Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

1. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
    I too was frustrated by the cancellations. However the “go team” didn’t seem like a real option when it was asked. If I were them I’m not going to rely on a group that hasn’t proven themselves to make major trail changes. I think if there was a large reliable team then we could apply pressure.

Why aren’t people volunteering? I think the vast majority of it’s selfishness. I know guys that ride way more than me, multiple days per week, and almost exclusively ride Aliso/Laguna yet they always have an excuse about why they can’t volunteer.

Regarding the participation cap, that’s not a hard rule as far as I have experienced. I email them when I miss the sign up deadline or the event is full and I’ve never been turned away. The cap seems more to keep them from getting flooded with people that are there because they need some sort of volunteer credit and don’t have interest beyond that. If real volunteers are being knowingly turned away then I would be upset. There also appears to be an openness to doing none scheduled days if one can put together a group. I don’t know enough people to be able to arrange this but the fact that they will engage me with these questions seems positive.

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    I’ve signed up at least four times as well only to have the trail work cancelled, and several other times I’ve tried to sign up but the trail work is capped. So I don’t totally thinks it’s for lack of effort or desire of mountain bikers wanting to contribute.

There’s a lot of politics in action with LCWP, or at least that’s my understanding.

3. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
    I recommend emailing them next time it’s full and telling them you want to participate, maybe mention that you’re a mountain biker.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    They know me well, but I realize you were responding to Brett. I think the ones that were full also happened to be the ones cancelled, but yes, always a good idea to reach out directly.

I appreciate your optimism Kurtis. I will continue to advocate for mt bike trails and continue to do trailwork whether through LCF or other authorized diggers. I've supported LCF for years and I will continue doing so, even though they can be very frustrating.

Faust29 and kdiff like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Huh not if this happened rode Rockit did not see a single indication of trail work ... Of course I could have missed it vision blurs at the speed I was traveling.. (not)

Hey @herzalot oh master of Aliso... On Car Wreck at The Drop facing down trail which line do you take Left Middle or Right (not P Line on far right) actual drop... Had not ridden it in a while... Did left it was ok I was a bit sloppy and solo had to take a look at it first. Thinking for next time.

DangerDirtyD and Old&InTheWay like this.
  7. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
    Trail work was on 5 Oaks.

8. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Oh the Path invite said Rockit yeah noticed some work on 5Oaks

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I just close my eyes and hope!

I think I hit it slightly left of center. This photo doesn't look airborne, and frankly, it looks nearly flat, but those who know know...

Car Wreck Huck 10-18.jpg

10. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yeah @herzalot it's much bigger than that in real life plus looking at that picture I think more of the soil below it is gone now That's about where I took it yesterday.

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    After seeing this thread I decided to hit Car Wreck today. Haven't been on that trail this calendar year. Love it!

Entering the "drop zone" I got bounced a little right of the line that's depicted above and hit it just right of center. Definitely more abrupt in the center or slight right. No worries (OK, I was a little worried). Just commit to the huck then head left upon landing to manage the hardest part of the trail.

bvader and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Oh yeah center is a huck for sure

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  13. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    There are some interesting dayglo orange marking sprayed on several places on lizards. a couple of the features and a low-hanging branch I was not sure what to make of it but I suspect maybe they're going to be worked on.

14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Did you see these recently? I removed them two weeks ago with permission from the ranger...They were not authorized and not for work, at least according to the ranger.

15. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Sorry Yes Sunday Night 7/14 very bright / new looking ... yeah the seemed to be marking Jump Points

herzalot and Redman like this.