Anyone already own arms or buying arms?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Maderas84, Apr 3, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    I've never owned arms and only fired a shotgun a few times while out in the dunes or desert riding. I've never liked arms, tbh.

However, given the current state of affairs, my CHP neighbor took me out to buy arms and I ended buying a 1) Benelli M4 H2, 2) Sig Sauer P226 Emperor Scorpion and 3) Barrett M82A1 416 Manganese Phosphate 29" fluted barrel.

Although not yet in my posession, I have to admit that I feel more safe and comfortable knowing I'll have these in my hands soon. Will I get rid of them after life returns to 'normal', perhaps. For now, I take comfort that I have something to help protect my family should the need arise.

As soon as I receive them, he's taking me to the range to learn how to shoot.

I'll post pics when I receive them.

kthnxbye.

2. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Yes and yes. I shoot on the semi-regular with friends and co-workers. Keep me in mind if the Sig 226 needs a home...

You have good taste....

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I own two, and I am not planning on buying more. My left one is still a bit sore from my crash however. :whistling:

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Arms, pfff. I’m wiring explosives to my stash of TP. It might kill me and my family but at least those motherfuckers won’t keep my butthole from being tidy. Which is the main thing during times like these.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

You two are killing me! :Roflmao

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Lifelong gun owner, so I have no problem with them... I don't shoot much anymore, and I've given most to a close family member.

People are still relatively polite in this... Wait until there's zero food and we're all in the dark with no water, and there is no-one to call. Then I'd recommend a slug in the chamber of the Benelli followed by several OOs. If you miss with the first, you won't with the second.

The only time I ever felt the need to keep one close at hand, though, was during our hurricane strikes- Three in 6 weeks. :confused: There were zero services (communications, police, fire, rescue, water, gas, electric, shopping, and anything else that required power or movement) for weeks on end. And it was 130 in our house... Looting of occupied and unoccupied houses (hard to tell the difference). Construction scams were rampant and most communities had signs threatening vigilante justice...

This situation is still like club med... We have water, power, food, and roofs over our heads.

7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This got an actual LOL.

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I've always had firearms and shot the regularly. But not so much anymore.

During the LA riots we kept a loaded shotgun behind the work counter and I carried a baretta 380 everywhere I went.

We had a steel warehouse with steel doors at work. Moved everything of any value into it and welded the doors shut.
    Front building was broken into, and they tried to get into the warehouse but no luck. When we returned a cutting torch was needed to enter.

@Faust29 , haven't been through that and hope never to experience it. LA riots were bad enough. What's it tell me? People suck. We should have a people.suck thread...:whistling:

9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I'm going to assume @Maderas84 is kidding as that's $11-14,000 worth of firearms for a guy that's supposedly not into guns and has only fired a shotgun in the desert? If not, his CHP buddy is definitely throwing him into the deep end from the get go. For anybody else that's never shot a firearm, do yourself a favor and buy a revolver. If you really want a shotgun, save your money and get a Remington or Mossberg.

I will say that a Barrett would be cool to shoot....for about 10 rounds. Not sure why your CHP pal didn't just get you have something more useful for the zombies https://wbtguns.com/semi-auto-rifles/fn-m249-para-california-legal-5-56-fde/

10. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    No sir. I'm an over-the-top guy and usually buy the higher end models of whatever I buy. Experience has taught me to buy a higher quality of everything I buy because it pays off in the long run.

Cars & trucks- biggest, most powerful motor and model offered by the manufacturer. Same applies to tools, etc.

You should see my bikes. LOL Luis & Postal Pat will tell you...top-of-the-line. I try not to skip out on quality whenever possible.

10k is a small price to pay for reliable security should I ever need it. I hope I never do.

11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Well, a Barrett 416 is certainly 'over the top' as I can't think of a single scenario where it would be useful "given the current state of affairs"....unless you have a plethora of land and plan on shooting people from 1000 yards away which would pretty much never be legal in our state. Since your post is legit, out of the 3 firearms you bought, I suggest acquainting yourself with the shotgun as much as possible. Just "knowing how to shoot" with a semi-automatic like the Sig 226 is not sufficient *IF* the sh*t really hit the fan and you were in a stressful situation, much less where somebody was actually shooting at you as well.

12. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I can understand the Sig, and maybe the Benelli(although there are much cheaper options that are just as reliable), but the Barrett is overkill unless you have an extremely loooooooong driveway that you're trying to protect. :) Would be fun to shoot at a range though.

13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    oh yeah.... I own and I am buying.... more. Another great thing about Nevada!!!!!

15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    AR-15 .223 with bump-stalk. I just made that up. Is that an actual gun and would it be a good choice for taking out the TP gangsters, burglars, robbers, thieves, and dealers ?

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :laugh::thumbsup:

17. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    We were evacuated during the Canyon 2 fire. We packed all the important stuff up, sent the wife and kids off, and my sheriff neighbor and I hung out overnight, as the evac wasn’t being enforced and folks were driving through unhindered. What was most instructive about that event was just how little of our stuff was worth trying to save. And the stuff we packed out is worthless to a looter.

I was taught that for protection, shotgun is the way to go. No need to aim, they make a nice distinct scary noise, and they work as a club.

thing is, you have to be willing to use it. Because if you show up holding a weapon, consider yourself a target. I lost more in the stock market last month than all my physical possessions, save for the land value under my house. There’s really nothing irreplaceable here besides some lives.

If someone shows up hungry I’ll give them a sandwich and a roll of TP and then lock the door and wash my hands for 20 seconds.

OTHRider, MrGreedom, scan and 12 others like this.
  18. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Cripes on a crutch people, get a fcuking grip.

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yes. No.

If you want an effective deterrent it's hard to beat a .357 Magnum. Almost 100% one-shot stop rate.

20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Agreed but when someone enters your home in the middle of the night and wakes you up from a deep sleep you're going to have a better chance of hitting the subject with a shotgun.

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'm a ninja.....they won't see or hear me. :ninja:

22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I was born and raised around them so I may or may not have a couple. Never had one go off by itself either. Dad collected antiques and he's gone now. Couple of em are civil war era. One in particular is an 86 caliber black powder musket. Powder is measured by the handful and the lead ball weighs over 1-1/4 ounces. Tree branches of 5" diameter or less can be removed without a saw. There might be something a little more modern around too. As a teen I used to go trout fishing in the local streams with my 12 gauge.

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You mean like Jack and the Bump-Stalk?

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    ^^^ This...

When you are truly about to lose your home, you figure out real quick what's important and what's not. The truly important stuff fits in a small lock box and a couple hard drives. Everything else is stuff.

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That sounds along the lines of the 8 gauge I shot... Once. It was an old duck gun that the farmer down the road had. Pretty sure it was supposed to be mounted to something and not shoulder fired. :p

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yes and always...
    I have a nice variety.
    I’m one for the Mossberg and have a pump 12 gage.

To be honest, if you are buying self protection and then thinking of selling after this crisis, I want to become your best friend. Meaning, buy guns to keep guns. Nothing wrong with guns. But just having them means nothing. Get out and practice, practice, practice! You should know your self defense in your sleep. @mtbMike will tell you most self defense moments are just that... moments. Knowing that tool and not knowing some basics like, never point unless you plan on pulling the trigger, and understanding the consequences if you ever do. Are you willing to go to jail, because even if you are in the right, your going to jail... at least for a day or longer as they sort things out.

I have plenty of self defense courses under my belt and though I’m not saying I’m an expert, but I’m serious enough that both Cathy and I have specific insurance for if either of us decide to point our weapons and stick our finger in the trigger guard.

Keep your guns, get some training, consider a CCW so you are not limited to safer at home scenarios.

My vote? Good on you!
    Just my two cents...

OTHRider, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  27. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I just shoot because I enjoy it.

The truly important 'stuff' worth defending aren't things. Any object is replaceable.

I'd love to say the Barrett is overkill, but that's jealousy talking. Damn I'd love to own that as well, but way out of my league. IMO not as 'practical' in any real defense situation, but distance shooting is by far my favorite as far as fun & satisfaction go.

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Agreed. For me self defense only means protecting life.

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It makes an awful mess though, doesn’t it?

Not to be crude but do you want the dead intruder TP thief in your home all over your walls or intact on the floor?

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  30. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I have a Daisy 500 shot repeater. I'll shoot their eye's out with that thing.

Oaken, Stkx66, OTHRider and 12 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?