All Mixed Up

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Cyclotourist, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Starting a new thread for multi-surface/mixed-surface/all-road rides. Most of my rides are neither all mountain (I Rode My Bike Today...) nor road (I "Road" My Bike Today...). So here's one that combines the two. In fact I can't imagine a ride that doesn't have some dirt under my tires! Doesn't have to be just cross-bikes... but I figure it will skew that way. It's more about the ride itself, enjoying the paved and dirt sections equally, no matter what the bike is.
    It might end up being just me and @Runs with Scissors scissors posting to it, but here goes!

-ROCKY-, Sidewalk, UPSed and 9 others like this.
  2. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Okay, I’ll bite and add to the cause. There’s lot’s of dirt around here that can be connected with pavement runs. This was last week from the house.
    2CBAA479-4A5B-477E-9831-DDFC06CE099E.jpeg 20B58231-250F-4652-9E8D-11F1E7943A09.jpeg 67176EBC-8C99-4523-9325-225A19F07D4E.jpeg 6775D264-F1B2-4F97-82B4-DD0431CA0C44.jpeg

OTHRider, -ROCKY-, Luis and 19 others like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I am thinking about selling my Kona and pickup a Trek Checkpoint. It is the best of both worlds. We have one at the shop and it's fun to ride but really don't care for the sliding dropouts.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    All of my mtn bike rides from home are combo rides simply because I live in the city where all roads are paved. I usually see at least a few miles of pavement to reach the dirt.

5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Sounds like a good topic. Sometimes we do it out of necessity, but it's a lot more fun when it's a choice! Paging @Runs with Scissors..

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Most of my rides are multi-surface as well. Residential streets up to 5-Oaks or Cheater Cholla, Laguna Canyon Road, Alta Laguna, Santiago Canyon Road, Live Oak Canyon Road, Portola...

I try to ignore those parts however.

Fueledbyex8, -ROCKY-, Luis and 9 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Got home a little early, no kid duties, so hopped on my monstercross. Spun out just under 19/1,900 in two hours. Ended up riding Carriage Trail, Teddy's Trail, multiple trails across the Herngt 'Aki' Preserve, and a bunch of little ones. Totally fun blast through town coming home right at sunset. Good times on a bike!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1923792815

43712775490_e2b3e6604e_c.jpg

OTHRider, Sassyquatch, kioti and 11 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    These rides are definitely treats! But yeah...

This is for the ones that shouldn't be ignored!

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I like it!!! I'll contribute soon.:thumbsup:

kioti, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  10. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Nice.....

Here's my ride from tonight. Probably 50/50 paved to dirt through Foothill Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita, and O'neill Park. I've not been riding much due to injury, but I am finally feeling better and am back on the bike.... Just in time for the time change.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1923814968

kioti, Rumpled, pperrelle and 6 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yep, that's the same kind of ride I tend to do, minus the large body of water. A little bit of everything, not a ton of elevation (10:1,000 average). With enough road riding that a MTB would get old fast, and enough dirt (usually packed) that a road bike would be slipping out and too rough to enjoy.

Looks like a fun one. Live Oak is a nice trail!

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I don't tend to like sliding dropouts, or eccentric BBs, but the dropouts on my Chameleon have given me zero problems. I don't think about them at all.

13. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I ride about 5 houses on the pavement + a short steep water tank road= about 2 more houses. But the houses are on large lots, and when I get done I need to cross a street and ride up a steep hill for one house so I guess this counts as a combo ride. I try to keep pavement to a minimum since it is tough on heavy lugged tires
    Happy black top trails

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Well they are large lots...

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Well like Mr. Snake I do a lot of my rides from home and depending on which end of Simi I go to it could be anywhere from 8-12 miles on pavement. Does that count?

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    In my view of the world, if the road is just a means to get to the dirt, then the I Rode My Bike Today thread is probably the better bet.
    But I don't think you'll get banned for posting it here.

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Perhaps your thread should be titled "Gravel Bike RRs", where a combination of road and dirt is the goal?

I enjoy my little stints on pavement on my way to the dirt. It gets me warmed up and ready to climb. But, I am on a mountain bike and I am not thrilled about the faster wear on my soft compound knobby tires.

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    What about my MTB rides where I connect 2-3 riding areas with pavement?
    bitmoji-20181024062937.png

19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I admit, I am more excited about buying a new gravel/mixed/whatever bike (Spec Diverge) than my new XC bike.

20. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm mostly concerned with railing turns on pavement with knobby tires. It just seems like they won't hold as well as road tires, and I don't want to find out the hard way. :bang:

21. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I like a good mix and run Ikons for at least a semblance of low rolling resistance. I'm guessing Thunder Burts or Maxxis Pace would be better, but at a disadvantage on dirt. I did my fastest lap on the STT/Luge with some Performance FasTraks that were super fast on pavement/rolling, but had minimal cornering knobs (like the TBs). Fun but sketchy.

22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm go @konakc and post 3 in a row..

Back in the day (70's).. before mountain bikes.. I did a club road ride from Downey to Turnbull Canyon with a couple of the fast riders. Turnbull was our designated climb. We regrouped at the top and were headed back down when the 2 fast guys said Follow us! They turned off the road and took a trail down through a switchback, then a dirt road to the bottom. I'd always seen the gate but hadn't thought to ride it. Interesting on 20mm slicks..

It's cool that it's a thing now and there's gear to bridge the gap. Still a compromise, though a worthy one, sort of like riding a single speed. :thumbsup:

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    My 2 gravel bikes are my commuter and my wife’s 120mm 29er.

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Today was the 29er. About 50/50 tarmac and earth.ED83D752-605E-43BE-98AA-A9201695A434.png

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I rode the mixture bike today, so I'll post it here. I needed a medium-sized ride to get the legs moving again, because I haven't had time for squat but the FLoop lately.

Late start, again, due to sleeping in. Again. :Roflmao Parked just above the East Fork bridge in San Gabriel Canyon. Unloaded the Sutra and got myself ready. Headed up the canyon toward the Crystal Lake Store, about 13.5 miles and 4,100 feet of gain away. Great day for riding, saw a few full-on roadies flying down as I went up. This was also a day to stop and smell the roses as I rode.

Scenery today was the usual awesomesauce for San Gabriel Canyon. This is easily one of my top 2 favorite locations to ride. I had never actually noticed this chimney standing all by its lonesome before. Looked kinda cool.
    20181027_102249.jpg

This view never ceases to amaze me. It's gorgeous. It looks flat, but it actually runs at a 7%-9% grade. Only looks flat because the valley floor is at the same 7% - 9% grade. :eek:
    20181027_103556.jpg

I can only guess what this thing is. Looks like a sand hopper to to sand/salt the road when it's icy.
    20181027_112208.jpg

Critter Creek...this spring has never stopped running that I know of. It's 3 miles below the Crystal Lake turnoff and is a great place to dump ice cold water over your head on a 90+ degree day. :thumbsup: And if you miscalculated your water needs, it's a refill!
    20181027_113651.jpg

And this means you're almost at the turnoff; maybe a quarter mile around the curve. My Garmin was pretty much spot on today, elevation wise.
    20181027_121045.jpg

And here we are!! I actually rode a bit farther up to Deer Flat toward the South Mt. Hawkins lookout, but then my legs gave up. I need to do more of these. But man, this was a fun day, with great weather, and those tires are just the ticket for bombing back down the canyon. I think I touched my brakes twice. Maybe. :whistling::cool:
    strava1058797098395397730.jpg

MolarM, Stkx66, Old&InTheWay and 11 others like this.
  26. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010

Elevation envy! Nice work!!!

27. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Since @Cyclotourist is out of commission with the bump on the noggin I figured I’d pick up the slack on the weekday mixed surface front and jumped on the grinder for a quick ride from the house. There’s tons of little pockets of dirt down here to ride. I found a few more new areas on my ride today. The dirt wouldn’t be any fun on a mountain bike but is perfect for a gravel bike. Nice and cool with an ocean breeze for the entire ride.

A02DFB2C-69B3-4AAF-8351-F38B7E8B7A7F.jpeg 100D7DB1-226F-46BA-A429-287ABBAB6601.jpeg 24B297EB-7C3A-4489-B753-D63EDC955ED0.jpeg 80E585A5-0B63-418F-B6C2-D2919C350876.jpeg 5F180A72-22D2-4536-ABF7-7716AC99E9AF.jpeg

28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I've left this thread in good hands!

29. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Some serious ruttage going on there.

30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    First real ride since the 27th. Felt GREAT to be out. I felt good enough to go out on the longer loop, which was a nice bonus. I am really cautious on every corner though... just can't help it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1957588662

Cross-posted on the sunset thread:
    45819113671_4c79801c4f_b.jpg