Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    What the hell was Haines referring to with the "...if their mothers knew..." comment. The Rads are 60 years old!

Hans was on point. The Rads do not support the hordes of new riders and their trail modifications.

Oh, and I almost ran him over on his GT e-bike in the canyon this evening after retrieving my dog from the Dog Ranch. Ooops sorry Hansie!

2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    In other news LCWP today saw 4 snakes and a roadrunner with a lizard in it's mouth.

I rode a locally maintained trail and it's was one of the better maintained trails.

And I TnA'd with style and speed today and even caught some nice little cross up air :)

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Always blaming the RADS. Talking about there mothers? I'd wager most of their mothers have moved on, I could be a young RAD.
    Telonics is mostly private, right? Been there for 30?+ years?
    I'm not the biggest fan of adding structure like plastic pads or whatever, but trails do need maintenance.
    I think that hiker dude needs to lighten up.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hiker dude is co-founder of Victoria Skimboards, located at the bottom of Telonics, so there’s that...

5. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sasquatch9billion and tick like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The Laguna RADS are engaging hostilities with members of Monkey Piss. upload_2020-5-26_13-41-54.jpeg
    Sure they have the right of way while climbing, and Aiello doesn’t need an Ebike out there, but we’re Monkey Piss and will die on any hill to defend our shenanigans!

8. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Shirley you jest. Uphill never has the right of way except on the signs at the trail head. And don't get me started about "Strava droppers are following so get off the trail". Makes me want to drop my bike across the trail and wait in the shade.

DangerDirtyD and Danimal like this.
  9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Never heard of monkey piss other than when around monkeys.

But hey, I guess if you gonna get hostile you can choose any liquid you prefer.

DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I really don't understand any of the words here.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have no idea what you are saying and what I am missing in those photos. I know who the RADS are, but not MonkeyPiss - and I don't see hostilities. I see one rider yielding to another. What are we missing, or is it just the safety break talking?

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And they probably have those wider tires and full-suspension shock absorbing systems! More in common with a motorcycle than a bicycle! :Roflmao Where will it end?!?!

14. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Am I missing something? Is Telonics no longer an "off-menu," trail?

herzalot likes this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It's not enforceable, so it's never enforced. It crosses 3 different jurisdictions and ends on private land. Nobody has ever tried to stop riders from the top or the bottom, as far as I know. I've seen police and rangers at the top while riders unload their shuttle trucks and head on down the trail. I've been that shuttler on many occasions. Still, there is no need to advertise the trail on social media.

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Allegedly this guy tried to pick a fight with my buddy who is passing him. He blocked the way down with his bike and was talking Sh!t. Funny especially considering this old man is like 60. Two weeks ago they were asking if MP was from around there and they ride there a lot and so on and so forth. I suspect poor Monkey etiquette was the cause.

17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Herz.
    U know if there is an easier way back up besides canyon vistas road or stairsteps?
    Shuttle not an option

Cyclotourist and bvader like this.
  18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Those ARE the easy ways.... personally I prefer Steps...

19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Me too.. I was hoping there were some escalators

Cyclotourist likes this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Does the City bus count as a shuttle? That's what @tbarnesarc used to do. You could ride around up Park Ave. Long ride back up for a 3-5 minute descent. Telonics was a shuttle trail for me - or an ending trail if you park in the Canyon. Of course, when I rode it regularly, it was on a DH bike in full pads with a full-face helmet. I've only done it once on a trail bike.

21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sometimes I'll ride the bus up to Crafton to skip all the road miles there. Cruise the hills and ride trails back. $1.50 well spent!

Redman, Stkx66, SnakeCharmer and 6 others like this.
  22. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I used to do that too, since the bus depot is right behind my work, jumped on it for a lift up for an after work ride. Laguna beach trolleys are shut down thru Labor Day at least. I’d hab up telonics itself before getting on a bus these days. People go back up by going all the way around to canyon vistas in Aliso on the road? Stairsteps HAB isn’t that bad...

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Technically isn't it Canyon Acres...AKA 20 mins of Hell

konakc and herzalot like this.
  24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I think maybe u meant Canyon Acres?

konakc likes this.
  25. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Old?!?!?!? It's the new 40!

26. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    20 minutes of helllll...canyon acres.. where ebikers pass u up and u known u want one but won't admit it...

27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I rode Aliso Saturday for first time in a while.

I went in the afternoon starting around 1:30pm... Nice breeze not to busy.

Before I dropped into Rock It... Reminded the MTB Spirits that they have already claimed a member of our tribe.

I wasn't thinking speed ... 2/3rds or so. Felt good cruising in... Oddly right when I was entering the Rock zone there was a group of folks to the left... Do not distract.... Weird I couldn't remember what the entry line was... Picked one to the right as soon as I got in muscle memory too over... At the bottom of that seconds section which I think was the claiming section was thinking about that too.. not a good idea.. it was pretty chunky and dusty...but relaxed etc... All good... Cleaned the step up as well ... Nice ride. Rest of ride Mathis, meadow, cholla lynx all good.

Bummer in the canyon Group of guys walking ... I say one holding his right arm.. he was banged up good... Went down on Mathis... I talked to him and friend..for a couple made sure he want sick or dizzy... It was a collarbone or AC joint for sure... Pluss some major road rash on right arm. He was still a bit glazed...but coherent

Told his buddies to get him to an urgent care for XRays, make sure he drinks a bit perhaps snack.

Bummer...

Nice day for me though...

I saw reminants of the 5 Oaks work no close inspection

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sorry to hear about another injury. Sucks. Sounds like you had a good day though. I'll be joining you soon.

Faust29, mtnbikej and bvader like this.
  29. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    RockIt is the easiest trail in Aliso other than fire roads. Lynx is the bitch.

Faust29 and bvader like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    In order of difficulty of descent easiest to most challenging (in my opinion): I don't count Cholla or Mathis because neither should be a descent.

Meadows - flowy goodness, berms but zero chunk
    Rock-It - Low gradient all the way. A little bit of everything - turny goodness, straight ahead chunk, techy little climb, a couple of tiny jumps
    Lynx - A little steeper and faster than Rock-It with some little ledges that can mess you up. Pretty straight though.
    5-Oaks - Steeper with a few ledges, some ruts and braking bumps up top. Challenging roots, rocks, ruts and stairs near the end
    Mentally Sensitive - Steep, awkward, rutted, loose
    Stairs - Bigger chunk, but pretty straight. Steeper than Rock-It
    Car Wreck (with the drop) - Steep chunk in spots with big holes. A 4ft. must huck that has a tame ride around. Off camber chunk at the bottom leading into the actual wrecked car.

I think that's it for legal trails.