think I’m quite up to the Cannell Plunge downhill ride yet, so wondering if anyone is planning any group rides tomorrow morning I can tag along to, or if not would be up for arranging one now?

I’m in Venice so the Santa Monica Mountains work best for me but I’m happy to travel. As I’m new to the area I’m still figuring out the best trails so very much open to suggestions. Looking for a longish ride maybe 3-5 hours with a mix of terrain.

Sorry if this isn’t posted in the right place but I could see any group rides being other than the Cannel Plunge one – surely there are people out there that want to hit the trails tomorrow morning? Hope we can maybe arrange something.

Cheers!

Tom

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Right on Tom,
    If I was not conducting the Cannell extravaganza tomorrow, I would be all over putting a ride together for you tomorrow...
    How are you looking for next Saturday, just as a heads up?

El Immigrante and mtnbikej like this.
  6. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Cheers Mike! I would be all over joining you guys on the Cannell ride but don't think my technical skills are quite up to big downhills yet and would hate to be slowing you all down.

Next Sat I'm planning go out with the North Ranch guys in SMM, but could be up for the Sunday 28th if anyone's keen.

Edward - thanks for the suggestion - I actually did that exact trail last weekend and it was awesome!

El Immigrante, UPSed and mtnbikej like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Keep an eye out....I sometimes put out some "interesting" rides.

;):sneaky::thumbsup:

El Immigrante, Mikie and TomF like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

I was actually offering to join you there. Perhaps Cheeseboro or Sycamore Canyon?

El Immigrante and Mikie like this.
  9. I'm leading a newbish ride tomorrow. So far it's 3 of us. We are doing Backbone south from Kanan Rd at Tunnel 1.

Expecting 12-13 with 2,200-2,400. Meet time will be 8-8:30ish. Maybe 7:45ish if the forecast changes and they expect higher temps.

You're welcome to join us. Pace will mostly chill to slow.

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Welcome TomF. What they^^ all said.

But within an hour of Santa Monica? That's...Santa Monica on an average day. :whistling::devilish:

11. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    That sounds great Edward but I'm going to join El Inmigrante and his guys this time for Backbone and possibly go on to Encinal afterwards. If you are up for a ride then you should join us!

Mikie, UPSed and El Immigrante like this.
  12. @UPSed

Ed,

This is a training ride for @Mr.All-is-on just like how I was taught by mentor back in '10 so we won't be going at your pro pace. lol HOWEVER, it sounds like @TomF is a beast and so is my other guest, Matthias Korge so you guys are welcome join us and do your own fast paced ride. The plan is that when we return back to the trail head, we'll likely hit Backbone to Encinal too.

We're meeting at T1 at 8:30ish.

littlewave and Mikie like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @TomF - Never EVER join a ride this man posts. You will learn to hate mt. biking in a hurry! o_O

Mikie, Faust29, littlewave and 5 others like this.
  14. Mr.All-is-on

Mr.All-is-on Member

Name:
    Keith
    Current Bike:
    2017 Giant Reign SX
    TomF thank you for joining us. It was a pleasure meeting you and fun riding with you. I hope you enjoyed yourself. We'll see you see you soon my friend.

Mikie, TomF, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  15. As suspected, Tom is a beast. He held back and made it seem we're fast. lol

Pleasure meeting and riding with you Tom.

Mikie, TomF and herzalot like this.
  16. Mr.All-is-on

Mr.All-is-on Member

Name:
    Keith
    Current Bike:
    2017 Giant Reign SX
    El Immigrante thank you so very much for mentoring me. I sincerely appreciate your time that you take to spend and ride with me.

17. Thanks brother. You're improving by leaps and bounds!

MrGreedom and Mikie like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Awwwwww.... ^^^^^^^^ That's so sweet! BRO HUG!! :thumbsup:

MrGreedom and Mikie like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Woohoo, bike stoke...

@TomF, thanks for posting the ride. Hope to hit some dirt with ya soon. Welcome to AYE EM TEEBEE TRAILS : )

Mikie likes this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's "Aye - Empty-bee Trails!"

Mikie likes this.
  21. Stop it. You're making me blush.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  22. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    What an awesome ride that was! Montalvo and Keith what can I say - thanks so much for having me along! It's was a nice challenging route and great fun riding with you guys. Hope we can do it again soon.

Mike, cheers dude - and yes absolutely - I'm always up for riding so lemme know!

Anyone out tomorrow??! ;)

MrGreedom, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  23. I was out but hiking/trail running. ½ marathon+ hike with ~2,600 elevation gain for me today....with f@cking blisters! :mad:

MrGreedom and TomF like this.
  24. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Good effort. I ended up going out with Hans and the OTB guys up the Chilao. Great ride and absolutely brutal - those guys are faaaasast!

25. Hahahaha...told ya! Those guys mean business! Good to hear you hooked up with a group that can climb at your pace.

Mikie, MrGreedom and TomF like this.
  26. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Lol, yeah I've ridden with Hans before. As in say hi at the trail head; I take the direct trail he starts on an extra credit section and still beats me to the summit.
    The OTB guys are a nice crowd from what I've met, they are both riders and trailbuilders.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Yes they're a great group of guys. Montalvo - I'd love to say I was their pace but I wasn't, and was just trying hard to hold on! I don't think I slowed them down too much but it wasn't easy. Great fun though and Chilao has some crazy technical stuff with giant rocks everywhere. Well worth a visit.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?