Anyone know this guy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cornholio, Apr 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Some peeps have already posted that in the comments to his latest video.

2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Gonna hit some murrieta trails w a local tomarrow...
    Im sure he will take us on legal trails only

3. I would never mention the name of a secret surf spot, fishing spot, MTB trail, dive bar, massage parlor, poker game or other shadey endeavor.... but....

The idea that any of the illegal and barely survivable/rideable trails in the Laguna area are “secret” and will be better or exist longer without mention on strava/mtbr/FB/YouTube is silly. They are easy to find by just watching people ride by and enforcement is zero.

I did originally find Car Wreck years ago by watching a YouTube vid, so maybe i am full of poo

4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Skateboarding is not a crime.

5. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    YouTube? I thought all the cool kids were posting on Vimeo and Pink Bike only.

6. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    He’s not clueless. Saw this video the other day where he leaves the identity of the trail out of the description.

Grassblade23, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    First off, that trail is NOT in SoCal, it's located in Trinidad Colorado, everyone knows that! Second, it is not the gnarliest trail in SoCal (that makes sense, right?) :Roflmao

8. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    So about these trails, are they unsanctioned? Hiking only? Made without permission? What exactly makes them illegal? Or are they just trails that are hush hush more locals only....

Should no one be riding them? I don't really know much about the situation out there.... Just curious.

Mikie likes this.
  9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @Derkderkall, the trails in question are in a legal riding area, but not part of the official park map and are illegal for all users. Only the county or state have a say in which trails are legal or not in that area.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Not silly. Social media is the primary reason these trails are on the radar. From dozens of runs per month to hundreds and perhaps even thousands.

And Car Wreck is legal, 'though it wasn't until about 2010.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just because others have already done it doesn’t make it ok in my opinion (posting trail names that shouldn’t be posted). The more followers guys like this get the more they are bumped up the google ladder which in turn makes these trails even more open for scrutiny.

Go ahead, post the video, but don’t label the trail names in the video title or description is all I’m asking. Then again, these dudes seem to get off on riding in masses like those street bike riders do so the problem isn’t going away.

The more is not always the merrier. I still think the guy is a DB and am sure the guys who built and maintain those trails would feel the same.

12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    So now i know why some dont talk about certain trails...
    Wow....

13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Curious what you are really trying to say here? Wow as in people shouldn’t care or wow that people are ruining it for others?

mtnbikej likes this.
  14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Wow as in that trail was awesome.. but now i know why people dont really talk about it bc it was on private property but allowed

mtnbikej likes this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yeah..off topic.. my bad

mtnbikej likes this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Haha.. i just read ur post corn.. mine was after urs but just coincedence..

Cyclotourist and Cornholio like this.
  17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    All good, I didn’t post this thread to quarrel with you guys... just not a fan of dudes putting videos out there of trails that shouldn’t be.

I have yet to hear/read a legitimate argument as to why it is ok for a video to include the name of an off menu trail. Anyone who thinks that we should all be posting this kind of information out there for the masses to see can kiss my rear. We have enough issues to deal with already and I think these social media hoes don’t help any. If you want to learn about new trails than go explore some, don’t rely on YouTube for directions... that’s a poor excuse/counter argument.

18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    So you condone it? Again, just because someone else does it doesn’t make it right or a reason to follow suit. That’s the issue with today’s “look at me” social media crowd.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  19. F@ck no. I never would. My point is that it’s much bigger problem then some DB on YouTube. The pros are worse. I found a new one in my hood the other day that i never would have ever seen if it was not for a local pro who strav’d it.

20. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Two wrongs don’t make a right. Just because he’s a small dude on YT doesn’t mean it won’t have an impact. Someone mentioned before that they know this guy or know of him and his group of friends, who ride in big groups. Exactly what we don’t need in our local parks.

Call me racist but I don’t care because I’m not a snowflake and there seems to be a huge influx of these very large groups of asian dudes at county parks on weekends. There, I said it. Not saying there hasn’t or isn’t groups of other cultures out there but what I’ve seen with my own eyes doesn’t lie.

Redman, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  21. I think you should contact him via phone or snail mail and make it known that you and others do not appreciate him and his large groups disrespect for our local MTB culture/system of secrecy. Or whatever else you want to tell him.

22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Get me his phone or email and I will.

Actually, he posts his Strava links to all these rides in his videos so I’ll go that route. Thanks for the idea.

mtnbikej likes this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    He replied to a comment on one of his youtbe vids:

"Gordon Shumway what difference does it make if I put the name of the trail or not? None of these are secret trails."

So he knows what he is doing.

Like you said earlier.....it's all about the "look at me". I mean why bother listing the other riders and the bikes they are riding.

24. I’m following on strava now and he even bothers to name all the trails in the tittle of each ride. One things for sure, his stoke is undeniable

Redman likes this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Its gonna bite him in the ass eventually.

mtnbikej likes this.
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yep, I’m over it. He’s just part of the #lookatmetoo movement.

Now I regret using my real name, Cornholio, on here because it makes me look like a hypocrite.

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't see hypocrisy. You haven't posted a "look at me riding these off-menu trails.." video, even on our little forum, and I doubt you do on STRAVA.

28. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    What does being "Asian" have to do with anything?

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Good question - why are the really large groups of riders usually all the same ethnicity?

SnakeCharmer, Obsidian and Cornholio like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?