Anybody Else Appalled by the Trash We're Accumulating?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by fos'l, Jun 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I've been having groceries delivered lately, "co"-related necessity, and ordered two boxes of ice pops. They were delivered each individually packed in very thick, insulated bags which were then placed in another thick, insulated, reflective bag. Yikes! And no more ice pops.

Danmtchl, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  2. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    That’s why we stopped doing Amazon Fresh delivery. Way too much waste with the insulated bags for cold stuff. Now that we’re back at work at our retail jobs we’re just going shopping in person. Unfortunately the Ralph’s in Laguna Beach a block from my house is not being diligent with the mask wearing requirement for customers. Tip: if subway’s Grocery delivery is still going on, it’s not very wasteful because of the large quantities in each package. Like a 2 month supply of bacon!
    Starting to see lots of discarded masks everywhere.

scan, Danmtchl, mike and 6 others like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    God made the earth for people to prosper. The animals are for people to eat and leverage to till the soil and grow more food. This is natural because it exists. Everything is fine. Don’t go to work. Just ride your bike.

scan, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  4. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    and I meticulously separate the trash from the recyclables, like removing the staples from spam fliers, only to see the trash trucks
    dump all 3 containers (trash, recycles, green waste) when no one is looking. Yea, I still do it just because they won't...

Danmtchl, mike, fos'l and 6 others like this.
  5. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    We've noticed the same thing. I think it's a safety thing, they've stpped sortingtsorting at the facility?

Danmtchl, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I could not agree more, it’s just appalling! We don’t touch plastic water bottles in this household. But like you, when I get home from Costco etc..there is so much packaging waste:facepalm:

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don't move...

I've broken down at least 200 moving boxes over the last couple months. Some of them were the really heavy thick kind. I've also filled probably 75 lawn bags with paper. o_O

Ordering our next "special pickup" now...

Danmtchl, herzalot, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    We use Sunbasket, Thrive, and Butcher Box for food delivery service. Not only do they have full organic clean food options. ALL OF THEIR PACKAGING IS 100% RECYCLABLE. The cardboard box, the plastic freezers bags and liners and even the contents inside the freezer bags... all recyclable! The contents in the freezer bags are cotton and water. They recommend recycling the plastic bag and throwing the water soaked cotton into a compost. WIN! Yes, it is a lot of packaging. But, at least its all recyclable.

9. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    They trashed the recycling bins over a decade ago because it was no longer profitable to sort (labor cost) the recycling bins to recycle. When I saw it, I did a google and the city of NB also had the same issue long before. Now it's probably common practice...

So even if they don't mix the bins at pickup, when they get to their dump site all of it goes into the trash pile anyway.

mtnbikej, scan, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I saw a mountain lion poop on the Josephine fireroad, right at the bottom by the water tank.
    It had a plastic energy bar wrapper in it.:(
    People suck.:mad:

mtnbikej, scan, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    We are a trashy species. Heck I’m gonna get trashed tonight!

Danmtchl, Stkx66, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  12. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    there are documentaries on recycled goods that used to get shipped to the far east and most of the time, they are simply burned as fuel,
    not even recycled. They've long stopped accepting recycled shipments so now it's just trash.

Knowing this, I still sort... :-(

scan, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Don't give up the good fight. We still sort as well. It always burns me when I take out the trash and see that barely any of my neighbors use their recycle trash container. Ours is always full to the brim.

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I can't believe the amount of wasted cardboard I see every day. Just today I delivered 7 boxes to my CVS. Each 18×12×12 box had maybe 2-3 bottles of medication inside. It was all coming from the same distribution center!

mtnbikej, scan, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  15. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    in my past life, I used to purchase 100+ computers every year. They used to come in 3 separate boxes per system: CPU, monitor and stand. Huge waste of cardboard and all that styrofoam, not to mention the labor to unpack and take them out to the bins spread out over many weeks... I and I'm sure many others complained and Dell eventually shipped in crates with minimal paddings. Over the decades, we've tossed/recycled 1000s of power cords and such that were never used.

mtnbikej, scan, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  16. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    When I was young I could get $1.08 for a hundred pounds of newspapers. I'd collect them in the neighborhood and someone would come by and pick them up. Now, many years later newspapers are worth about the same so nobody saves them anymore.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I just received a recently ordered desktop (tower only) from Dell. Cardboard box, two pieces of styrofoam to cushion, and FCC-required notices & quick setup guide (3 pieces of recyclable paper). I'd say Dell is keeping the packaging to the minimum required. Not long ago I got a monitor from HP. Same thing.

Anaheim is either really deceptive, or we really do have three separate trucks for trash, recyclables, and green waste, all powered by natural gas. They don't get them all at the same time.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The recycle bin doesn’t stink like the trash bin, so it doesn’t need to go out every week. The trash goes out whether it’s full or not.

19. mohammadinabearsuit

mohammadinabearsuit Member

Name:
    Mo
    Current Bike:
    Coconino 650B SS
    I got $40.00 per ton for newspaper in the 60's when I was a kid... a buck 08 sounds like a good deal!
    Of course, pop had to take 3 or 4 runs to the recycler in the station wagon...

20. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    The Port of LA exports: #1 scrap steel. #2 scrap cardboard. Some people consume, some build. We used to build.

21. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Pretty good ($2 per 100 pounds). I made good money when an ice cream cone or soda was a nickle; not bad for a seven year old brat.

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  22. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I remember Thrifty had 1 scoop .05, two .10, three .15. I used to work for a nickel. Your ice cream is worth the same, the dollar is not. Printing unsupported currency is the best tax, nobody votes for it, it is applied equally across all people.

Runs with Scissors and fos'l like this.
  23. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    One year in the mid 1980's, after I got off from my day job I had a route worked out where I would go around to local office buildings and rescue the computer paper and white ledger that they had been throwing away before they realized the value of their trash. It was like shoveling free money into my van. Took in $ 10,000 that year.

mtnbikej, siata94, Stkx66 and 3 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Back in my day, we used to just eat the trash...

scan, UPSed and Old&InTheWay like this.
  25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    We used to burn it in a 55 gallon drum. It was pretty exciting watching my mom's Aqua Net cans explode!

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oh crap - that makes me remember that in my first two childhood homes we had a device called an "incinerator." We burned all paper/cardboard products in the incinerator. I thought all homes had one.