Anyone else NOT running a dropper post?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CarlS, Jan 18, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    So how many of us left are there?

I went on a group ride the other night and I was the only one with a fixed post and I started to think we are a dying breed. And then on another ride out at Keller I got caught up with a group and a guy told me to make sure my seat was down for the next upcoming trail segment but I had to say "umm well... it doesn't go down"
    I guess maybe there is a little bit of pride when you manage to ride a somewhat gnarly trail like Insidious at Keller with the seat bouncing off your chest on the way down. However, when I do trails like that I seriously start to consider buying one.

I'm actually on the fence about this. I have survived for a very long time without one. And the times that I have demoed a bike with them it felt weird when it was down, and I had trouble remembering to put it back up soon enough to pedal again.

anyone else holding out on buying a dropper post?

Mikie, Faust29, Erik H and 6 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I will not be getting a dropper post. Don't need one for the riding I do on a XC hardtail.

xhuskr, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Just you CarlS.
    Ur the last one! ..:whistling:

Cisco Roots, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  4. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I don't have one and doubt I'll ever need one. Never been ashamed to walk what ever I have to either.
    My local trails have some chunk in them but I never felt the need for one.

Cisco Roots, Mikie, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use a dropper on my full suspension bike-Yeti 575. On my hardtail I run a Thompson Masterpiece with a quick release just in case.

Cisco Roots, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  6. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    well sometimes it feels that way!!!

Mikie and abuck55 like this.
  7. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    If that's the way you feel then don't get one. But give it a try more than once, drop it manually on your bike via seat clamp on a few longer extended steepish techy downhills. If it doesn't feel better and that you have more control, and you don't get dropped, then you are an alien and extremely gifted biker, and you don't need a dropper post. Save up for electronic shifting instead :x3: :)

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 5 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I do not have one on any of our bikes.

I did have one on the Tallboy for a while, however I took it off and went back to a regular post.

I don't even have a QR for my seatpost on my SS. But it really hasn't been a problem.

My wife tried a dropper on her Tallboy, and didn't like it....so we gave it away.

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 4 others like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have one, and really didn't use it. So I took it off. Thought about selling it.

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 3 others like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Never used one, didn't need it. But when I did get a dropper it took getting used to, now I find it actually helps the DH and I"m hooked. However, I only drop it a little never all the way.

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 6 others like this.
  11. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I don't but I know riders who do. There's something called gravity dropper which I'm not familiar with but the use case for it was multiple climbs and descents in same ride.

Actually I've been wondering about the dropper post as I usually drop my butt behind the saddle and over the rear wheel for parts of descents and to minimize rear tire skidding. Not sure how recommended this is or not.

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 2 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Channeling rossage... For a trail bike*, yes. Sheesh, I use a QR collar with a dropper. For a XC-centric ride, a QR collar at most.

* Ridden on steep and or tech terrain

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I very rarely get into any sort of technical riding... really all my rides can be done with thoughtful use of a cross bike. Not worth carrying around for the few times I need it. Plus I'm slow.

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The dude I rode with today didn't have one - the heathen! (Scan)

Thing is, I didn't need one for the type of riding I was doing - climb, stop at the top, put on pads, do the downs. Stop at the bottom. Re-group. Go to the next climb. Easy to put the saddle down and up at those stop points.

Then, I rode some trails that weren't distinctly one direction, with steep descents, follow by steep climbs - rinse, repeat. That's where the dropper shines.

I do not recommend slamming the saddle all the way down. Drop it one to three inches and use it for control. Look at DHers saddles. They are never slammed - especially Greg Minnaar, Steve Peat and Aaron Gwin.
    MinnaarPost.jpg

Of course, one time getting your balls "tickled" by a slightly high saddle might make you want to drop it a little further.

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 6 others like this.
  15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I was a hold out till a couple weeks ago. Didn't really think I would benefit from one as I could get my arse back behind the seat and ride down most anything. Also wasn't willing to accept the weight penalty thinking I would notice. After riding with enough others that did use them and staying close enough to study what they were doing and where they were dropping me like a bad habit I started to rethink and decided on a KS Lev Ti. My guts only allow me to go so fast but I can already see that changing. Also trying to get better at my chunky and technical riding and that's where I think it helps most. Now I just have to learn when to use it and when not to and which lever to push since I run a 2x drivetrain.

rojomas, Mikie, Danimal and 8 others like this.
  16. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    YEAH! Dropper less riders unite!!!
    I mostly don't want the weight penalty. I guess you don't know what you're missing if you've never had it.

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  17. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    luddite here!

Mikie, Faust29, abuck55 and 2 others like this.
  18. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    For me it's a safety issue. I spent years using the quick release to drop my post whenever I thought I needed to. I saw a buddy of mine on a ride with one of the first Crank Brothers droppers and I was sold. I've got them on both of my bikes now, yes, even my hard tail(it is a slack, 120mm fork HT though). I love being able to get the seat out of the way on tech down hills, and even on some tight switchbacks. It's saved my from going OTB a few times by being able to get my center of gravity down quickly.

MCB2K, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  19. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    It's gotten to the point for me that I drop the post on corners... used to be just for getting air, including bunnyhops, and getting my weight back and low for steep descents without getting jabbed in the nuts/gut/chest.

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  20. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    I have a manual dropper, I guess some of you call it a quick release. I for one would like a dropper and will be getting one on my FS bike when I get it. It's true you don't really "Neeeed" one but there are a lot of things on our bikes we don't "need".

21. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  22. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    I have to admit that I wanted a dropper ever since I found out about them. Now that I have one I use it a lot more than I probably should. Where I use it most though is in the corners. I find that it's works great to lower your center of gravity in the turns and just gives you more feeling of control since you're not so high on your bike. But if speed is not your thing I don't really see the benefit of using one.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I like reading all of the different perspectives above... As I sit here in frozen Buffalo clutching my coffee cup for warmth, and wondering if I should put on a 3rd pair of wool socks... Inside. :confused:

I still consider myself a newb... I haven't tried one yet. Most of my rides are alone on the hardtail, and I tend to be really conservative on the chunky stuff.

There have been two times recently, though, that I have dropped the seat using the quick release seat clamp. #1... When I rode with Mtnbikej, singlespeedrider, and another of J's friends on the Harding to San Juan ride. I felt lousy that day and bailed at West Horsethief, which I had climbed a few times, but never descended. I was a little loopy when I started down, so I dropped the seat 3-4 inches. I didn't clear any of the switchbacks, but I was able to ride most of the trail down, which was a pleasant surprise, as it's mostly an uphill HAB.

Occasion #2... The San Gabes ride a few weeks ago. When I heard the description of the Middle Merrill Trail, I knew it would be a good idea to drop the seat... And it was! With the lower seat and with a couple riders to follow, I made it through more than I would have otherwise. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I'll buy one... Maybe if I ride a lot more unfamiliar territory this year. Plus sized tires and a dropper post...Hmmmmm?

Doc Holliday, Luis, ridinrox and 6 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Doooo eeeeet! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Faust29, Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  25. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    I thought I could get away without one on my current bike. One drop down Chutes and I was shopping for one.
    For XC riding where you can rise off the saddle I can get away without one but as soon as I have to take the up and over the saddle position I really like them.
    Oh, and my legs are the same height as a Corgi so that doesn't help.

Capture.JPG

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Corgi, haha...

I don't see it so much as getting the seat out of the way, but getting it low to keep it where you want it between your thighs. I'll never ride like a pro, will never own those skills, so am okay with doing things a bit differently when I'm on stuff that's steep for me. I'm going way slower, where it's much easier to OTB, so I compensate by getting back.

I like thinking about the marketing meeting wherein the Joplin nomenclature was adopted for the CB dropper when I'm riding Joplin : )

Faust29, Luis, ridinrox and 3 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Ha hah hah hah! Legs like a Corgi! Funny...vewy funny!^^^

I was a hold out on Droppers. I had much discussion regarding them over on STR when it was alive and well. I don't (at least didn't) need a dropper. I bragged about having the ability to drop the crazy descents without a dropper. In fact I did Joplin the first time with @mike without a dropper. I thought having a dropper assisted in losing your Man-Hood! o_O

One day I was up in Keysville riding with @jfsh, @Tom the Bomb , and Kiwi Mike. We had just finished "Just Outstanding" and were going to do some "extra credit" on some non disclosed sections of singletrack sweetness.
    Now Jeff Sherman (@jfsh) is a great rider and is much respected by others. To me, he is a Keysville legend... (I'm serious dahmeet!) He digs the large rock rollers, Log drops and jumps, things I'm warming up to more and more.
    At one point he leans over to me before the next section and he says, "Mikie, you may want to drop your seatpost about 3 inches for this next section. It will be a whole lot more fun!"

WHAT he said, and HOW he said it made the cash register finally ding in my head.... MORE FUN!

So I did. I dropped it all the way down (which was a 3 inch drop) and I promptly had the funnerest (<--The most fun anyone can have) descent I ever had!

For me, I realized that Mountain Biking is all about camaraderie, self accomplishment, and . . . . fun. I know I can ride without one but why, if I am having more fun with it.

So I bought a Gravity Dropper LP that drops my seat 1", and 3", and never looked back. I initially took a lot of flack for it because I used to talk a LOT of schmack talk about how droppers made you less of a man. :whistling:
    But I am having so much more fun riding the crazy schit we ride, that I don't care anymore!

Get one for the fun of it.
    That's my advice!

...and Bike On!

jfsh, rojomas, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  28. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Riding with a fixed seatpost reminds me of riding a singlespeed. You can make it work out of its ideal areas, but you're going to be limited to going a certain intensity/pace and possibly experiencing some pain (ex. seated pedaling with too low of a seatpost height hurting your knees). Then there's some ego involved too, where you feel good about yourself when you keep up with others on better equipped bikes, especially if you get them to notice and hear them say something along the lines of them finding it amazing or hard to believe that you did that singlespeeding/high-posting. In the end, if you're not some sort of a masochist, you tend to preferentially take routes that are more friendly to your setup, and in a fixed seatpost rider's case, that tends to not be up and down hilly flowy stuff, or optional fun stuff on the side of the trail that involve jumps, hopping over logs, etc.

If I didn't want to try something cause the penalty for failure was higher due to clipless, shitty tires, shitty suspension, air pressure too low, seatpost too high, no body armor, etc. I'd basically be excusing myself for being an old, cheap, tired, and boring wuss of a man. What's keeping people from remedying such excuses so they can properly face some challenges?

CarlS, Faust29, Luis and 2 others like this.
  29. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Relative novice perspective: My friends all ride with droppers and I ride with a dropper. They just work. These are the benefits that I see... and they are varied. Down big drops as others have said. Into turns as others have said. Through tight flowy sections as others have said. Here are two more aspects of the dropper use that I really like: (1) Super long descent on a super long ride, I like to get really low in the saddle, put the saddle all of the way down and grip it with my thighs... a la Suzanne Somers and the "thigh master" this gives me really good control, relieves fatigue on my back by giving me a new position, relieves pressure on my leg muscles, lets me get really aero (wind resistance matters... even in dirt) and saves watts all around; (2) also on a really long ride, it allows me to get a few half inches of adjustment here and there when I am really fatigued and need to shift positions for muscle relief.

As soon as I drop down to my 1984 road race weight of 165 pounds, then I have to worry about an extra 14 ounces (or whatever)... but as a fifty year old who is not near race weight, there are other easier places to shave ounces (looking at belly).

My two centavos.

Strand.

Grassblade23, herzalot, Luis and 3 others like this.
  30. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Oh... one more. On a super steep fire road climb (like a section of what Scan and Herz did out of Rattlesnake yesterday) when you are laid out over your front bars... just trying to keep the front wheel from drifting... you can use the dropper to make sure that your anus is not being penetrated by the nose of your seat... or if you are into that sort of thing (for control and power purposes only) then you can center the seat nose perfectly to be cupped by your sensitive area. Basically, you can find your happy cadence, and use your dropper to have the nose of the seat help you get through the climb.

Doc Holliday likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?