Another Rider Dies At Snow Summit

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by mtnbikej, Aug 29, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Coroner case 701506535
    On Friday, August 28, 2015, at about 3:30 PM, Anh Ngoc Hoang, a 44 year old resident of Irvine, was riding a mountain bicycle with a group of friends at the Snow Summit Bike Park, when he lost control and struck the ground, sustaining severe injuries. Hoang was transported by ambulance to Bear Valley Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead in the emergency room at 4:32 PM. [08/28/15 2250 VN]

coolbreeze, Makoto, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    RIP... been too many of these lately.

coolbreeze, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Oh no...

I feel like a broken record... Saying this way too often lately. I have nothing but thoughts and prayers for those he has left behind. May they find some peace.

coolbreeze, ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  4. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    So sad. My condolences to his friends and family. This is the 3rd counting one from last year. R.I.P MTB brothers.

coolbreeze, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    We called him Andy, was a good fried of a friend. I've ridden with him a number of times, most recently this January with a large group of his friends in LCWP. A very happy, friendly guy and good on the bike. Four young kids I think. It is always hard to hear of a fallen biker but when you can still picture his big smile, ugh. My heart aches for his family and friends.

coolbreeze, melster, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    You really never know when your number is up do you??

Enjoy life, your family, your friends and your passions bc it could be gone tomorrow (cliché as that sounds). Please don't place blame on the park, the rider or the other - Sh!t happens....period!!

My condolences........

Faust29, Mikie, SoCal_Rider and 4 others like this.
  7. oldmansd

oldmansd Newbie

Name:
    Brian Loudis
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC
    I was there at the scene to help. Very disturbing to see and realizing it could happen to anyone. It wasn't even on a super technical area, but a few small bumps on Westridge.
    If anyone knows info regarding the family or funeral arrangements, I would like to send a donation to the family.
    So sad. You just never know when it can happen....

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Speechless... and heartbroken.

~ Z ~, coolbreeze, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  9. John P

John P Guest

Really sad hearing about all the accidents lately. May he rest in peace.

coolbreeze, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. John NewMTNbiker

John NewMTNbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John
    Current Bike:
    Specialized Enduro
    Andy was a co-worker of mine in Newport Beach back in the mid 90s. What a wonderful person and friend he was. He truly loved his family, his profession, and this sport. We were supposed to ride together today (Sunday 8/30/15). I will miss him, but memories of him will be with me forever. Rest in peace Andy...

11. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Andy Hoang's Children Fund
    Dear Andy's Family, Friends, Co-Workers, and all who have known Andy,

In remembrance of Andy Hoang, we have setup an Andy Hoang's Children Fund for his four young children. Andy has touched so many people with his kindness and inviting spirit. It is hard to think he has left us unexpectedly and so soon.

Andy leaves behind his caring wife, Mindy, married for 13 years and four children Ashlyn, 12; Brandon, 11; Cate, 9; and Drew, 7. They do family activities nearly every week. They enjoyed bike rides to the beach, play dates with other families, and especially Church on Sundays.

more here: https://www.youcaring.com/mindy-hoang-422760#.VeOVzOLkOhc.facebook

12. net4n6

net4n6 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    tyler
    John,

I never cried so much in my life. I just broke down this morning on my way to work. Saturday morning never be the same for me.

Tyler

Danimal, Faust29, coolbreeze and 5 others like this.
  13. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Our prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends. .so very sad. .so sorry. .

Faust29, coolbreeze and Mikie like this.
  14. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    johnny b
    First pix is of Andy (right) and I at the end of the Luge run about 1 and half weeks ago (Tyler was there, but not in the photo). The following pix is the day he went to Snow Summit and the last 2 photos are of the location of the accident (Westridge trail). Andy has been a great friend and comrade for the last 25 years. He is pretty conservative on the DH and I was surprised when he invited me to Snow Summit. The accident happened on the Westridge trail where there was a couple of step downs. He must've been going too fast and launched harder than he can handle. He sent his wife a text telling her it was his last run of the day. I am deeply saddened of the loss of such a great person. He is always there to help anyone in need. He worked his ass off the last 10 years to make sure his family is secured if he were to go first. His wife has no ill will against the sport or his passion for mountain biking and has accepted that it was his time. I, on the other hand, have not. He has so much more to give. I will miss him always.

V__92DA.jpg

20150828_190951201_iOS.jpg

20150830_200113393_iOS.jpg

IMG_20150830_122937.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Ferdball, drew and 9 others like this.
  15. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Thank you coolbreeze/JB, Tyler, John and oldmansd for posting more info.

Mikie, coolbreeze and Faust29 like this.
  16. net4n6

net4n6 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    tyler
    Johnny... I have not accepted that was his time either. He's not only a friend. He's brother.
    IMG_0458.jpg

drew, Mikie, coolbreeze and 1 other person like this.
  17. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Oh man, these last few weeks at Snow Summit have been terrible. My condolences to his family and his friends here that have posted.

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am so heartbroken by this latest horrible tragedy. The pictures choke me up, and thoughts of his family are unbearable. We are not defying death, we are not extreme thrill seekers on the ragged edge of sanity, we are guys and gals who like to have fun on our bikes and take on a little speed and challenge once in a while. This wasn't Rampage, it was just another run down an intermediate trail on a beautiful summer day. Hard for me not to be angry. I don't buy into that "it was his time" philosophy, although I know we all have to do so to try to make some sense out of the senselessness. If he was hit by a motorist, would we say "it was his time?"

Thank you Coolbreeze for the photos. The joy in his face is something we can all relate to, and the shrine on the side of the trail is heart wrenching.

~ Z ~, MCB2K, Cisco Roots and 5 others like this.
  19. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    If riding takes me out some day, I hope that you guys celebrate me and not be angered or sad.

I didn't know you Andy but your smile is infectious!! Ride on brotha wherever that may be ....

~ Z ~, MCB2K, Cisco Roots and 4 others like this.
  20. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    :thumbsdown:So sad, prayers out to his family !!! Ride In Peace Andy !!!!!!
    next time I'll go to SS flowers are in order for this fallen Brothers !!!

drew, Mikie, coolbreeze and 2 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm just numb looking at the pictures, and hearing the stories of a good family man and friend... But I'm thankful that his friends found their way here to share. Rest in Peace, Andy.

herzalot, drew, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  22. drew

drew Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    drew
    I am not a mountain biker (I'm a Lotus car guy) - used to bike in college, about 25 years ago. However, I am one of Andy's old buddy (along with JB) since college - 25+ years ago. We, Andy's close friends - "The Gang," are shocked and heart broken - the worst news and couldn't believe it really happened. We visited Mindy and the children last Saturday - a lot tears...We felt so much pain for Mindy, the kids, and the days to come. Hoping for peace and solace. I know that Andy enjoys mountain biking, really smart and very IT/Computer techy guy since college, loves his family, generous and kind to his friends and others, and has the infectious smile every time I saw him. I can only use present tense as I can still hear his voice, "Hey, what's up man/dude, how are you?" with a big smile every time! We all had a big gathering at another buddy house this recent new year celebration - Andy, Mindy, and all four children came - good times.

Thank you to everyone here (and other bike forum) who shares his passion for mountain biking and was with him that day - Andy was not alone. Andy's great smile and great attitude will never leave me. Also, I like to express my deepest gratitute for your generous support and kindness, it means a lot to Mindy and the children, Andy's family members and friends

I couldn't find the other great photo of us. We were five young college kids who took a very memorable road trip from OC to Vancouver, Canada during the summer of 1990 (maybe 1991), in a small POS sedan. I think we drove straight 17-20 hours. We stayed at Andy's generous aunt's house in Vancouver for 5 days! One of the greatest guy road trip ever!

Andy looked the same, good looking Asian dude, sitting in front smiling!
    P_20150829_200658_zpshgqenqnm.jpg

Thanks for the memory - we will always miss you, Andy. Rest/Ride in Peace, brother.

Everyone here, please stay safe out there and never ride alone. Please, consider basic first aid and CPR when you venture out.

from the other Andy

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks for taking the time to share this Drew!
    You are always welcome to come back and share, and please post pics if you got them. I can only hope that people will speak of me as they do of guys like Andy, that flip the light switch "On" as oppose to off for others to see his light!

Mikie
    imtbtrails

MCB2K, knucklebuster, drew and 3 others like this.
  24. net4n6

net4n6 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    tyler
    He was the Best Man at my wedding. The picture was taken in 1996. He sent me this picture couple weeks ago.
    IMG_0563.JPG

25. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    This is the way to celebrate him!!

More pics and stories please........

Mikie, drew, Cougar and 3 others like this.
  26. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Very, very sad. A lot of talk in other places about SS trails with too many jumps VS rider ability. Don't know, but seems he was a good rider and it was just an unfortunate accident. Feel very bad for the family.

Mikie, knucklebuster, drew and 2 others like this.
  27. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    johnny b
    I hope I didn't offend anyone, but I took the liberty of lowering the Luge flag to half staff for our fallen brother. The flag will be raised after his funeral on 09/12/15.
    WP_20150902_11_00_45_Pro.jpg

28. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    That's really cool. I hope people ask questions about it, and more importantly people know why and share the reason.

MCB2K, coolbreeze, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  29. drew

drew Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    drew
    Great idea, JB, maybe we can get a carved stone/plaque for Andy later...place at the flag.

MCB2K, coolbreeze, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

I'm not offended... And if I can swing it, I'll take a quick ride up there tomorrow and check to see it's still in place...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?