All Mixed Up (A Blend of Dirt and Road)

Discussion in 'Gravel Grinders' started by Cyclotourist, Oct 23, 2018.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Trying out some new Ritchey Venturmax bars that were recommended by a fellow rider. The swap out didn't go smoothly, so used up all the cool morning and I got out late. Had a nice mellow loop. Explored a bit and got some new dirt which is always a good thing!

22.5/1,000/2.75

49957662331_ab91993394_b.jpg

49957162533_3331726af2_b.jpg

Faust29, SnakeCharmer, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Vince from JRA invited Jennifer, myself and a few of the shop regulars on a gravel bike ride today. We started from his place in Thousand Oaks (I rode from home). The route took us through Wildwood, out to Santa Rosa Rd towards Camarillo, PCH, Big Sycamore and back to TO. It was mostly a group ride but I did my own pace out front. It's been a while since I felt like hammering. Not a lot of elevation but I had a lot of fun pushing the pace across PCH then up Big Sycamore. Jennifer did great and was never far behind. Looking forward to the next one.

IMG_20200531_152049_662.jpg IMG_20200531_152049_667.jpg IMG_20200531_151926_663.jpg

3. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I picture your rides to include participants in sandals, straw hats, and flowers painted around exposed areolas.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Holds true for the guys!

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Tired and a bit of a headache from camping/riding/boozing/driving this weekend, but thought a ride would be the cure. Turned out I was right! A fast (for moi) 17 miles up to Oakmont, San Tim, and back through town. One runner on the trail, one red racer, three walkers, a dad and a grom riding bikes. Otherwise the roads and trails to myself!

17/1,200/1.5 and looks like Louisiana!

50014365022_536870ab4f_h.jpg

50013571793_eb901a726f_h.jpg

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Cruising around the west side of Simi Valley.

IMG_20200616_131354_091.jpg

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    You forgot beer... Pretty sure those guys only ride to find beer. And tacos. But mostly beer.

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I was mixed up today. I haven't taken the gravel beast out for a month or so... Now that I've ridden up Brown Mountain a few times, I thought it would be fine on the gravel bike. It was... :thumbsup:

I skipped el Prieto... I'm sure there are gravel riders who can get down it. I'll pass. I continued on the single track past the turnoff and ended up taking the fire road down into Millard, and then down Chaney. Fun quick loop...

@Cyclotourist - You were right about the rear tire. Only 600 miles and it's pretty much bald in the center. I stood up a few times going up Brown Mountain and promptly spun the back wheel. :facepalm: Any ideas for a rear tire in the 700x45 range? Anything that makes a good front and rear?

15/2100

IMG_2088.jpeg

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I was all set to suggest the S-Works Renegade 1.8", but, sadly, it doesn't seem to be available anymore. I used it on the Crusher.

Rolled really well, sticks where it needs to, handles gravel most excellently.

Cyclotourist, UPSed and Faust29 like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    I would think that was just presumed and unstated!!!

The Riddlers are good tires, and pretty cheap, so maybe just put a new one on the front and rotate the front to the rear with the knowledge that they aren't going to last that long. Plus now that they are worn down, it's that speed-tread people pay good money for!!!

A bit more coin, but the Rene Herse tires are supposed to ride like magic: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/700cx42-hurricane-ridge-tc/ I'll probably be getting one of their tires next, haven't decided to go with 700C or 650B though. Nice to have options!

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Strangely enough, I've never ridden specifically to find beer. Seems like a worthy goal, though. :cool::p

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Faust29, UPSed and Runs with Scissors like this.
  14. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    I have run all sorts of gravel tires.

My favorite fast tire is the Specialized Sawtooth. Very quick, soft enough that you don't take a beating and still very puncture resistant. 700x42C
    I ran 3 sets of WTB Nano 700x40C tires. Really great grip. Not the best at stopping small nails. After a lot of miles I retired their usage.
    I tried Panaracer Gravel Kings 700x40C. Solid all around tire but I wore out the rear in a month.
    I am currently running Kenda Flintridge PRO 700x42C. Really great traction and still roll pretty quick. No real complaints yet other than the Sawtooth is a faster tire.
    Next, I am thinking about trying the WTB ByWay. I like the smooth center for street and the side knobs to help corners.

Thanks my 2 bits...

15. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Dropped another video on the TUBE. Did another big loop leaving Irvine down to Blackstar, up/down, back home. Was going to go down Skyline and around back into Oaks. I'll save that for next time.

52 miles 4500ft.

OTHRider, Faust29, tick and 3 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I FLooped today!!! First ride outside the garage in 4 weeks.

Took the Sutra out with its new 40mm Ravagers. Verdict: 4 thumbs up. Excellent tires, enough gription, fast rolling. Handles gravel well, but the deep stuff can be tricky. Like!!

20200628_090921.jpg

strava4826369978829505405.jpg

17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    I haven't been riding much this month, but yesterday was the day! Wanted to get some mileage in, and knew I was out of condition, so stuck with the mostercross. Good choice, as it got me through the 25 ride and home at the end. I wanted a flatter route, but still suffered a bit with that. Sure lose it fast if you don't keep up on riding! A bit hot by the end of it, but pretty much worth it!

25/2,000/2.5

Gravel out my front door:

50052333036_fa7cfbce5e_h.jpg

This is more what I came for:

50051755343_e61b06fc02_h.jpg

Still have some life left in them!

50052332791_abdcdb4045_h.jpg

scan, Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?