Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MTBZen, Oct 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    Mountain lion killed as it charges police in Fontana neighborhood
    sbs-l-mtlionkilled-1018.jpg

A Fontana Animal Services Team truck is parked on a street near where a mountain lion had to be killed as it charged at police officers Tuesday morning, Oct. 17, 2017. (Photo courtesy of Fontana Police Department)
    By STEPHEN RAMIREZ | stramirez@scng.com | San Gabriel Valley Tribune
    PUBLISHED: October 17, 2017 at 1:59 pm | UPDATED: October 17, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Fontana police officers were forced to shoot and kill a mountain lion that was charging at them in a residential neighborhood Tuesday morning, officials said.

Animal Services officers had been searching for a mountain lion for the past two days, after receiving reports that one had killed animals at two residences in the same area, Fontana police said in a news release.

About 9 a.m. Monday, a resident in the 7900 block of Frontenac Court reported seeing a mountain lion in the backyard. The animal was spotted near children and adults, police said.

The street is in the Village of Heritage community, east of Victoria Gardens and north of the Auto Club Speedway. Several parks and schools are nearby.

Police officers and the animal services team found the animal in the rear of a residence. The mountain lion charged the officers, who shot and killed it, a spokesman for the Fontana police confirmed.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Another police shooting. Riots at 11:00.

But seriously, it's too bad it had to happen.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Where are the Cat Lives Matter protesters?

I bet it was a K9 officer that killed the cat.

4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    umm. charge at officers? I wonder what the circumstances were...
    I once was snorkeling about two hundred yards offshore in Kauai by myself.. surrounded by lots of turtles... just pristine gorgeous waters.. then a school of black tip reef sharks came by .. just circling around.. then they began attacking some fish in the reef... I never once thought that the sharks would charge at me.. later I saw a you tube video of shark in same area charging at the camera man...

It would be awesome to see a lion in our neck of the woods... too bad the lion got shot...

5. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Of course the lion was going to charge at him. What would you do if you're being corralled in?
    They should have been prepared with darts to get him sedated and relocated.
    Cat's lives matter.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uh, I'm in total agreement with this...
    Where was Animal control? Officers should not have been dealing with this. I'm hopeful that there are details that would make me feel more confident with this.
    Not. Happy. At. All.

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    As stated in the story, Animal Control was there. There's even a pic of their vehicle in the post. o_O

The cat was down in the neighborhood, in yards, near children. We as a species deem children more important than wildlife. Even future gangbangers in Fontucky. :whistling:

The cat had been roaming the neighborhood eating pets for a couple of days.

Tranks don't work fast enough in that situation. The cops are armed, animal control is not. The outcome was practically inevitable given these details.

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    The closest I got to a mountain lion was a paw print. about the size of my hands...
    We are fortunate to share the mountains with wild animals, coyotes, bobcats, lions. .. In the midst of our urban concrete sprawl, we get to ride where lions still roam...

until they get shot..

but again, I wonder what the circumstances were.... if officers/kids/ etc were in any danger.... not really normal for a lion to hang out in residential area in the middle of the day...

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    on a different note... Hawaiians believe they are safe from shark attacks when surrounded by turtles...

Cyclotourist, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I want body cam footage.:mad: Not the first time a wild animal has been located in an urban setting.o_O

Added Rant: Wild animals don't charge if there is nothing to charge at. Proximity is for the professionals. I'm lacking confidence in this. Okay, now end of added rant. But there may be more later...

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I like turtles.

Runs with Scissors likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?