Aliso Woods Meadows

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Torrent77, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    Can anyone tell me the correct way to do this? I HAB from the bottom Saturday. The map shows another trail further down call mentally sensitive. Is that the loop?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Mentally Sensitive used to be "Environmentally Sensitive" and the RADS and others would remove the environ from there. Hence the trail. Don't climb Mentally Sensitive; it's steep. Climbing Meadows is doable, then go left (south) at the paved road to fin Mentally Sensitive. Farther north in Wood Canyon you will find Mathis fire road on your left (west side), which is also doable. In that same junction to Mathis you will find Coyote Trail which parallels Wood Canyon on the west side (left when facing north) and is more exciting/difficult to clean. Along Coyote Trail you will find Rock-It on your left when facing north, which also is a doable climb. Farther north still into Wood Canyon you will find 5-Oaks on the right (east side) which is always a one-way DH. Near the end of Wood Canyon at the northern end is Cholla Trail on the left (east side). Most people climb Cholla and then go left (south) along the fire road to Top of the World. Throughout the park you will encounter other riders whom you can ask to show you the routes throughout the park.

Coordinate with @herzalot and @StrandLeper. Aliso/Wood Cyns are their back yard, and they know more than meets the eye.

kioti, Torrent77 and Redman like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Meadows is the best flow trail in Orange County - but the (sometimes unexpected) uphill traffic can interrupt that flow. Also, use the berms - don't cut the corners. @kioti put them there for a reason. Meadows is a very rideable climb, but you may have to pause to collect your breath and strength or to courteously let a hootin' and gigglin' mtb-er descend uninterrupted.

As DDD attempted to say above, Mentally Sensitive and Meadows are sort-of isolated at one end of the park, while Cholla, Lynx, Rock-It, Mathis, Car Wreck, Dripping Cave, Coyote Run and Five Oaks all live at the other end of the park. I never climb Meadows, but I almost always include it in my rides - it's just too fun not to.

If you can find your way to Alta Laguna Park (often called Top of the World), you need to traverse the entire neighborhood to the southeast on Alta Laguna road (paved). After passing several 4-ways stops and a fire station, you will begin to descend on Alta Laguna and the road will suddenly narrow. Look for a connector trail to your right. It's steep, rutted and fun. If you're not Brian Lopes, a short hike-a-bike will bring you to a paved service road. Continue Southeast on that and where it plateaus, you will find Meadow Trail on your left. Somebody more tech savvy than myself can post a map with cool arrows to help you, or if you Google it, I am sure there are already plenty of maps and/or pictures to guide you.

If you click on the link above and view the video of Lopes, stop it at 21 seconds. That smooth little uphill bunny hop he does to get up that rock is ridiculous. :eek: There are stairs to his left for a reason. You can also see the paved service road and the plateau where Meadows starts. The video then moves to Telonics. Feel free to ride that like Lopes too, keeping in mind most people ride Telonics on a DH bike with pads and full-face. :cool: :confused:

So how to get to Alta Laguna Park? You can drive there through Laguna, but who wants to end their ride with a long climb? If parking at one of the other entrances (Canyon Vistas or the main lot off Alicia), just climb one of the trails (Cholla, Rock-It, Mathis) and continue up the fire-road ridge until you get there.

Or just ride with me, if you can tolerate it. Several IMTB members have, and a few have even done so more than once! :sneaky:

4. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    What @herzalot said. Hit me up for an after work ride sometime. I try to go Weds around 5 or 6 or 7. Or dawn on any Sunday. My next two Weds are work committed, however.

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  5. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    I've ridden with this Herzalot legend. The only thing I couldn't tolerate was the pace of the climbs. Give it a try, he'll show you the fast way up and faster way down.

6. ScottV

ScottV Member

Name:
    Scott VanDell
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightowwer
    Damn. I ride that section all the time. I have no problem on the downhill (definitely not that fast though) and can climb just to that boulder and then have to stop . To hop up that boulder is just insane. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it. Crazy good..

7. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    This is the most basic Meadows loop that includes going through the streets as Herz mentions above. Start at the Aliso and Wood Canyons parking lot, down the access road, up Wood Canyon fire road, then climb Mathis up to W Ridge to Top of the World, through the residential streets (Alta Laguna) and down Meadows.

temp.JPG

It's a great trail :)

kioti, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Cougar! You rock!

Cougar likes this.
  9. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    BTW I just watched the Lopes vid going up that rock. MAD SKILLZ! That part of the trail is very steep and loose.

herzalot likes this.
  10. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    I watched it over and over, like 20 times. frame by frame. hard to understand how he gets so much pop off of that little itty bitty lip. My simpleton brain cannot comprehend.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Have you ever hopped up a 6" curb at speed? That's exactly what it's like for Lopes - easy, seamless and routine.

12. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    yes, many times. but still... he is doing this uphill as well. that adds major brain calculatortions. :confused: it is like a step up jump with no step up. i am tempted to try it, but fear i will taco my front rim and mess up my beard on that rock. :bang:

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    First - calculatortions - great word! I'll have to start using it. :thumbsup:

Second - I can't even keep enough speed right now to get to the rock - it's quite rutted on the way down and sandy on the way up. :confused:

Third - Your beard is already red, so a little blood won't be so noticeable! :eek:

littlewave and Redman like this.
  14. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @herzalot
    Here is a few more words for you.....

Ri-calculus = twice as bad as ridiculous. Cause its just so ridiculously hard to understand, kinda like calculus. "That bunny hop by Flyin Brian was re-calculus"

HuMANGous = when the word humongous just isn't enough and you really need emphasize the size of something. "That bunny hop by Flyin' Brian was huMANGous"

Ginormous = both giant and enormous combined, making it ginormous. "That bunny hop by Flyin' Brian was ginormous"

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I do use Ginormous regularly. Thanks for the other vocabules to add to my vocabulary. :thumbsup:

16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I have never seen this video before. I never thought I would see anyone clear that rock. It isn't even that easy to HAB over.

It isn't just the rock - it is the fact that to carry speed up that hill you have to not only clear all those crappy ruts on the downhill but you have to sail through that funky narrow section by footbridge. It isn't a straight run and it is really hard to carry the speed. I normally get to the rock stairs and stall out - definitely not carrying enough speed to hop that rock.

littlewave and herzalot like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I wonder if Flyin' Brian could do it under its current conditions? I was just there today, and it is a lot more rutted and a lot more sandy than in that video. Still, I made it to the rock, so I am guessing Lopes could still hop up it like it isn't even there.

kioti and littlewave like this.
  18. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Back when I was young I was able to ride Aliso in a way as to not do the same trail twice in the same direction and if I remember correctly it was https://www.strava.com/activities/25200274
    From the main parking lot...
    Up Meadows
    Dn Mentally Sensitive
    Up Dripping Cave
    Up Mathis
    Dn Car Wreck
    Up RockIt
    Dn Lynx
    Up Cholla
    Dn RockIt
    Out Cyn Vista Park
    Up Water Tank
    Dn 5 Oaks
    Out the Valley to main parking lot
    If I remember correctly it was a 21 miler with over 3100 Vert. Again that was when I was young but It should give you all the good stuff in one ride.

StrandLeper, BonsaiNut and kioti like this.
  19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yeah the ruts are REALLY bad; deep and just slightly offline so you can't get in a line and stick with it. And the rock section on the right that he used at the beginning of his descent has been compromised as well. The low section by the footbridge used to be packed clay or damp soil and now it is just a loose mess. So you end up having to limp through the first part, and it all depends on how hard you can hammer up the hill. Might as well just make it a sprint uphill from a dead stop - I'd probably do better :)

herzalot, kioti and StrandLeper like this.
  20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I just keeping watching this video over and over. It's like MTB crack. The video doesn't capture how HARD it is to do what he did. It's like he is going straight up a loose trail and then bunny hops a 4' boulder at the end. I'm being conservative when I say that rock is 4' - I'll bet the entire step is 8' because it is over my head when I stand at the bottom. He just sails right over it. The angle of the camera makes it look a LOT flatter than it is in real life.

rapid-fire-brian-lopes--vid-19924--uid-2--xhd.jpg

landing.jpg

21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I just realized - we have the ocean horizon in the background. Here is what the photo SHOULD look like using the ocean horizon as a reference. It's really friggin' steep!

REAL-hop.jpg

herzalot, littlewave, Redman and 2 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Seems more like 4000'. Aliso climbing is steep and punishing.

pachaven likes this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Click the Strava link....he is correct on his numbers.

herzalot likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nah. I like my numbers better.

littlewave likes this.
  25. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Well hell then...it was 5,000 in the mud!! And I was glad to do it

26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    It's 5000' if you do it in your CostCo generic brand Chinese MTB like I did the first time. Probably 4000' in my old Trek. In my current XTR build it's like 3000' :)

Runs with Scissors and pachaven like this.
  27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Hop that rock while you can. Unless I read the sign wrong, they will be reconstructing that little connector trail fron 10-24 till approx. 1-24. It will be closed, and its the only (legal) way to loop over to meadows and MS. So unless the TOTW neighborhood lets us access their gate, guess we're all climbing meadows :( to descend it.

kioti and mtnbikej like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks for the head's up. They must have something serious planned because 3 months seems like a long time to "reconstruct" that short little trail. Especially as it's a main connector trail for a big percentage of park users.

Oh well, glad I decided to work on the Luge yesterday instead of driving all the way out there to clean it up.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I remember readin in the local paper last year that the city allocated funds to completely redo that trail, i think theyre either going to pave it or make it gravel. There was a sign at the fireroad entrance by the soccerfield saying "the trail from alta laguna to the fireroad" will be closed and rebuilt so Im assuming thats what its refrring to.
    Thanks for your work on the Luge!

mike, kioti and mtnbikej like this.
  30. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Paved?! Bummer.

herzalot likes this.