Another Attempt at a Big Ride Saturday

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Jun 11, 2016.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Met up with my buddy Hugh at the Tree Farm at 5:30 this morning. Cool temps and clear. Rolled off and passed a couple of people in the canyon.

Just before the fist cattle gate we rode into the low clouds/soup. Temps were still comfortable, but it was HUMID. Casual pace and we reached Beek's at 1:02. Pushed on and headed to Sierra Peak. Secitons of the road has visibility of about 25' and the clouds/fog were blowing across the ridge.

At Sierra Peak, I whipped my phone out to take a picture. I get a message saying "9% Battery, Low Battery Mode". WTF???o_O It was charged when I left the house. So I turned it off....I was going to need it for later.

Pic courtesy of Hugh:
    imagejpeg_0.jpg

Turned around and headed back to Main Divide. We or I was in cruise mode, so I just took it easy on Main Divide. Short break at the Doplar Ball and we continued on. On the way to Hagador, once again visibility got very short. A few times I even got confused as to where I was. Through the gate at Pleasant's Peak and a couple minutes later we were under blue sky and sunshine....oh yeah, and the bugs. Another short break, and we dropped back to the gate.

This is where Hugh headed back on Main Divide, and I continued on to Eagle Rd. The original route had my dropping Eagle, traversing over to/up Bedford, and Main Divide to 4 Corners and down Harding. Well, since my phone was dead, I decided that being that far out solo without any form of communication wasn't the smart thing to do, so I made the call to go down Eagle and climb back up via Skyline and make an extra credit trip to Sierra Peak.

Felt good going down Eagle...still in the soup. Reached the bottom and hit the pavement. Immediately the back of the bike was bouncing.....again, WTF??o_O Looked down and saw the rear wheel wobbling. Stopped to check it out. The tire was deformed and was beginning to develop a hematoma under the treads. Not good, I'm on the wrong side of the Santa Ana's for a tire failure. Figured I would just ride it till it failed. By the time I reached the bottom of Skyline, it was beginning to bulge. I was just hoping that I could make it to the top before it let go. About 1/3rd the way up, it was now the size of a golf ball. The wheel would bounce each time I ran it over, and it was hitting the frame...annoying as hell. 2/3rds the way up, if finally burst. Crap, I really didn't want to deal with it, but booted it and tubed it.

IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG

Finally made it to Beeks'.....no extra credit out to Sierra Peak.

At Beeks' it began to drizzle, ALOT. Wobbly, hoppy wheel and drizzle. I was soaked on the way down.

Was happy to make it back to the truck.

So my $10 blowout tire from Pricepoint lasted me 5 rides before it blewout. Granted I didn't have high expectations anyway.

Still a fun ride.Screenshot (331).png
    Screenshot (332).png

2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    That's a lot of suck right there in one post. Sorry to hear about the troubles!

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Nice! J-Zilla!
    Breakin' stuff, is what you do...

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I love that your fails are twice my epics! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your semi-bad luck. I say semi-bad because you are not injured, lost or hypothermic. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    That tire only had FIVE rides? Oh wait, that's like 300 miles probably... o_O
    I've seen your rides posted on Strava

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

198.5 miles to be exact......

Soooo.....about $.05 a mile

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

True....they are only minor hick-ups in the grand scheme of things. I just haaaaaaaate cutting rides short due to mechanicals. GRRRRR!!!!!:mad:

herzalot likes this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I have one of those bargain tires in the garage, but it has a little beefier tread. I figure with the conversion factor, I should get between 7-10 rides. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej likes this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Now I will say that I did tag the rear wheel pretty hard on a rut coming back from Sierra Peak, so that may have started the problem.

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'm going to think positive then... Vee does make one of the best regarded 27.5+ tires.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

I'd be more upset if I actually paid retail for it. Then again, I would not have paid retail for it.

herzalot likes this.