Another Shot at Wrightwood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Oct 21, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I have too many pics for the "I Rode My Bike" thread. :rolleyes:

After doing the Wrightwood 50 last weekend, @horsebikerider saw the pics and said it looked pretty out there. I knew my buddy Jeremy wanted to explore some of the trails, but wasn't up for the 50 miler. So I threw out a proposal for a shorter ride this weeknd in Wrightwood. Ended up being @horsebikerider , @Faust29 and Jeremy.

We rolled into town and stopped at Cinnamon's Bakery since we had time....yummy chocolate chip muffin.

The plan was to do the middle section of the WW50 route, skipping the Acorn Climb, and the Manzanita Loop. Figured it would be a 25'ish mile ride, with a decent amount of climbing. We would park at Mtn High West and head up through Mtn High to Blue Ridge Truck Trail. Kind of a tough climb straight outta the gate, but it mellows out. Temps were cool and the breeze made it feel cooler.

IMG_3119.JPG
    IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3121.JPG

Today it was all about the ride. We would just cruise, look at the sights and take our time.

IMG_3122.JPG

We went through Grassy Hollow Campground and got to the top of Logjammer. While standing around taking pics a guy rolls up and says "you might know some of the other guys". :cautious: :unsure: I look back and see some hooligans in IMTB jerseys. Up rolls @Mikie , @Voodoo Tom , @scan , @NewEnglander , @hill^billy . WTF?? Out of all the days and all the trails we could have ridden, we run into the northerners.

Turns out they are heading our way for a bit, so our foursome grew into an impromptu IMTB group ride. Down Logjammer was fast and flowy. Almost hit a hunter that was croutched down next to a bush on the trail...didn't see him til the last second.

IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG IMG_3125.JPG IMG_3126.JPG IMG_3127.JPG

Short climb over to Lerprechaun Valley Trail. Followed Suz down the trail. It's a fun trail, but even better since it was still fresh in my mind from last weekend. We made a quick regroup about 2/3rds the way down to make sure everyone took the correct fork. We all made it up to the fire road climb out. @NewEnglander was stopped with a chain issue. We all hit the fire road and started slowly climbing. Someone yelled back that there was a mechanical. I thought it was on Suz's bike so I went back....turns out there were talking about @NewEnglander . Rolled down the trail to lend a hand, but he was just finishing up. Extra credit climb back to the fire road. This climb is longer than it seems, but it goes by in short time. This dumps us out at Jackson Lake.

IMG_3128.JPG

We started the climb up to Boyscout Trail... @hill^billy , @Voodoo Tom and @horsebikerider took the scenic route up, while the rest of us took the Jackson Lake Trail up. The climb up Boyscout is a great climb. Not to steep, not too flat....narrow trail that gets narrower in spots. Again we just cruised.
    IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3133.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3136.JPG

At the top of Boyscout was where we would part ways with our Northern brothers. We still had a ways to go to get back to Mtn High. As fun as Boyscout is to climb, it is a blast to descend. Suz kept us in check on the way down.

Through Jackson Lake and up the Hwy a ways then into Appletree Campground. A few small climbs put us back at the bottom of Logjammer. We continued on to the Hwy again. A short time later we were back at the truck. However, we weren't done. Suz was done, but the rest of us still had extra credit to do. So Suz headed down to town where we would have lunch. The rest of us headed up Table Mtn. The climb up the road is short and steep, but quick. A short spin on the forestry road before a great run down East Table Mtn Trail. No hikers this time, so it was all out. Fast spin down the Hwy back into town, then burgers at the Yoeddler.

Good times out there today. Everyone had fun. Jerm and Suz really enjoyed the trails.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1240985810

Screenshot (41).png

Andy, RS VR6, ricke24 and 27 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    What a day!

That really has to be some of the best riding in Southern California... But there are no freebies up there! Climb to play!

Voodoo Tom, Grego, HBkites and 10 others like this.
  3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Shhhh

UPSed, Voodoo Tom, mike and 5 others like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    ^^^^^^^

scan, Voodoo Tom, mike and 3 others like this.
  5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Great Pics J!

mike, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Nice stash (um, the trails); nice ride! TFPU :thumbsup:

Mikie, Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.
  7. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Looks like a good route.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Picture Slot machine! "Just in Time" more stoke for this coming imtbtrails Wrightwood ride.... Yeah baby! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Thanks for rubbing it in...

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    You are so welcome. Just trying to promote the stoke! :thumbsdown::thumbsup::thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistling:

Tom the Bomb and UPSed like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Starting to see postings on Strava... the ride must be finishing up!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Most of us survived. Some of us better than others. Fun was had by all. There will be bruises.

Look for a proper ride report to be authored by our illustrious site leader when he gets home and finally gets out of his lycra nasties.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Redman and 10 others like this.
  13. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    They aren't painted on?

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, kioti and 5 others like this.