Anyone already own arms or buying arms?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Maderas84, Apr 3, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I think you’d find the 27.5” barrel to be far more flickable and playful.

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    My son's like that....he actually enjoys going out and shooting long range. He has a .308 and .338 Lapua. He hits (1) gallon milk jugs from 400 yards. I used to shoot 5-6 times a year because the department gave us free ammo and wanted us to practice. Other than that, I only shot to qualify. I qualified with my AR15 and never shot it again. My son once told me when he was 5 years old..."I don't know why you bother taking a gun to work, you never shoot it".

I've been to several officer survival courses in the past and shot all kinds of fully automatic firearms, one magazine full was the standard routine so if you held the trigger wide open, you were done in a few seconds. :facepalm: I like the shorter bursts to extend my time. They had a .50 cal at one class and we shot a car from a few hundred yards. Like I said, it was fun for 5 rounds I guess.

OTHRider, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Remington 1100 w/ some buckshot to slow them down while you have enough time to grab your pistola to finish them off .

mtbMike, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Dead works. The rezt can be cleaned.

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh:

Mikie, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Ditto that:Roflmao

Mikie, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  7. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I should pass this to my husband..he’s a collector as well as our two boys, they go out shooting all the time which is awesome. My brother is law enforcement..he’s a serious collector, myntwin sister has a license to carry as she’s out on long horseback rides solo, stepdad was military special forces, so us kids grew up around guns and learned to shoot early on. IMO, guns aren’t the problem, it’s the gun owners who don’t practice enough to know their weapons well, which can be problematic :confused:
    I feel very safe having a gun around, the hubby even brings his 44mag on our ANF hikes. :thumbsup::inlove:

Stkx66, Faust29, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am not surprised... fits the persona quite well. :thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  9. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I understand both sides to this issue Herz, I know you see the other side of the coin on this :thumbsup:

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That wasn't a statement in any kind of way, other than it fits your rural lifestyle. Don't forget, I did high school in a very, very rural setting too. I had a 30/30 in my gun rack in my truck at school. I have no problem with gun ownership. Reasonable guns. For hunting or personal protection.

OTHRider, Faust29, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It’s better than BEING all over your walls or intact on your floor...

12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Oh I know! You’re good:thumbsup:

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I think we grew up in similar environments. My high school parking lot was full of trucks with gun racks in the rear windows. There was actually a school run shooting club at my high school that met once a month, and on those days you'd see guys walking the halls with rifles. Hell, hunter safety was a P.E. requirement. My dad owned a couple shotguns, but I can't recall ever seeing him fire one. Somewhere along the way I became pretty anti-gun, but over the course of the last year or so I've had a growing compulsion to purchase, and learn to really shoot, and properly own a gun. Ultimately, I doubt it will actually materialize though. Concealed carry sounds like an uncomfortable PITA, and I just couldn't be bothered. The odds of having one positioned in the house safely out of reach from a mischievous 10 year old, yet accessible enough to quickly mount a successful defense against a home invasion seem so minuscule that I don't know that I'll ever go through the rigamarole of the whole process. I guess I sort of wish guns had been more a part of my upbringing that it was just second nature to have one, or some, but it wasn't, and that's probably just fine too. Coronavirus certainly doesn't have me thinking about going Chris Kyle here in the wilds of Calabasas though.

14. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Received a call from the shop telling me that although the order was placed and everything showed in stock, the volume of purchases made at the same time I made mine was so high that my order queue was behind others whose orders were minutes ahead of mine. :cry: :(:eek:
    No arms for me, for now.

15. Lenz Rider

Lenz Rider Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    ernesto
    Current Bike:
    Lenz PBJ
    I can't own a firearm. I spent 2 yrs in Juvy for shooting someone. He didnt die though.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Good to know...

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
  18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Go back and order something thats in stock in the store. I'm thinking you looked at it and held it. Why wouldn't they sell you the one you saw. I call BS on the store.

When I bought guns they put the one away for the waiting period, no ordering. Mini 14, 40 rnd banana clips and folding stock, loved that gun,so much fun to shoot. That is once waiting periods started...before that cash and carry.

I recall as a child my father ordered a handgun mail order, no background check. Like ordering a pair of pants.
    Lots of German firearms available that the GIs brought back from WW2.

19. Lenz Rider

Lenz Rider Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    ernesto
    Current Bike:
    Lenz PBJ
    Yeah I learned my lesson, almost 2 years in a reform school in miserable (sorry if anyone lives there, Fresno) Lets say I was the only asian there, too.

Mikie, Sidewalk, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  20. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I would kinda like to hear (read the story).

back on the subject of gun purchases. Every time I consider buying a gun I see the price and realize I'd rather spend the money on something else like bike parts.

Mikie, Luis, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.
  21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    That's good. Now you can start from scratch and buy yourself a revolver and/or semi auto shotgun....two guns that will never fail you. If you really want a bad-ass shotgun, check out the Key-Tec Bullpup type shotguns. https://wbtguns.com/sales-items/kel-tec-rdb-defender-16-california-legal-223-5-56/ In the unlikely event that you actually need to fire your weapon at somebody, odds are it will be INSIDE your house. The Bullpup style is much more compact (31") and maneuverable in hallways and moving thru doorways. Try that with a Barrett 416 that is 24" longer and close to 25 pounds heavier.

Mikie, mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  22. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I think I mentioned this before, maybe over on the STR site. 20 something years ago, in SoCal, at Brea Olinda High School (not rural at all), the OC Adult Education program held a super cool gunsmith class in the evenings. My buddy and I took the class for 3 or 4 years. As machinists & FFL holders we were able to do some advanced stuff to make the weapons safe, smooth and accurate.

It still seems VERY strange that we were able to drive onto campus with firearms, walk into class with firearms and be in a public, Orange County high school setting with firearms. Not only was it legal, but the cute gals in the sewing class next door always came over to chat during breaks. I miss those days......

Redman, Mikie, Oaken and 9 others like this.
  23. Robbie

Robbie Guest

I have always thought a shotgun is good insurance for the random meth head/deranged homeless/home invader/9.0 mega quake aftermath one hopes we never have to deal with. So I chose the worst possible time to get one. A couple weeks ago went to a local shop. Line of a dozen people doing same kind of thing. I said I wanted 18" barrel Mossberg or Remington, or similar, which I knew from my limited research were about $350-450. They had nothing in stock. They said we can get you this HR pump for $350 on pre-order...it will arrive in a week. I said OK, not knowing the brand but thinking it was similar. Googled it a couple days later and found I was price gouged ($350 for a $200 gun). I went back, said I wanted to cancel, employee said gun pre-orders and sales are non-refundable...stood in line again to talk to the owner, he said supply and demand blah-blah, but would refund (for a $25 restock fee). Since I had already spent all this time and effort and had the paperwork going I decided to just go ahead with it. I could not find one elsewhere in stock. I could have gotten one from out of state maybe, but would have to have it shipped to a dealer and figured with all the fees and CA gun laws hassle I wouldn't be saving much. Also my wife reluctantly agreed given the pandemic weirdness, she had strongly opposed gun in the house when I brought it up a few years ago, so I thought might as well go ahead while she concurs. It arrived last week and I'm on the 10 day wait/background check. For all their patriotic paraphernalia festooning the store, this gun shop is the worst example of profiteering I have seen.

24. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Just a note to everyone rushing out and panic buying: you know how we don’t like it when people ride e-bikes where they aren’t permitted? I’d rather have 10000 ebikes do donuts on my lawn than to have one Covidiot discharge firearms just for jollies.

just because you can’t see anyone, doesn’t mean they aren’t there. The California desert is not your personal gun range.

Learn how and where to use these tools properly. Panic is the enemy of proper firearms safety.

Spend more on your gun safe than you do on your firearm.

And for goodness sakes, don’t share the whereabouts of your new arsenal with the criminals stalking the internet.

that is all.

doublewide, kazlx, mike and 13 others like this.
  25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Preach :thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej and mountaingirl sara like this.
  26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    For anybody else that is interested in purchasing a firearm and finds yourself in Robbie's position, you can purchase a firearm from a private party through a website named www.armslist.com or from a myriad of nationwide dealers on a website named www.gunbroker.com - keep in mind that the transaction still needs to be processed by a local dealer or FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. They usually charge a 10% processing fee (or a minimum of $50) for the service on top of the DROS records fees charged by the State of CA. The local dealer of FFL holder is also required to collect sales tax.

I've never used Armslist but as a private party, I would definitely use them if I wanted to sell one of my firearms. I've used Gunbroker on numerous occasions and usually save 15-20% off MSRP. If you go that route, Gunbroker has a search function for you to find FFL holders near you. Another important caveat of Gunbroker is many, Many, MANY out of state dealers will NOT ship to California due to all of our anti-firearms legislation in this state. **Lastly, there are many firearms from reputable manufacturers that you have heard of even if you hate guns (GLOCK for example) that make firearms that are not CA legal so do your research**!!!

27. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    EXCELLENT POST!!!!

Mikie, Sidewalk, Luis and 5 others like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have had my Baretta 92 for years, same model I fired when I was active duty. But, no, I have no need or desire for more weapons.

And all this Sh!t with people buying first time, or more, just makes me worried about all the idiots out there with guns who don't know how to handle them, or will be easily stolen and be on the streets in the future.

The odds of you successfully defending yourself with a gun are so stupidly low, I don't even engage in the argument. Everyone is a god damn Dirty Harry on the internet, and yet people who routinely train can't hit their targets in close quarters situations with high capacity magazines. What makes you think you are special? I'm not. I'm a pretty mellow person, work well under pressure. I can hit a target pretty well too. But all that disappears when you are being shot at. And as soon as someone knows you are armed, it is now a "you are me" situation. I find out you are armed, I am killing you first. If you aren't armed, I am willing to talk. If you aren't emotionally prepared to kill at a moments notice, the gun is making you a target, not safer.

tick, Mikie, pperrelle and 7 others like this.
  29. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Agreed 100%.

As I said before, I've never liked firearms and still don't but I'm not sure if that's the case for all the "new" buyers.

I simply want a couple to protect myself and my family should someone force their way into my house. That is all.

Mikie likes this.
  30. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Sorry, but if someone has broken into my house I’m, not taking the chance that they are here to “talk”. I will be armed and I will be pulling the trigger if I feel myself or my family is being threatened.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?