Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I rode Cactus today for the first time in a long, long while. Holy crap what a travesty.

2. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    They must have ... it is actually raining right now.

3. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    They definitely started today. I rode by today and there were a few trucks from the California Conservation Corps. Lets stay positive.

Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  4. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    seems some agency is re-purposing Los Angeles County LACO to support their trail neutering. Maybe this means LAguna City, of Orange or some other neat acronym.

Danmtchl likes this.
  5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    someone who posted a vid on youtube (of legal trails for once) claimed that 5 oaks and car wreck are now bike and DH only (like TnA) but the parks' website doesnt reflect that. Anyone heard of this?

Danmtchl, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Doesn’t matter, the hikers ignore those rules anyway. Every time I’ve been down TnA since they instituted theses rules, I’ve had hikers on the trail.

7. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  8. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hmm OC Parks still says closed... Aliso & LCWP... Sometimes the website gets updated later

I know people are already riding there as Strava Don't Lie ;)

I am OK with another day of bike trails etc if needed...

Danmtchl, herzalot, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The gate was open at Peters yesterday. Probably a day too early given the puddles and mud. But I bet Aliso’s open.

10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Rode by Aliso with the Roady today, Aliso is closed at this time.

Danmtchl, tick, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  11. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Interesting...
    LCWP and Aliso website still says closed... Seems like they should be open by now... At least this afternoon before it rains again .... Arghh!!

People we're riding it yesterday for sure. Easy to tell... Trying to be a good citizen!

Curious if the signs are actually up or they just leave the website up to dissuade people.

12. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    "Seems like it should be open" doesn't apply this year after three+ months of repeated storms.

Water is flowing above and below ground in places and ways it normally doesn't and for much longer, causing damage where you don't normally see it. And people won't stay off the trails, multiplying the damage.

Trails up high where things drain better might be fine but the trails lower down you need to connect to could be a swamp.

13. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yup I am super familiar with Aliso and LCWP... they have their good and bad areas...

They have left the websites non-updated in the past... So was looking for on the ground sighting... After tonight/ tomorrow... More waiting to come

And yes I know for a fact people are riding at both parks... Don't want to be one.

14. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I think they realize they opened too early after the last rain and a lot of damage was done.

15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Signs are up and gates closed at LCWP parking areas.
    Aliso has signs up at least at the top of Cheater Cholla saying the trails are closed.

16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yeah, I saw lots of folks obviously heading out to ride the laguna parks the last two weekends when they were closed from the rain. Really makes me angry. Not doing us any favors access-wise lomg-term. At least it looks like this week might be the last big storm, at least for a while. I suspect they’ll be closed through this weekend too, depending on how much rain.
    I heard a lot of hikers and bikers got cited in El Moro over the weekend for going on the closed trails. State parks have more staff I guess

17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    If only they enforced all the rules so vigorously .... especially the ones on permanent signs at every entrance. :Roflmao

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    10 mph speed limit?

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    For thee....

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  20. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    This is actually related to El Moro. As some of you may know I volunteer there on to he MTB.

We were contacted tonight looking for volunteers for tomorrow.

"It’s gonna be beautiful but the trails are a mess and since they are closed we could really use the help educating the public"

I suspect the may enforce a bit as well...

Just a heads up....

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So here's a thought - if the trails are a mess, and it has rained a lot recently, why not do trail work instead of just enforcement? Not aimed at you - aimed at those who do tread work when it's dry and do nothing when the dirt is prime to work with.

Danmtchl, Obsidian and Rumpled like this.
  22. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    We only get 330 perfect riding days a year. Heaven forbid anyone miss a day!

23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Resources / Budget / Coordination
    Right / wrong Backcountry less priority than beach Areas.
    But yeah.

Danmtchl, Rumpled and herzalot like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Resources? - Volunteers
    Budget? - Volunteers
    Coordination? - Yup - need that. I assume they have a trail boss on the payroll.

redwoods, bvader and Danmtchl like this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Seriously... Your funny.... :)
    Feel free to join the team....
    This is a State Park after all.
    I have been working with them for 10+ years.
    You don't mobilize a project for Saturday on Friday the day before. That's just silly.

I wish it was that easy but it is certainly not.

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Anyone been down lizard post Deluge?

27. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    Lizard is fine, some running water in a few places on the slope, fewer ponds than expected based on what I saw earlier this water year.

Old Emerald has a few deeper ruts/gullies. Most of the change seems to be on Camelback entry from Ridge Park, lots of dirt washed off exposing gullies.

Rumpled, Obsidian and bvader like this.
  28. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I ended up there yesterday... Agree.. the ruts on the entrance were sizeable... Climb out of Lizard had some sizable ruts as well.. buddy said Serrano Ridge fire road had some mega ruts.

Lizard was better than anticipated and Ol Emerald I just needed to pay attention:)

herzalot, Rumpled and Obsidian like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Little update on Crystal Cove

BACKCOUNTRY UPDATE
    Looks like we should re-open the backcountry (maybe not all trails though) by the middle of May. We have but two special equipment operators in the District and both have been swamped. On Monday the lifeguard towers will be placed on the beach and afterwards the special equipment operator will assess the trails. He is then scheduled the week of May 8 to repair whatever he can. I don't know what that means, nor what trails will be worked on, but I have seen pictures and the backcountry suffered extensive damage with trails washed away and big ruts and grooves in other spots. The bottom line is if our officers can't safely access the trails then they can't assist visitors who may be injured or in trouble.

DangerDirtyD and Obsidian like this.
  30. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Another El Moro / Crystal Cove update from the head of the volunteers.

Hello Everyone
    Wanted to announce that the backcountry has re-opened!

The heavy equipment operator had his work cut out for him. With part of Moro Canyon trail washed away he had to recut a trail. AND, the mustard, OMG, it has grown over, above, and beyond. So he has spent the last few days mowing the trails so that they are passable for visitors and vehicles.

I walked this morning and there was still a lot to be done. But you can now hike, ride, run, bird watch etc. on the trails (except for Red Tail Ridge which is still in need of some serious work)! So TAV's sign up for shifts :)

Also a huge thank you toTAV volunteers Robin, Brad, & Steve ( not sure if I am missing anyone else) for helping the NRM crew re-route BFI. This is a tremendous benefit since that trail was a "problem child" and now is newly improved and ready for business

Oaken, herzalot and Obsidian like this.